Scared of Google?

Fumetsu

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually, Apple did have its own YouTube app until 2012, when Google finally made a full functioning app for IOS with the release of IOS 6...5 yrs after launch. So, there is a precedent for OEM developed YouTube apps. Google just doesn't want Microsoft to have one. Its pretty blatant and obvious.

As another poster noted, Apple licensed both Maps and YouTube from Google in 2007, both of which were originally jointly developed, with the original iPhone and they saw no significant UI or feature changes until the license expired when Apple chose not to renew it. it was only then that they developed their own native apps that follows their own design specifications.

Microsoft wants to use that API to develop a Metro style YouTube app, which Google isn't willing to do, and they don't want to develop for Windows Phone or Windows 8 (aside from Search on WP and Chrome on Win 8) as they do not have the market share to justify development costs when the mobile site covers the need.

If WP does gain significant market share where Google could actually justify the development costs for native apps, they will do so - they have demonstrated that they are willing to make its services available on as many platforms as possible where it makes sense for them to do so. But don't expect them to go out of there way to do so to help advance adoption of Microsoft's platform when Microsoft is actively working against them. It isn't "evil" for them to choose not to waste money to help Microsoft with little or no benefit when YouTube (and most other Google services) are available via the web or accessible with third party APIs for developers who are willing to work within those constraints.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I doubt google will ever make native apps for wp8 platform no matter how successful the platforms will be. It's a war of services here and youtube is a google service. On a wp handset you are encouraged to use Microsoft services(office, office 365, skydrive, outlook) so google will just be an after thought for most wp users who will find ways to migrate to ms services. On iphone situation is different as apple has a syncing platform(icloud) but has no email platform not maps services(working ones) no video streaming and no cloud office solutions. So there google services can run practically unopposed.

If you were google would you give your competitor the ability to use ms services primarily and some of your services or you would try to destroy their mobile platform and push yours ahead? And do no evil motto is just dust in the eyes to look good in the eyes of people who are not willing or care enough to open their eyes. Google has to protect it's services and making them available on iphone where is no competition and on their own sponsored android platform is how they protect their interests. Want to be able to use google services at their maximum potential go for android. Want an easier access from a large user base with no competing services like iphone ecosystem go there. Want to use in combination with their rival os and services well no luck

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I doubt google will ever make native apps for wp8 platform no matter how successful the platforms will be. It's a war of services here and youtube is a google service. On a wp handset you are encouraged to use Microsoft services(office, office 365, skydrive, outlook) so google will just be an after thought for most wp users who will find ways to migrate to ms services. On iphone situation is different as apple has a syncing platform(icloud) but has no email platform not maps services(working ones) no video streaming and no cloud office solutions. So there google services can run practically unopposed.

If you were google would you give your competitor the ability to use ms services primarily and some of your services or you would try to destroy their mobile platform and push yours ahead? And do no evil motto is just dust in the eyes to look good in the eyes of people who are not willing or care enough to open their eyes. Google has to protect it's services and making them available on iphone where is no competition and on their own sponsored android platform is how they protect their interests. Want to be able to use google services at their maximum potential go for android. Want an easier access from a large user base with no competing services like iphone ecosystem go there. Want to use in combination with their rival os and services well no luck
There are a few services that Google offers that Microsoft doesn't, like You Tube and Google+, so it's not all about competition. Trust me, Google wants as many people as possible to use YouTube and Google+. They don't care what platform it's on.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
There are a few services that Google offers that Microsoft doesn't, like You Tube and Google+, so it's not all about competition. Trust me, Google wants as many people as possible to use YouTube and Google+. They don't care what platform it's on.
im sorry but i have to disagree with you on this specific point, largely due to the fact that if it were about getting as many people on their services as possible then marketshare wouldn't matter. Why? Because regardless of marketshare these people would be active users on their mobile app, even if there were only 10 million people on windows phone, that would still be 10 million people using that service. So personally i think thats a lame and tired ass excuse in regards to youtube on windows phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So personally i think that's a lame and tired ass excuse in regards to youtube on windows phone.

It's far worse than that. Google would only have had to let MS publish their own YouTube app, which they had allegedly completed and was ready to ship. Google didn't have to lift a finger, or pay a dime, yet they refused to grant MS the legal rights to access their YouTube APIs.

IMHO it is impossible to reconcile ammarmalik2011's claims with Google's actions.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
im sorry but i have to disagree with you on this specific point, largely due to the fact that if it were about getting as many people on their services as possible then marketshare wouldn't matter. Why? Because regardless of marketshare these people would be active users on their mobile app, even if there were only 10 million people on windows phone, that would still be 10 million people using that service. So personally i think thats a lame and tired ass excuse in regards to youtube on windows phone.

I agree with ammarmalik2011 on this one. Of course marketshare matters! There may be some politics involved, but I would think that Google calculated the amount of users they would gain vs. development & maintenance costs. Evidently they decided it's not worth it. Google is all about getting people to use their services to get data. They don't care so much what platform it's on. I am sure if WP marketshare grew to rival Apple's that there would be 1st party Google apps for WP.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree with ammarmalik2011 on this one. Of course marketshare matters! There may be some politics involved, but I would think that Google calculated the amount of users they would gain vs. development & maintenance costs. Evidently they decided it's not worth it. Google is all about getting people to use their services to get data. They don't care so much what platform it's on. I am sure if WP marketshare grew to rival Apple's that there would be 1st party Google apps for WP.
that doesn't make sense since Ms made the app....... I'm not buying this bs.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you remember when the iPhone was launched? Apple and Google were best buds at that time. Eric Schimdt was in Apple's board of directors. The license was given to Apple then, including one for Google Maps. The thermonuclear war started years after that.

But you yourself said that Apple didn't want to renew it, so by that logic, it wasn't Google that said no, but Apple. In other words, Google would have been happy to strike a new deal with Apple, despite the "thermonuclear war" stuff. Apple sued Samsung and HTC, two of the biggest Android OEMs (which was a proxy war against Google and Android), yet Google appeared to be willing to renew its deal with Apple.

Microsoft runs a campaign and finances studies and... Google doesn't want to strike a deal with Microsoft?

Yeah, it's pretty clear Google are doing it on purpose to stifle WP, and not because of some campaign. And this is the main reason why I stopped using their services. Thanks but no thanks.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
google just doesn't let microsoft use their API because they can and as tgp said, its not enough marketshare to make a difference. Which is why I was rolling over laughing when google gave apple some 1 billion dollars to make google search the default engine for iphone, because iOS is still a huge market segment and since siri came out, it would be a huge blow to google to have all those users use other search engines.

Google is a force to be a little scared about at the moment in some ways. They dominate search, have a majority in mobile OSes to along with a vast amount of web apps in their ecosystem. There is one huge, gigantic glaring flaw with google and its that they only make money off advertising and pretty much nothing else. Android has been around for about what, 5 -6 years now and they still haven't made money on it? It only really helped samsung. Most of their other projects are the same way. Both apple and microsoft are diversified enough that if one of their major products failed, they would be hurting, but not going bankrupt. Why is that the reason then that everything Google does, they do to enrich their targeted advertising and search, their only main source of income?

Google is reacting to Microsoft at the moment because they are their main threat, like wise as Google is Microsoft's main threat. Microsoft also has targeted advertising and more importantly bing which is a direct competition to Google and its growing, albeit slowly.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's pretty clear Google are doing it on purpose to stifle WP, and not because of some campaign. And this is the main reason why I stopped using their services. Thanks but no thanks.

The loss is yours. Don't kid yourself; Google knows how many users they could gain, and it's not enough to be worth the investment. Users who have made the same decision you have are few enough that Google doesn't care. I'm not saying I feel it's right or wrong, but that's the way it is. Google doesn't owe WP users anything. If they thought there was a buck to be made they would do it. They are in business to turn a profit like every other business on the face of the planet.

Picture a town with a population of 50 in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. Do they have the right to demand Walmart to build them a store?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't kid yourself; Google knows how many users they could gain, and it's not enough to be worth the investment.

You need to read up. You aren't fully informed.

Again, for the second time... Microsoft made a YouTube app on their own dime. Google could have endorsed that as their official YouTube app on WP, completely free of charge! In other words, at an investment cost of ZERO! However, Google declined to provide MS the rights to access their YouTube API. Google provides these rights to almost anyone else who asks, irrespective of their potential to grow market share, but not to MS. How does that factor into your theory?

The only guy kidding himself is you.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You need to read up. You aren't fully informed.

Again, for the second time... Microsoft made a YouTube app on their own dime. Google could have endorsed that as their official YouTube app on WP, completely free of charge! In other words, at an investment cost of ZERO! However, Google declined to provide MS the rights to access their YouTube API. Google provides these rights to almost anyone else who asks, irrespective of their potential to grow market share, but not to MS. How does that factor into your theory?

The only guy kidding himself is you.

You're probably right; you likely know more about this than I do. But don't you think that if Google thought it would advantageous for them to either produce a YouTube app for WP or provide MS with the API's that they would do it? Why doesn't Facebook make an app for WP?

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You're probably right; you likely know more about this than I do. But don't you think that if Google thought it would advantageous for them to either produce a YouTube app for WP or provide MS with the API's that they would do it? Why doesn't Facebook make an app for WP?

No. And that reason? Eric Schmidt.

Schmidt has had an irrational hatred for MS for most of his career. He brought it with him from Sun and Novell. And Page and Brin had the dumb idea to hire this nutcase and put him in charge.

Look at Google's history, the evil (privacy invasion at all costs, undermining and eroding markets, trying to control the internet, cozying up to government) started with Schmidt. I fear it has become so ingrained in Google's culture now that the evil will outlast him.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But don't you think that if Google thought it would advantageous for them to either produce a YouTube app for WP or provide MS with the API's that they would do it?

Yes, I do, so obviously such moves aren't considered advantageous. I don't know how Google arrived at that conclusion. However, Google's own actions make it absolutely clear that their motives are in no way as innocent as previously suggested.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I do, so obviously such moves aren't considered advantageous. I don't know how Google arrived at that conclusion. However, Google's own actions make it absolutely clear that their motives are in no way as innocent as previously suggested.
^this im sorry i dont buy that googles the good guy in all this. is painfully obvious that they are not obligated to develope a youtube app (even less so since MS MADE ONE!!) but dont defend them in saying that this has anything to do with marketshare.windows controls the bulk of pc marketshare but i dont see google blocking access to their site for linux users. i could understand with gmail g+ etc... but youtube is a video streaming service so to me regardless of marketshare, everyone on every platform should recieve a google developed youtube app. why would they snuff windows phones millions of users? millions are millions and idgaf what anyone has to say about that. Considering that google has royally destroyed youtube anyway, i think my point drives itself home.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
^this im sorry i dont buy that googles the good guy in all this. is painfully obvious that they are not obligated to develope a youtube app (even less so since MS MADE ONE!!) but dont defend them in saying that this has anything to do with marketshare.windows controls the bulk of pc marketshare but i dont see google blocking access to their site for linux users. i could understand with gmail g+ etc... but youtube is a video streaming service so to me regardless of marketshare, everyone on every platform should recieve a google developed youtube app. why would they snuff windows phones millions of users? millions are millions and idgaf what anyone has to say about that. Considering that google has royally destroyed youtube anyway, i think my point drives itself home.

Can't force a corporation to make software for your platform because it is a video streaming service especially if it's free of charge. So it's not like everyone should receive time and money from google on every platform. But it seams to many lack of youtube app is a problem. And this means google has achieved it's objective. It just blocks windows phone 8 adoption because people want youtube official app and they can't get it.

What surprises me that even with so many controversial moves by google people still love them and use their services. People don't refuse to use gmail even they know that google is reading their emails to serve them adds and to mine their data. They don't care. People are loving calendar sync even if it will become harder for other services that use google to use this(google mines those data too). People want google+ even though it's not that good and the api available for it does not allow posting so you can't come with apps that are useful for that platform but hey who cares it's not like you need API we are not all developers. Google shopping is pay for rank only but hey who cares about finding relevant data on shopping online I mean if that guy can afford money for google they provide great services right? Google does not serve you add based on your search query only no it serves you add based on your google experience history. Hey but who cares about that? It's not like a coworker or a friend can see what kind of ads are served to you and determine what you are searching on google so what if your girlfriend realize you have some issues by the ads you are served she should know the truth right? Who cares negative seo is destroying search results or that you have to pollute the web with useless articles in blogs to make white seo? I mean come on does anyone care? Who cares that by simply putting the review stars for a web page(google standard) you get on top of better search results? They do look cool right? And they will show 4, 5 stars anyway(they are moderated after all by the site owner).

We the consumers of the service we don't care. We all are sheep's and will use google anyway. It's not like there are other choices.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Can't force a corporation to make software for your platform because it is a video streaming service especially if it's free of charge. So it's not like everyone should receive time and money from google on every platform. But it seams to many lack of youtube app is a problem. And this means google has achieved it's objective. It just blocks windows phone 8 adoption because people want youtube official app and they can't get it.

What surprises me that even with so many controversial moves by google people still love them and use their services. People don't refuse to use gmail even they know that google is reading their emails to serve them adds and to mine their data. They don't care. People are loving calendar sync even if it will become harder for other services that use google to use this(google mines those data too). People want google+ even though it's not that good and the api available for it does not allow posting so you can't come with apps that are useful for that platform but hey who cares it's not like you need API we are not all developers. Google shopping is pay for rank only but hey who cares about finding relevant data on shopping online I mean if that guy can afford money for google they provide great services right? Google does not serve you add based on your search query only no it serves you add based on your google experience history. Hey but who cares about that? It's not like a coworker or a friend can see what kind of ads are served to you and determine what you are searching on google so what if your girlfriend realize you have some issues by the ads you are served she should know the truth right? Who cares negative seo is destroying search results or that you have to pollute the web with useless articles in blogs to make white seo? I mean come on does anyone care? Who cares that by simply putting the review stars for a web page(google standard) you get on top of better search results? They do look cool right? And they will show 4, 5 stars anyway(they are moderated after all by the site owner).

We the consumers of the service we don't care. We all are sheep's and will use google anyway. It's not like there are other choices.
i never said they are obligated to create an application, since again microsoft worked with the youtube team to develope one, i agree with you on all other points, except that i cannot bring myself to trust google. personally speaking and not speaking for anyone else. See heres the problem im having, i use youtube because currently the pure mainstream power of youtube forces me to use it to watch videos, what do i mean? already established channels that i enjoy watching and following are not suddenly gonna move to a different website simply because i do not trust google, therefore if google knows the pure power that youtube has and instagram knows they influence they have it seems a bit selfish to withhold such services to loyal customers hungry for their app. IF microsoft paid for developement of those applications would it make their interest in developing said app increase? this is the issue im having with google. Google just happened to make a smart purchase with youtube, and again i agree they dont have to do anything for microsoft, but say they do it for their fans who just happen to use ms products? Corporations like Google and Ms in the past ruin consumer experience by using petty statistics rather than actually keeping the customer happy. Then we all end up suffering the consequences of it. if windows phone was on equal footing with ios and android would android or ios be the obvious choice? prolly not so handicapping for the sake of winning costs the consumer choice.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Cute.

YouTube already worked with Microsoft. Google shut it down because Google hates Microsoft.

End of story. Period. Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

The only proof we have of this mythical MS-developed YT app comes from MS itself. There is no evidence apart from one statement by an MS executive and as such, it looks like vaporware and another tantrum by the same people responsible for the ridiculous Scroogled campaign.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs