05-21-2013 09:59 PM
176 ... 45678
tools
    It was the sole reason people moved to Gmail, including myself.
    Yep. Me too. And I don't think they even read your emails back then ;-)
    04-02-2013 01:01 AM
    GMail was the first one to actually give people legitimate storage space. I remember when Yahoo had ridiculously small storage space for free accounts (don't remember the amount) but Gmail owned Yahoo and Hotmail in that department. It was the sole reason people moved to Gmail, including myself.
    It's true about the 2GB gmail space for 1 account. But to call it legitimate storage space it's a bit stretched :). But it marked a point in time. Mail become a method to store data accessible anywhere from the web. It paved the way to cloud storage. It's only downside it teaches people to become more lazy :) and block their corporate email accounts because they never clear them. Beside that all is good.
    04-02-2013 01:09 AM
    Yep. Me too. And I don't think they even read your emails back then ;-)
    Here you are wrong :) They read your email even back then just their add machine was not tuned right back then.
    04-02-2013 01:10 AM
    That's so sweet...and naive. I'm 53 and remember when Microsoft was the evil Satan with its fingers in everyone's pockets and governments around the world seeking to limit its seemingly boundless powers. I remember when Google was the white knight that saved us from the tyranny of having to pay for an email account and was considered really 'cool' because it gave us all this great tech for free.

Microsoft, Google, Apple - they are all for-profit companies beholden to their shareholders. They are not beloved members of our family nor generous benefactors with our best interests at heart. Nor are they inherently evil. They all exist in a capitalist economy and their main aim is to separate us from as much of our money as possible. If that requires them to be nice, they will be nice. If it requires them to screw us, they will screw us. Essentially they are as good and as bad as each other, but they are in different market positions and phases of growth and expansion. Therefore they are each using different tactics at the moment to get the upper hand. But as the market and there positions change, so will their tactics. So best not to get too attached.
    Oh how things change. Now that is in reverse. I mean you never hear Microsoft in trouble with privacy or advertising scams do you, its always google. Just goes to show how having too much power corrupts people and businesses. Sure, Microsoft, Apple and Google are businesses that want money from you, its the way in which the 3 go about it is very different. Google would rather take your search history and then shove adverts at the side of your youtube video or go through you gmail to see what you have been sending people, all in the same of advertising. Similar story with android phones.
    04-02-2013 06:30 AM
    Nice post . I mean you never hear Microsoft in trouble with privacy or advertising scams do you, its always google. Just goes to show how having too much power corrupts people and businesses.
    acdsee.com
    Oliver Newell likes this.
    04-04-2013 11:11 AM
    Today, I read the rumor of Google wanting to buy WhatsApp... And the PC market is still shrinking, Windows 8 is still considered a "fail", while Chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular. It's stuff like this that makes me fear we'll live in a Google-oriented world in 2020...
    04-06-2013 11:04 AM
    Today, I read the rumor of Google wanting to buy WhatsApp... And the PC market is still shrinking, Windows 8 is still considered a "fail", while Chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular. It's stuff like this that makes me fear we'll live in a Google-oriented world in 2020...
    In what reality are chromebooks actually getting used? They dont even register in Internet statistics yet, odd for an os that has to live online don't you think?
    Laura Knotek, JamesDax and WinFan1 like this.
    04-06-2013 02:03 PM
    Exactly my thought. I would rather buy notebook with android than with chrome. Chromebooks are overpriced and definitely not popular.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    04-06-2013 02:52 PM
    today, i read the rumor of google wanting to buy whatsapp... And the pc market is still shrinking, windows 8 is still considered a "fail", while chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular. It's stuff like this that makes me fear we'll live in a google-oriented world in 2020...
    rotflmao!!
    04-07-2013 09:12 AM
    Microsoft, Google, Apple - they are all for-profit companies beholden to their shareholders.
    Hit the nail on the head. It's funny when seemingly rational people believe that companies (mostly Google these days) acts out of the kindness of their hearts.
    04-07-2013 10:22 PM
    Google is bad!
    http://www.slashgear.com/microsofts-...ogle-12277621/

sent from the slow as hell connection hanging Tapatalk app
    04-12-2013 08:55 PM
    I don't think it is the search engines job to filter out websites, based on their technical content. IMHO the only sites which search engines should censor are those directly enabling illegal activity (drug trafficking, terrorism recruitment, etc).

Ensuring technical safety is the browsers and OS' job, not the search engines. It would have been far more relevant to test how many of those sites are able to score a successful attack and through which browsers. IE is one of the safest browsers out there. If IE does its job, then these test results are irrelevant.

I would actually prefer it if neither censored anything.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-12-2013 09:41 PM
    04-12-2013 09:45 PM
    I don't think it is the search engines job to filter out websites, based on their technical content. IMHO the only sites which search engines should censor are those directly enabling illegal activity (drug trafficking, terrorism recruitment, etc).

Ensuring technical safety is the browsers and OS' job, not the search engines. It would have been far more relevant to test how many of those sites are able to score a successful attack and through which browsers. IE is one of the safest browsers out there. If IE does its job, then these test results are irrelevant.

I would actually prefer it if neither censored anything.
    From the original report:
    Up-to-Date Systems Are More Secure
    The infected websites mostly use malware that exploits existing security vulnerabilities in users’ software. These vulnerabilities normally involve outdated browsers, old add-ons or extensions and out-of-date versions of PDF readers.

Users can drastically reduce the likelihood of infection by keeping the software on their systems up to date. They can also guarantee that they have the best possible protection by additionally using high-quality security software that is constantly updated.
    It does not even say which browsers were used in the test.
    04-12-2013 09:48 PM
    It does not even say which browsers were used in the test.
    Yeah, kind of understandable though, since they were testing search engines and not browsers. The exact opposite of what would have been an interesting test.

Yes it is.
    You talking to me? If so, then ???
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-12-2013 10:19 PM
    None of this really affects my point. Which is that MS aren't any more angelic than anyone else, despite some of the extreme viewpoints I've seen expressed

04-12-2013 10:26 PM
    Yeah, kind of understandable though, since they were testing search engines and not browsers. The exact opposite of what would have been an interesting test.

You talking to me? If so, then ???
    Your post wasn't there when I started to write it. But back at ya anyway!
    04-12-2013 10:29 PM
    None of this really affects my point. Which is that MS aren't any more angelic than anyone else, despite some of the extreme viewpoints I've seen expressed
    I agree that none of these companies are angelic. They all want our money. However, the article isn't helping you make that point, because the test results are on the verge of complete irrelevancy for the reasons Laura and I mentioned.

Your post wasn't there when I started to write it. But back at ya anyway!
    For consistencies sake... ?????????????????????????
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-12-2013 10:37 PM
    I use nothing that is Google. I stopped using Google search about a year ago. Far to many search results do not even contain the search word, even when you select 'text in the page'
    04-12-2013 11:53 PM
    I agree that none of these companies are angelic. They all want our money. However, the article isn't helping you make that point, because the test results are on the verge of complete irrelevancy for the reasons Laura and I mentioned.
    That's because it wasn't directed at you ;)

04-13-2013 02:34 AM
    I'm scared of Google. I kept getting pop ups about my id in Youtube and now I get a email that they have set up a Google+ account for me. I don't recall asking for it and I don't want it.
    04-13-2013 08:34 AM
    I'm scared of Google. I kept getting pop ups about my id in Youtube and now I get a email that they have set up a Google+ account for me. I don't recall asking for it and I don't want it.
    You can delete your Google+ account just like a did, i have a Youtube account that uses gmail and i use gmail to log into Google and Chrome to Sync tabs when im not at home.

Just that, plain and simple.
    04-13-2013 07:23 PM
    I think Microsoft is afraid of Google, not even Microsoft but Nokia(a group of 17 companies) too scared of Google.
    I think that because - Microsoft always compare their product/services with Google and say it is better( product/service like Bing compare with Google search, IE compare with Google Chrome)
    Microsoft always complain about Google. But never see Google is comparing their product with Microsoft.(not in last 3-4 years)

In my opinion Google is better than Microsoft,
    Lets take example of Bing.
    I used Bing but Bing results are not as good as Google. I have to be more specific while using Bing.
    I am using Lumia 620 and Microsoft Window Phone 8 is full of compromises(lack of very basic features). Many things are complicated.
    The only reason I purchased Lumia phone because I trust Nokia.

So, I think instead of focusing on Google, Microsoft must come-up with something better than Google.

If Microsoft fight with their using their products(without comparing Google product) only, and provide all features according to users needs then only, Microsoft can beat Google.
    04-13-2013 09:58 PM
    I think Microsoft is afraid of Google, not even Microsoft but Nokia(a group of 17 companies) too scared of Google.
    I think that because - Microsoft always compare their product/services with Google and say it is better( product/service like Bing compare with Google search, IE compare with Google Chrome)
    Microsoft always complain about Google. But never see Google is comparing their product with Microsoft.(not in last 3-4 years)

In my opinion Google is better than Microsoft,
    Lets take example of Bing.
    I used Bing but Bing results are not as good as Google. I have to be more specific while using Bing.
    I am using Lumia 620 and Microsoft Window Phone 8 is full of compromises(lack of very basic features). Many things are complicated.
    The only reason I purchased Lumia phone because I trust Nokia.

So, I think instead of focusing on Google, Microsoft must come-up with something better than Google.

If Microsoft fight with their using their products(without comparing Google product) only, and provide all features according to users needs then only, Microsoft can beat Google.
    They have already come up with many things better than Google.

Windows, IE10, Outlook, Office, Xbox... Even Search bing seems far better in countries is isnt BETA.

Although some things depend on personal taste for me IE10 is much more beautiful than Chrome, Chrome is really fast and amazing but its ugly as fuc*...i have to say those tabs are awfull, i can see why is dropping marketshare like crazy.

I dont think Microsoft nis afraid, i think they just want to give Google a bad name, yes its stupid but we never said Ballmer was a Smart guy anyway, that guy should never been a CEO from this company, he might succeed with Windows 8 on Tablets and Pcs in the years to come bue he still sucks as CEO, i mean this company does not need to attack Google, they need to keep improving their products, they have been doing really well but are allways a little late, Microsoft like to wait and its usually works but lets be honest here, Ballmer sucks imo.
    04-14-2013 07:10 AM
    They have already come up with many things better than Google.

Windows, IE10, Outlook, Office, Xbox... Even Search bing seems far better in countries is isnt BETA.

Although some things depend on personal taste for me IE10 is much more beautiful than Chrome, Chrome is really fast and amazing but its ugly as fuc*...i have to say those tabs are awfull, i can see why is dropping marketshare like crazy.

I dont think Microsoft nis afraid, i think they just want to give Google a bad name, yes its stupid but we never said Ballmer was a Smart guy anyway, that guy should never been a CEO from this company, he might succeed with Windows 8 on Tablets and Pcs in the years to come bue he still sucks as CEO, i mean this company does not need to attack Google, they need to keep improving their products, they have been doing really well but are allways a little late, Microsoft like to wait and its usually works but lets be honest here, Ballmer sucks imo.
    Did you ever see that video of Ballmer skipping and screaming like a crazed lunatic on stage? It's disturbing

04-14-2013 08:18 AM
176 ... 45678