HP screws windows for android

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Why are so many OEM'S screwing Windows for android? HP’s first Android tablet is $169 and will be at Mobile World Congress | Ars Technica
If you read the article, HP just made a seven inch Android tablet. And even Samsung screwed Windows RT plans for US. If windows cannot get the mainstream consumer tablet market, it will be harder to get the phone market without an ecosystem. How do you think Microsoft plans to get OEM'S back?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do not see RT being a big seller for OEMs at this point. HP couldn't sell an RT tablet as cheap as an Android tablet. HP does sell Windows 8 tablets, but it would not make business sense for HP to offer RT tablets currently. Android tablets and Windows 8 tablets make more sense from a current business standpoint, especially given HP's financial issues.

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I think you're overreacting and jumping to conclusions. HP and other OEMs releasing an Android tablet does not mean they are choosing to not also release Windows tablets at some point. That's like saying HTC is abandoning Windows Phone because they just released the One as an Android handset.

If anything they are probably waiting to see Windows RT and Windows 8 mature a little bit. During this time they will see how well the Surface and other devices sell and plan accordingly.

Finally, why do we care about HP? Their products have been crap for years. They look pretty but the quality is pretty poor, overall.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll be purchasing a new device, probably the Lenovo Yoga 13. I have zero interest in RT, but I do want a Windows 8 tablet.

Yeah, RT fills a niche that consumers mostly find confusing, and in short order probably won't matter anyway as x86 battery life improves.
All this being said, why is this HP "screwing" Microsoft? Is Dell "screwing" Microsoft by selling Ubuntu laptops in India? Companies release multiple products for different markets and different expected returns.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, RT fills a niche that consumers mostly find confusing, and in short order probably won't matter anyway as x86 battery life improves.
All this being said, why is this HP "screwing" Microsoft? Is Dell "screwing" Microsoft by selling Ubuntu laptops in India? Companies release multiple products for different markets and different expected returns.
RT would be useless for me. I want something that runs full Office (including Access/Publisher/Outlook), Photoshop, PC games, etc.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I must be in the minority. My surface tablet does everything I need. I can VPN into work and remote desktop to the servers. Don't even miss Outlook because I just go with Outlook web access from the Exchange Server. Going on vacation next week and it's going to be nice to just bring the Surface and not have to tote the laptop.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is HP screwing Microsoft as much as it is HP giving in. HP has already tried, and failed, to break away from MS when they made the Touchpad. The PC industry is still declining, most OEMs are bleeding money and Windows 8 didn't help reverse the slump like some had hoped. HP didn't take advantage of Windows 8 momentum. They did what many OEMs did. HP rehashed some old laptop designs, tried to play Apple's game by releasing "Ultrabooks" and released a handful of uninspired and expensive tablets. The point is, HP doesn't just want a new stream of revenue, they need a new stream of revenue. HP used to be the big dog on the block but (through their own ineptitude) they've been outpaced. Apple is now rich beyond comparison. Microsoft has also made record profits the past several years. And what does HP have to show? A ton of money wasted, a smartphone market so volatile they're too scared to even touch it, a failed attempt at creating their own WebOS ecosystem and a bunch of uninspired laptops. And who the heck at HP keeps making laptops with such terrible keyboards and touchpads!!! It's no wonder HP wants to make a quick buck off Android. They've screwed the pooch with everything else. And if HP doesn't play this right, they'll end up just like Sony; with a slew of low-selling Android tablets that only helps to put them further in debt.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
W8 tablets are still relatively new on the marketplace. It will take time for them to get more of foothold in the tablet sector.

Remember how the early Android tablets were total POS and barely made a dent on the iPad's sales? It takes time for things to gain popularity among the masses.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you're overreacting and jumping to conclusions. HP and other OEMs releasing an Android tablet does not mean they are choosing to not also release Windows tablets at some point. That's like saying HTC is abandoning Windows Phone because they just released the One as an Android handset.

If anything they are probably waiting to see Windows RT and Windows 8 mature a little bit. During this time they will see how well the Surface and other devices sell and plan accordingly.

Finally, why do we care about HP? Their products have been crap for years. They look pretty but the quality is pretty poor, overall.
I'm just saying even with their Chromebook it seems like for the average consumer these OEMS want us to use Google. Just my opinion

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I know. The title was exaggerated but I am making a point that we are now seeing a more diverse range of products rather than just WINDOWS WINDOWS WINDOWS

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft pretty much is last in the consumer tablet race at the moment, this wont really make any difference to that either way.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's the case that HP is abandoning MS as much as they are trying to branch out. The problem with tablets is no one really knows which way they will go. Yes iOS does have the lead by a good margin but the problem with apple, and look at any market they grow into, they will grow initially and then stop. Apple users are usually very loyal to the platform so apple probably won't decline but it probably won't grow either. I think windows 8 is making inroads into tablets because they are selling around the same price as android tablets are and lets be honest: would you rather buy an android tablet or a full windows 8 pc tablet for the same price and be able to do actual work on it? Window 8 has only been out for like 5 months now so I wouldn't jump the gun and say they aren't selling when they just launched. The problem I see with HP going into android is that its been consistently shown that only Samsung is really making money on android and nobody else really is. ASUS is a good example, I see them pushing windows tablets twice as hard as android at the moment because there's probably more money in it for them.

On reason why android is doing well is because they seized the 7" form factor quickly. Apparently Microsoft is already working on multiple 7" tablets so if they can get those out and charge only 250-300$ for it I think they can sell a boatload of windows RT tablets, especially considering that they're preloaded with office. Only time will tell though. Good news is that you can see Microsoft is acting quickly and not resting on their laurels like they have been doing in the past. Also I see windows 8 tablets selling extremely well in the business sector seeing as android security is a joke and apple doesn't offer the versatility that windows 8 does, especially considering the compatibility with legacy software that these companies have made.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I must be in the minority. My surface tablet does everything I need. I can VPN into work and remote desktop to the servers. Don't even miss Outlook because I just go with Outlook web access from the Exchange Server. Going on vacation next week and it's going to be nice to just bring the Surface and not have to tote the laptop.

No, you're not in the minority of those that have actually used one and don't just arbitrarily bash a product because it's the cool thing to do. The RT is pure genius and I challenge anyone to find a tablet with the same price that can do the same amount of stuff. If people would shut their mouths and actually investigate what it can do, they'd realize the RT makes the competition look way overpriced and not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, did anybody really want an HP Slate tablet running Windows?

Well......

I have a new Windows 8 desktop, so I really don't need a Windows 8 tablet or a RT tablet. However, there are only so many games in the Windows Store that I can reasonably play on my desktop (i.e. Where's My Water/Where's My Perry), so a HP tablet, with Windows 8 RT at $169...I'd buy it, just to have a touch screen device in which to play those games on.

Other than that, I'm really not interested in a tablet, much less one greater than $169.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
... Window 8 has only been out for like 5 months now so I wouldn't jump the gun and say they aren't selling when they just launched ...

I agree with everything you posted, but it's actually still less than 4 months since Windows 8 and WP8 were released. I'm only pointing that out because for about 3 of that 3.8 months people have been complaining about Windows 8 and WP8 products not being updated, taking major market share, or becoming self aware and dominating the human race fast enough. Skynet wasn't built in a day people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss