10-14-2014 11:07 PM
110 1234 ...
tools
    I'm not sure, maybe RT was reviewed as a tablet but how can you review a chrome book a laptop when it's just a browser but I do believe we are steering off course from the main subject
    03-03-2013 09:44 PM
    The verge gave the surface pro the same score as the pixel. Full fledged Windows OS and same battery life. Yeah...
    03-03-2013 09:54 PM
    I'm not sure, maybe RT was reviewed as a tablet but how can you review a chrome book a laptop when it's just a browser but I do believe we are steering off course from the main subject
    The subject here seems like a rant to me. I sense that irrelevance is welcome in this case. Either way, I'm done here.
    03-03-2013 09:56 PM
    The verge gave the surface pro the same score as the pixel. Full fledged Windows OS and same battery life. Yeah...
    Now there's a problem...Maybe there should be a thread started for this after all.
    03-03-2013 09:58 PM
    I like it a lot. I have a cheapo desktop Dell from '07. ~ I love it! I was amused when I saw XP at school one time.
    03-03-2013 10:34 PM
    To be totally honest. I've had no issue using Win8 with a mouse and keyboard. I am not a fan of poking at my LCD monitor since I've had nearly 15 years of people telling me not do it.
    Laura Knotek, WinFan1 and BIGPADDY like this.
    03-03-2013 10:49 PM
    I'm sick of young people that are so ******ed they can't pull up their pants. Jesus ****ing Christ, I'm trying to eat a burrito here. Put your *** away!
    theta_orionis likes this.
    03-03-2013 11:22 PM
    The subject here seems like a rant to me. I sense that irrelevance is welcome in this case. Either way, I'm done here.
    Rant? No rant, just an observation
    clbarker10 likes this.
    03-03-2013 11:23 PM
    So... people scare of changing from square icon shortcuts with transparent background on desktop to square icon with color background on Modern UI? Seem legit!
    BTW, I'm using W7 and the only reason keeps me away from W8 right now is because I'm working on my laptop, with project on going so reinstall OS'd create some mess. Right after I finish it, then W8 all the way
    03-03-2013 11:36 PM
    Rant? No rant, just an observation
    I got it.

Accepting change (not money) is the mark of a wise person. Our world is evolving people need to be one step ahead, not current but thinking ahead...especially not buried in the past. Just a philosophy of mine. People obviously have legitimate reason not to change and most are work related, but a lot of folks are just stubborn.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-03-2013 11:52 PM
    I don't really like w8, it looks really good, but it is confusing that there are 2 homescreens and some programs open in one homescreen and other programs open in the other one. It looks way to chaotic. I have to be honest, I haven't used it for long yet, but there is indeed a (sometimes frustrating) learning curve, and I'm wondering if the learning curve is worth all the trouble.
    03-04-2013 04:04 AM
    couldn't help but laugh at this thread...I'm in my mid 50's...not sure if you consider that old or not but I absolutely love Windows 8. Probably the most innovative, new and different thing I've seen in an operating system in quite a while. I've got a 28 year old daughter and 16 year old niece who think Windows 8 is, in their words, "weird" and "******ed" (my apologies...scolded the 16 year old about that) My daughter's fianc doesn't care for it either...(well he's a programmer and into Linux so he kinda doesn't count) Not all "old' people complain about Windows 8 and not all young people are as accepting of change as you think.

Windows 8 is...groovy man, groovy........
    03-04-2013 06:44 AM
    I think one thing is clear, you NEED a touch screen to really appreciate Win8. For now, on my ultrabook, without touch screen, I will stick with Win7 despite the fact that it can handle Win8. :)
    Absolutely agree with pkcable. At first, I was really turned off by Windows 8 consumer preview but I used it on a non- touchscreen laptop. But when I went to Bestbuy later to try the new windows 8 laptops I was really blown away by how the experience completely changed! Microsoft has a great product, but it will take time for people to switch and learn how to use it.
    Touch screen IS the only way to truly appreciate W8. And if your hardware is worth what you paid for it, the touchpad has very capable gestures to accommodate UI. Touch IS the next interface. MS did a pretty good job with layout. But like others have stated, if I didn't have touch, I would just stick with W7. Also, boot time on W8 is like 10sec compared to 1-2min on W7. Worth the upgrade for that alone.
    I almost completely disagree with you guys. On the "need" point I disagree completely. Does it enhance the experience? Yes. "need" it though. Not at all. First let me point out that you can live completely on the desktop with W8 without requiring the start Modern UI screen OR a menu button. Unless you really do have 500 programs installed all of which you use often it's very little trouble to pin all but your most seldom used programs to either your desktop or taskbar. Problem solved folks, you need only ever see the ModernUI screen on bootup and that's it. Now you can Mouse/KB all day just like you did with W7.

Second and more important point, Windows 8 is faster than 7, and has more stability features built right into the OS. For example you can "refresh" windows 8 to a clean re-install right from your settings menu, either a completely wipe and reinstall or a reinstall that keeps your personal files. Roll up your sleeves and get down and dirty with how-to's on windows 8 before you pass your judgements on exactly what it's about and how it works after just a few days :P On a serious note, I really do believe "drive-by" quick users of Windows 8 are responsible for 80% or more of the rapid judgements people, including reviewers, are giving it. You need to really spend a longer time to reach your comfort zone. Did you learn all your favorite Windows 7 optimizing tips and tricks in a week or two? I'm betting you all were still discovering "AHA!" things about W7 6 months later just like everyone else.

Look under the hood at the engine people, don't just look at the bodywork and cabin. Faster kernel, more stable, uses better drivers, there are better tools in 8 to analyze and run your PC, faster rendering software, and much more. Your "need touchscreen" quickie judgements are like saying the only difference between a 1970's Camaro and the new modern version released a couple of years ago is that the new one uses a key fob to unlock your doors. Does Windows 8 have a "killer feature" you must have to make you upgrade from 7 if you're using mouse/KB? No not really. But for just $40 on the possibility I will at some point go touch? Um hello, heck yeah!
    Laura Knotek and ny_yankees like this.
    03-04-2013 09:23 AM
    I like it a lot. I have a cheapo desktop Dell from '07. ~ I love it! I was amused when I saw XP at school one time.
    What amused you?
    03-04-2013 10:12 AM
    Windows 8 really isn't that hard to get.
    It took me like 10-15 mins to really figure stuff out.

Granted some stuff is moved around a bit(i sometimes have to hunt for the control panel)

but windows 8 is phenomenal to me.

I used it for about 3 months on my old laptop(which i am typing on right now)

I moved over to the surface and i love using it there. But people always make windows 8 out to be awful on non-touchscreen laptops...it really isn't and it is so much faster than 7.

People just need time to adjust lol
    03-04-2013 10:27 AM
    I agree if people just took the time to just learn the new stuff, they would have no problem with it. But as the user omniusovermind said these "drive by" reviewers are what's killing the Windows 8 reputation. It's really annoying to see a great product having a hard time in the market because of incorrect information.
    Nogitsune Micah and Jaskys like this.
    03-04-2013 01:04 PM
    couldn't help but laugh at this thread...I'm in my mid 50's...not sure if you consider that old or not but I absolutely love Windows 8. Probably the most innovative, new and different thing I've seen in an operating system in quite a while. I've got a 28 year old daughter and 16 year old niece who think Windows 8 is, in their words, "weird" and "******ed" (my apologies...scolded the 16 year old about that) My daughter's fianc doesn't care for it either...(well he's a programmer and into Linux so he kinda doesn't count) Not all "old' people complain about Windows 8 and not all young people are as accepting of change as you think.

Windows 8 is...groovy man, groovy........
    Lol sorry I wasn't trying to be an agist, just observing that most, not all, in the older generation are the ones who are having the most trouble with Win 8 and hence why we are getting so many negative reviews of Win 8. Now of course I have seen people in my generation complain too and usually those are people who are not very tech savvy
    03-04-2013 01:07 PM
    I began programming 52 years ago and have been confused by every new release in every system since then. Only takes about half an hour to get my mind right, tho. Then all is cool again.
    celikkoseoglu and horseybob like this.
    03-04-2013 01:13 PM
    Hello,

Like it or not windows8 is a UI travesty on the desktop, using a vertical touchscreen is exhausting and leaves you looking at a dirty mess.
    03-04-2013 01:14 PM
    Took me 2 weeks to get used to a few changes in how I did things. Now I wouldn't go back. BUT: First time in installed the beta, I uninstalled immediately, It was painful. MS needs to do a better job to get a "how to" out to new users.
    03-04-2013 01:48 PM
    I began programming 52 years ago and have been confused by every new release in every system since then. Only takes about half an hour to get my mind right, tho. Then all is cool again.
    Respect. 52 years :)
    rdubmu likes this.
    03-04-2013 01:51 PM
    Oh my god windows 8 sucks, windows xp for the win!
    And seriouslly, windows 8 is pretty good with ten times better performance then win7 and metro allows easy multitasking, but i would like to see more "usefull" apps and better sync with other microsoft products.
    03-04-2013 01:55 PM
    I am 26 and I think Windows 8 sucks. I have a 24" screen desktop PC. Metro makes no sense on it. I hate it. I LOVE it on a Windows PHONE but not on a desktop PC. So I complain. Deal with it :D
    03-04-2013 02:00 PM
    I think some of you are having trouble with Metro on your mouse/keyboard PC is because: You keep forcing yourself to use it! Don't. Simply switch over to the desktop and stay there. There's no reason you need to use the Metro UI on a regular no-touch desktop PC. No reason at all. So stop trying to force yourself into using it just because "it's there". It's there as a bonus for touchscreens, that is all. I never used the Start button menu on my Windows 7 machine, it simply wasn't needed for anything at all. There was no point in taking 1 added step to start up a program in Windows 7 either when you could just pin everything to your desktop/taskbar. Name me one task you needed to use the windows 7 start button for that you can't do equally well without it on W8. Just kidding, that was a rhetorical question because there isn't.
    03-04-2013 02:45 PM
    I think some of you are having trouble with Metro on your mouse/keyboard PC is because: You keep forcing yourself to use it! Don't. Simply switch over to the desktop and stay there. There's no reason you need to use the Metro UI on a regular no-touch desktop PC. No reason at all. So stop trying to force yourself into using it just because "it's there". It's there as a bonus for touchscreens, that is all. I never used the Start button menu on my Windows 7 machine, it simply wasn't needed for anything at all. There was no point in taking 1 added step to start up a program in Windows 7 either when you could just pin everything to your desktop/taskbar. Name me one task you needed to use the windows 7 start button for that you can't do equally well without it on W8. Just kidding, that was a rhetorical question because there isn't.
    I use a lot of Metro apps, such as games etc, as well as Metro Skype, Metro IE, Metro WP app, etc. So the Metro apps are a boon to me, and they aren't desktop. I love using Metro apps even without touch-screen, so your point could collapse there. Most people will struggle to get used to it though.
    rdubmu and Jazmac like this.
    03-04-2013 02:49 PM
110 1234 ...