03-09-2013 06:12 AM
31 12
tools
    Microsoft keeps putting resources into competitive platforms as their own platform, Windows Phone, sits with a barely usable "beta", Skype app. Ugh.

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-...ng-experience/
    03-07-2013 02:05 PM
    I saw that not very happy. Steve needs to knock some heads together.
    03-07-2013 02:07 PM
    Microsoft Updates Skype App For iOS With New Calling Experience | WMPoweruser

Microsoft is doing good job updating Skype for iOS and let's windows phone with Skype BETA.
    03-07-2013 02:13 PM
    Guess they know where the marketshare is, and develop accordingly :(

While it does seem to make sense (ensure greatest # of people have access to Skype so they will want to pay for subscriptions and Skype-out mins and such) it's ridiculous that they're barely touching the WP version. Dedicate a team for Skype WP and get it done! I mean, if someone moves iPhone to WP, they're going to look at Skype thinking "WTF?" You kind of expect a company to - you know - have the best experience on their own platforms.
    03-07-2013 02:13 PM
    I actually do not know how you mark a thread as a repost here...I just did the /!\ thing, but that didn't seem like the right way.

Repost. http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...s-again-s.html
    03-07-2013 02:21 PM
    You are entirely correct. It is a matter of not dollars, but pride, that and the hyper competitive environment means WP gets left in the dust, we will see how well they replace messenger with Skype, the Zune experience (I don't use it but seeing others struggle) leaves me cautious.
    03-07-2013 02:24 PM
    Threads merged.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-07-2013 02:28 PM
    If you're tired of this BS I suggest you spam this page with complaints.
    Windows Phone - Skype Community
    03-07-2013 02:40 PM
    Faaaaaaaaaantastic.
    03-07-2013 02:51 PM
    Drives me a little crazy too, but Skype is one of the few hooks MS has to grab iOS and Android users (more so iOS).
    03-07-2013 03:06 PM
    I've got it, on an inside source, that MS is working on a new Skype release for WP8 in the comming weeks. My source...Lemmiwinks!
    03-07-2013 03:42 PM
    Shame on you Microsoft, the best Skype experience should be on your own platform. They should downgrade the Android and iOS versions and run permanent Ads in them 'Best experienced on Windows Phone' :D
    03-07-2013 04:19 PM
    Boy, the crying over stupid stuff on this forum never ceases to amaze me.
    03-07-2013 07:33 PM
    Meanwhile it barely works on WP, their own OS.

Wonderful.
    03-07-2013 08:07 PM
    Patience peeps.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    03-07-2013 09:19 PM
    Patience peeps.
    I've been waiting since WP7 on my Samsung Focus. :)
    03-08-2013 01:30 AM
    Patience peeps.
    .........................................................................................................
    03-08-2013 02:11 AM
    Hmm lets see. Upgrading an app with new features vs converting an app so its baked directly into the OS.

Wonder which takes longer?
    03-08-2013 02:23 AM
    Hmm lets see. Upgrading an app with new features vs converting an app so its baked directly into the OS.

Wonder which takes longer?
    so you're telling me they started to work on the Skype app AFTER Windows Phone 8 was released? That's royally screwed up. You'd assume the development was happening side by side with WP8; but apparently this is Microsoft. I bet the Skype team hasn't ever met with anyone from the Windows Phone team. Microsoft is like a company within a company within a company
    03-08-2013 02:48 AM
    Why do people not understand why Microsoft do this?

On iOS/PC/etc, there are numerous competing services, all fighting to be the best.

Skype could stop working on everything but Microsoft platforms for a couple of months, just to make a handful of WP8 users happy, and in the mean time, they just start dropping numerous times more users to competing platforms, then make themselves a bigger hill to climb on the more important platforms.

Maybe all the problems, that are holding up Skype on WP8 are actually WP8 related, rather than Skype related. It wouldn't be a supprise, being that WP7 stopped half the functionality of Skype working.
    lippidp likes this.
    03-08-2013 03:00 AM
    Skype could stop working on everything but Microsoft platforms for a couple of months, just to make a handful of WP8 users happy, and in the mean time, they just start dropping numerous times more users to competing platforms, then make themselves a bigger hill to climb on the more important platforms.
    I don't think the currently working versions of Skype on other platforms are going to stop working overnight if they just focus on fixing some of the bugs on the WP version of the app... or at least if they acknowledged that there is a problem and they're actively/still looking into it. It's like, out of the blue they're adding new features to a perfectly good version of Skype on competing platforms when... hello... new features would be nice here on WP but all we really need is to make the app work as it's been advertised to work (and I don't just mean for the handful of sporadic people who have no problems. I mean make it work for EVERYONE consistently). Or, you know, at least make it function decently without bugs.

And if we assume that all the problems with Skype actually are WP8 related, and Microsoft's vision of how Skype would flawlessly work was just a pipe dream, it would be nice if someone would pipe up every so often and say, "We're still trying to optimize the experience and realize that there are some bugs we need to work out"... rather than saying nothing and adding new features to other platforms.
    03-08-2013 03:15 AM
    Skype for Windows Phone 8 is bad right now..lots of bug fixes needed..can't even use messanger right now..app needs a lot of work
    03-08-2013 03:24 AM
    A big update to Skype on Windows phone 8 and Windows 8 is coming. There was a post about it this week.
    HeyCori and rockstarzzz like this.
    03-08-2013 07:41 AM
    A big update to Skype on Windows phone 8 and Windows 8 is coming. There was a post about it this week.
    There was also recently a job posting on Microsoft website for a project leader for Skype on Windows Phone 8. Maybe its a resource problem more than a "we cant be bothered problem" iOS and android devs are ten to the dozen how many solid WP8 project managers and devs with skype knowledge are out there on a platform thats 5 months old?
    03-08-2013 08:01 AM
    There was also recently a job posting on Microsoft website for a project leader for Skype on Windows Phone 8. Maybe its a resource problem more than a "we cant be bothered problem" iOS and android devs are ten to the dozen how many solid WP8 project managers and devs with skype knowledge are out there on a platform thats 5 months old?
    Makes sense actually. Hopefully this is the start of something big, REALLY BIG!
    03-08-2013 08:10 AM
31 12