Awesome! MS updates Skype for iOS, again. /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Skype could stop working on everything but Microsoft platforms for a couple of months, just to make a handful of WP8 users happy, and in the mean time, they just start dropping numerous times more users to competing platforms, then make themselves a bigger hill to climb on the more important platforms.
I don't think the currently working versions of Skype on other platforms are going to stop working overnight if they just focus on fixing some of the bugs on the WP version of the app... or at least if they acknowledged that there is a problem and they're actively/still looking into it. It's like, out of the blue they're adding new features to a perfectly good version of Skype on competing platforms when... hello... new features would be nice here on WP but all we really need is to make the app work as it's been advertised to work (and I don't just mean for the handful of sporadic people who have no problems. I mean make it work for EVERYONE consistently). Or, you know, at least make it function decently without bugs.

And if we assume that all the problems with Skype actually are WP8 related, and Microsoft's vision of how Skype would flawlessly work was just a pipe dream, it would be nice if someone would pipe up every so often and say, "We're still trying to optimize the experience and realize that there are some bugs we need to work out"... rather than saying nothing and adding new features to other platforms.

wpstan

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Skype for Windows Phone 8 is bad right now..lots of bug fixes needed..can't even use messanger right now..app needs a lot of work

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
A big update to Skype on Windows phone 8 and Windows 8 is coming. There was a post about it this week.

There was also recently a job posting on Microsoft website for a project leader for Skype on Windows Phone 8. Maybe its a resource problem more than a "we cant be bothered problem" iOS and android devs are ten to the dozen how many solid WP8 project managers and devs with skype knowledge are out there on a platform thats 5 months old?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There was also recently a job posting on Microsoft website for a project leader for Skype on Windows Phone 8. Maybe its a resource problem more than a "we cant be bothered problem" iOS and android devs are ten to the dozen how many solid WP8 project managers and devs with skype knowledge are out there on a platform thats 5 months old?

Makes sense actually. Hopefully this is the start of something big, REALLY BIG!

sahil123

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When I switched from my BB 9900, I was seriously considering all platforms. Windows Phone looked like a good choice till I found out that Microsoft always kept its users waiting. They've promised a lot and delivered late. I might switch platforms again from my SGS3 but it definitely won't be WP if microsoft keeps this kind of attitude.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
And once again, like with fe. Gameloft games, I doubt it's the same crew working on both platforms necessarily, so it doesn't mean that it's necessarily away from us that they work hard on the iOS app too.

I have Skype installed on all machines, but no one I know actively uses it really, so this doesn't really matter to me. I do hope though that now as a Microsoft product it can take marketshare from it's competitors and all that stuff and iOS is where the marketshare is up for grabs.

That said, I could be wrong and it could be the same people who worth on both iOS and WP app of Skype, but in most cases that isn't always the case.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
.That said, I could be wrong and it could be the same people who worth on both iOS and WP app of Skype, but in most cases that isn't always the case.

No, you are correct. Skype added many individuals to their separate Android and iOS teams before being bought up by MS. The WP team is also separate. What I'd like to know is how big each of these teams are.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No, you are correct. Skype added many individuals to their separate Android and iOS teams before being bought up by MS. The WP team is also separate. What I'd like to know is how big each of these teams are.

Yup, as explained in the last thread, Skype had a dedicated iOS/Android team long before MS came along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon