Scared of Google?

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I love Microsoft and all it's services (as a matter of fact: they're helping me make a game for Windows 8! Awesome guys.), and I think competition is good for the industry, but sometimes, I get this eerie feeling that Microsoft's big nemesis, Google, is just too powerful. It really feels like David vs. Goliath. Everyone uses Google Search. Everyone uses Google Maps. Everyone uses Google Drive. Everyone has an Android. Everyone wants Google Glasses. Everyone wants a Google-driven car. Everyone wants to take the Google elevator to space.
I think stiff competition forces players to innovate to compete, but every time Microsoft tries something (for example, Bing's birdview), Google just does something similair with seemingly no effort at all. How the **** do we ever get a healthy innovation-war if Google is always a step ahead? I really fear for a big Google-monopoly in about 5 to 10 years, with Microsoft and Apple lagging behind (or even bankrupting?). Does anyone have soothing words of comfort?

KongsPhone

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how old you are but that was MS in the 90s, back in the "dark days" of Apple and MS was the 800lb., extremely abusive and lying gorilla.

MS isn't going anywhere. They've had to pick themselves up by the bootstraps after lagging for years with the mobile, portable and consumer desktop markets.

Yes, Google has become a bunch of sellouts. Android is the cheap, consumer driven buggy garbage that Windows was in the 90s (Remember WindowsME? Win98? even Vista?).

Now Apple has become a bully just like MS of years ago.

The sad problem is the model of business, the "paradigm," something that goes back to the Queen of England and her Limited Liability, for-profit, business ventures with shipping and trade; Corporations exist for profit. They are given the privileges and protections of citizens, yet have no terminal lifespan of 113 or so years like an ordinary human being. The boards of corporations have a legal obligation to remove officers who interfere with the profitability of the corporation.

I suggest you read Bucky Fuller's ~1980 work Critical Path and/or the shorter Grunch of Giants for the best possible understanding of the entire world. Bucky even called for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in 1980. He envisioned the green energy grid, WikiPedia and so many of the modern concerns. He was truly ahead of his time and his understanding of the nature of corporations really puts it in perspective for the common person. Critical Path should be required reading for just about everyone in the US, especially our Congress Critters.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not from the US, but I'll still look it up, thanks :) I'm 21 years old, so I kinda grew up with Microsoft. My first computer was a PC, my first game I played on the same machine, my first browser was Internet Explorer, my first mailing client was Hotmail, etcetera. It's kind of weird to see your friends, who had the same history with MS, alienate the company that helped them grow up in the digital world. Suddenly everyone ditches and hates Microsoft, and it's all about Google.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
How its all about Google?

Maybe the Search Engine but all the rest ?

Android is buggy and iOS beats the crap out of it, Hotmail (Now Outlook) stills more popular than Gmail according to real stats not Google because they use people who log into Youtube as Gmail users, thats BS i dont use Gmail neither most of my Friends but we are forced to use Gmail on Youtube. Google Plus is a Ghost Town and Facebook is winning over Google big time.

Google Docs or Google Drive... Oh Well, nobody uses, nobody cares... they are dropping several services and oh well they got maps but who the **** cares about maps anyway ? i surely dont. Their Music Service wich should beat iTunes became another Ghost Town that nobody knows.

So they got good maps but not nearly as good as bing maps or nokia maps according to reviews i saw, they got a good mail service but that steals your information and they got nothing else except their Search Engine and their buggy Mobile OS.

i dont see Google going top, Chromebooks are horrible and their Tablets efforts are lackluster, Ipad is destroying them.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
How its all about Google?

Maybe the Search Engine but all the rest Google is crap.

Android is buggy and iOS beats the crap out of it, Hotmail stills more popular than Gmail according to real stats not Google because they use people who log into Youtubr as Gmail users, thats BS i dont use Gmail neither most of my Friends but we are forced to use Gmail on Youtube.

Google Docs nobody uses, they are dropping several services and oh well they got maps but who the **** cares about maps anyway ? i surely dont.

IOS beats nothing, never. Android is far better than ios. You just have to be moderately intelligent and have a vanilla rom, because carriers essential break android with their bloatware.

Collecting/hacking phones is a hobby of mine, and of every mobile operating system I've ever used, ios is pretty damn low on my list of good-****. I've had Java j2me dumbphones that are better than ios. The only thing worse than ios, is blackberry.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
There's a great article on SeekingAlpha about android and Google, its about how Microsoft are in a much better position than Google are.
I haven't got the link but I'm sure someone will post it.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
True innovation really only occurs when an upstart is trying to upset the norm. Apple was very innovative while their sociopathic cult leader was still around, but once they reached the top position, they kind of stopped. MS already went through this cycle (as was mentioned), and now that they're so far behind in mobile that they've had to make some major changes to climb back up again, and they have the resources to do it if they play their cards right. Nokia is actually kicking butt on the innovation front right now, so I'm really hoping they will spark something in MS so they keep up the momentum.

Apple & MS aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Too big to fail :)

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
IOS beats nothing, never. Android is far better than ios. You just have to be moderately intelligent and have a vanilla rom, because carriers essential break android with their bloatware.

Yeah, because nothing says Android is better than iOS than having to root your phone and install unknown half-cooked ROMs from unknown sources.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, because nothing says Android is better than iOS than having to root your phone and install unknown half-cooked ROMs from unknown sources.

iOS is better if you don't want to think about your OS, and you just want something that works well. Android is better if you're a tinkerer and a heavy customizer and don't mind putting some time, research and effort into getting it just so. Windows Phone is better if you don't like the other two for whatever reason or want a UI that's not a traditional grid launcher or want a terrific Office experience.

That right there is why MS and Apple aren't going anywhere and you don't have to worry about a Google takeover of the whole market. People are always going to want choices so they can pick the best thing to suit their needs.

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
That right there is why MS and Apple aren't going anywhere and you don't have to worry about a Google takeover of the whole market. People are always going to want choices so they can pick the best thing to suit their needs.

Yeah but still... It's not just about operation systems anymore... "to Google" has become a verb. And I really don't know anyone else who uses Bing except for myself. I'd be less worried if I saw some actual aggressive innovation from MS to push Google off their throne, but it feels as if nothing they do even comes close to "hurting" Google... But then again, I people felt the same way in the 90's when everything was about PC's and Microsoft was the big leader :)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Apple & MS aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Too big to fail :)

I believe Apple and MS have a mutual understanding since the days of Jobs and Gates. They each had they're own target demo and was happy with their 20/80 split. Apple has a smaller market, yet huge profit margin and MS is just the opposite, huge market share, but smaller margins. Then Google came along and effed up their business models. So I honestly believe, that in the grand scheme of things, Apple and MS are working together to get rid of Google, or more specifically, Android.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how old you are but that was MS in the 90s, back in the "dark days" of Apple and MS was the 800lb., extremely abusive and lying gorilla.

MS isn't going anywhere. They've had to pick themselves up by the bootstraps after lagging for years with the mobile, portable and consumer desktop markets.

Yes, Google has become a bunch of sellouts. Android is the cheap, consumer driven buggy garbage
1st paragraph true. 2nd paragraph false. Android OS itself in its current version is no buggier than anyone else. The skin overlays that are put on top of non pure android by OEM'S is a different story.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You just have to be moderately intelligent and have a vanilla rom, because carriers essential break android with their bloatware.
Intelligence has nothing to do with this. Just because someone doesn't want to poke around and customise the crap out of their device does not mean they are unintelligent, it means they are a normal human being who isn't interested in devoting a large amount of time to micromanaging something new when what they currently have (feature phone) or can get (iPhone) don't suffer from the same problems.

Carrier and manufacturer customisations are Android's problem, not the user's problem.

Android is better if you're a tinkerer and a heavy customizer and don't mind putting some time, research and effort into getting it just so.
Which, by the way, is by no measure a group numbered in the hundreds of millions as Android activations would tell you. Android is a subpar experience for the average Android user just as a Windows PC was/is.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Which, by the way, is by no measure a group numbered in the hundreds of millions as Android activations would tell you. Android is a subpar experience for the average Android user just as a Windows PC was/is.

The point of my reply was to diplomatically get the topic back on track and prevent it from turning into Epic OS Battle Thread #1X10^50000000.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99