So sick and tired of these old people whining about Windows 8

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree.

I think Windows 8 is actually a everything old is new again system. Full screen apps DOS had that, plain flat graphics any version of Windows prior to Vista had it. For an encore Blue is getting rid of multitasking to increase OS stability LOL :)

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Touchscreen devices are only going to become more prevalent, so folks might as well get used to the idea of new ways of navigating their computers.

Of course, voice navigation will become more advanced as well.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Touchscreen devices are only going to become more prevalent, so folks might as well get used to the idea of new ways of navigating their computers.

Of course, voice navigation will become more advanced as well.

THIS

Its like when the mouse was introduced. It completely changes the dynamics of interacting with computers. So has touch.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows 8 is awesome. Hating on Microsoft is just cool now. IE10 is a great browser but everyone makes fun of it still. Bing is a great search engine but for some reason people are stuck on Google. Windows Phone is very intuitive and fluid, but everyone assumes it will get viruses and be complicated because its Windows. Windows was always viewed as a necessary evil. You had to have it because of work or college or whatever. Then Microsoft releases Windows 8, which looks great, works great, and is future proofed for touch, and everyone hates on it because its what? Too functional? You mean I can own something the same size as my iPad but I can actually create with it? Oh man, that really sucks.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well not the news I wanted to read

Four months after being released into the wild, no one seems to care thatMicrosoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) Windows 8 has been desperately trying to reinvent the desktop PC experience. According to Net Applications, February was a downright awful month for Windows 8; it only gained 0.4% more of the desktop PC market. Since its debut, Windows 8 has only picked up an embarrassingly low 2.67% market share. For those keeping track at home, this pace is so awful that Microsoft Vista actually commanded more of the market after the same amount of time. Yikes. Considering that 65% of Windows-based PC sales are based on consumer spending, there's no possible way this development could be a good thing for Microsoft investors looking for share appreciation.
Nokia to the rescue?Working in Microsoft's favor is the fact that the majority of the next 2 billion Internet users coming online over the next three to five years will experience the Internet for the first time on a mobile device. Moreover, the majority of these users will come from emerging markets, which could potentially work to Microsoft's advantage because these markets are likely to have less mindshare. In other words, its nascent ecosystem may not prove to be much of an issue and instead, it may come down to a price versus value decision.
That said, partnering with a company like Nokia (NYSE: NOK) could become Microsoft's winning strategy in emerging markets.

Windows 8 Sales Grind to a Halt (MSFT)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably what you consider one of these "old" people. Yet I was running Windows 8 preview on my laptop in a virtual machine. I also have a Surface RT and Lumia 920. Am proficient and enjoy all of them. Yet I talk with friends in their 20's all the time and many of them whine about Windows 8. Sometimes blanket statements aren't necessarily true.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I particularly love the people who complain about the lack of a start button and how Windows 8 isn't good for their productivity in the same breath. If you're reaching over from your keyboard to your mouse just to open the start menu, you're doing it wrong. You are your own biggest obstacle to being productive, stop blaming OS changes.

Seriously. If you care about getting the most out of technology and being productive, learn the tools you have and explore new ones. It recently became important for me to keep notes synced between multiple devices. I dumped my current workflow of 7 Sticky Notes on my PCs and Note+ on the phone, spent a few hours over two nights learning Evernote and OneNote, and I'm now set for the next three years. (Settled with OneNote, didn't see why I'd pay for Evernote Premium just to get local note storage.) In such a rapidly iterating industry, it's highly beneficial to relearn and rethink workflows.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I particularly love the people who complain about the lack of a start button and how Windows 8 isn't good for their productivity in the same breath. If you're reaching over from your keyboard to your mouse just to open the start menu, you're doing it wrong. You are your own biggest obstacle to being productive, stop blaming OS changes.
Power users would be familiar with keyboard shortcuts in Windows 7 (or earlier versions) too. They just need to become familiar with the new keyboard shortcuts. I can see where power users would miss pressing the win key to open the start menu, since that's been around for a long time (at least since Windows 98).

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Running Windows 8 on my Asus G75 NONE Touch screen and I couldn't be happier.....i don't want smudge marks on my PC...ill leave that for the tablets and phones.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Im running Windows 8 and i LOVE IT!

its much more fast than Windows 7 and the interface is the same in desktop, plus you have the Metro Screen wich looks beautiful let me say!

Plenty of good apps aswell but i think apps are useless in a Full Windows 8 machine since you have everything on the internet. Still i love to play with some apps (Games), its pretty good and the Photo Apps is outstanding!

Also news apps are priceless, outstanding. love them.

Oh and Tune in is amazing, doing wonders for me... Too bad Microsoft doesnt let me use Xbox Music anymore since my account is from United Kingdom and im in Portugal but since i dont WANT to change my Region because Xbox Live in Portugal is pretty terrible, so i just use Spotify :3

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Overall I'm pleased with the performance of Windows 8. It boots & runs faster than Win7. But here are a couple issues I've found in the few months I've used it:

1. In the Metro UI the split screen is either 25/75 or 75/25. I'm not sure why MS couldn't have at least included 50/50, if not infinitely adjustable.
2. Using the corners for bringing up menus requires precision if you have more than 1 screen. You can't just slam your cursor into an inside corner.
3. Since at this point it's not possible to work in the Metro UI 100% of the time, it requires jumping back and forth. Not a big deal, but because behavior is different, it is necessary to always be aware of which one you're in at the moment.

But still, at the end of the day I'll take Windows 8 over anything else.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Overall I'm pleased with the performance of Windows 8. It boots & runs faster than Win7. But here are a couple issues I've found in the few months I've used it:

1. In the Metro UI the split screen is either 25/75 or 75/25. I'm not sure why MS couldn't have at least included 50/50, if not infinitely adjustable.
2. Using the corners for bringing up menus requires precision if you have more than 1 screen. You can't just slam your cursor into an inside corner.
3. Since at this point it's not possible to work in the Metro UI 100% of the time, it requires jumping back and forth. Not a big deal, but because behavior is different, it is necessary to always be aware of which one you're in at the moment.

But still, at the end of the day I'll take Windows 8 over anything else.

I find the corners issue is less of a problem because they have hooks that you catch on near the corners. These hook spots are big enough to prevent you from accidentally slipping over to the other monitors (I run 3 individual, triple wide surround for gaming). The one problem I do have is keeping the mouse cursor in that narrow strip on the charms bar. Sometimes when navigating downward to shut down I slip too far to the side and it closes on me.

The workaround to this is to use windows key + C.

Last edited:

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
believe me, so am I. I sell computers and people around 30 or less seem to have little to no problems with windows 8. people in their 60's or so come to the store and the first thing they say is "I want a computer with windows 7, I've heard windows 8 is bad...". They've never tried windows 8, they just know its bad from tech websites and stuff, websites with *GREAT* reviews like consumer reports and cnet.... (obvious sarcasm).

Seriously though, I just tell people to install programs lke classic shell or start 8 and that it essentially works and functions exactly like windows 7. Seriously though, With the blue update for windows 8 coming out in the summer, MS should definitely consider letting people disable metro for desktops and laptops and put a start button there. The really good thing I see that oems are doing to help is to make laptops touch screen. Already I'm seeing 500-600 laptops with touch screens so once they can get the price down to like 300-400$, which inevitably they will, windows 8 will do fine.

Whenever I sell a windows 8 pc, I HIGHLY recommend people buying a touchscreen laptop or convertible as they really improve the usability. Also remember that old people also complain about the ipad. I'm a MS ****** if anything, but I have to give credit where credit is due and for basic surfing and email, which is what most people do on a computer, the iPad is quite possibly the simplest computer I have ever used in my life. I try to recommend windows 8 tablets as they can do so much more for the same price but iOS is still simpler to use...I mean it has one button.

Just remember that old people always resist change on computers and before windows 8 came out and windows 7 was out, old people were still asking for xp.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
believe me, so am I. I sell computers and people around 30 or less seem to have little to no problems with windows 8. people in their 60's or so come to the store and the first thing they say is "I want a computer with windows 7, I've heard windows 8 is bad...". They've never tried windows 8, they just know its bad from tech websites and stuff, websites with *GREAT* reviews like consumer reports and cnet.... (obvious sarcasm).

Seriously though, I just tell people to install programs lke classic shell or start 8 and that it essentially works and functions exactly like windows 7. Seriously though, With the blue update for windows 8 coming out in the summer, MS should definitely consider letting people disable metro for desktops and laptops and put a start button there. The really good thing I see that oems are doing to help is to make laptops touch screen. Already I'm seeing 500-600 laptops with touch screens so once they can get the price down to like 300-400$, which inevitably they will, windows 8 will do fine.

Whenever I sell a windows 8 pc, I HIGHLY recommend people buying a touchscreen laptop or convertible as they really improve the usability. Also remember that old people also complain about the ipad. I'm a MS ****** if anything, but I have to give credit where credit is due and for basic surfing and email, which is what most people do on a computer, the iPad is quite possibly the simplest computer I have ever used in my life. I try to recommend windows 8 tablets as they can do so much more for the same price but iOS is still simpler to use...I mean it has one button.

Just remember that old people always resist change on computers and before windows 8 came out and windows 7 was out, old people were still asking for xp.
i would prefer in wintablets didnt have any buttons at all and wintablets also have one button by the way. windows 8 is so good gesture wise you need no buttons :D

Maybebaby Rasmussen

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Spoken like someone that uses a computer as a toy, and not a tool for productivity. Us adults (re: old) actually use computing devices to aide in work productivity, and not primarily a social media/game interface. If you understand how an actual computer works, you would understand ANY bell and whistle added equates to loss of computing power and time involved to accessing the actual computing request needed. Sure, it looks "cool", but the last time I looked, "cool" doesn't make a more sensible bottom line. Touch screen was created to streamline POS and kiosk-like information centers, as well as environments where allowing people to gain access to the actual power a computer offers is not needed, or prudent. Touch screen was a simplified way to say yes/no basically. It made it's way to smaller devices because true interface devices are too large to pair with such devices, so the user is sacrificing the ease of a true, useable interface with something far "clunkier" in-order to preserve the small device profile. Every operating system has it's place, but forcing computer users to accept the dumbed-down version of an interface is a lost cause. Ask the MS exec who got canned for ramrodding Win8 into existence. This is not a matter of "old" people keeping with the times, it's a matter of flashy graphics and useless interim steps between me and the job I need to do. Enjoy your toy. I need my tool back. (insert your sophomoric humor here "youngster")

David Dunshea

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I think your just to young to see that it getting worse rather than better. Microsoft software is getting more bugs and crashes more than ever. Maybe they should fix what they have instead of releasing a whole lot of new bugs with each version. As a developer it doesn't matter how precise i write a program it crashes and i have to provide the support for Microsofts buggy platform.

Us old people can see what was a great company going down the drain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb