Scared of Google?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The only proof we have of this mythical MS-developed YT app comes from MS itself. There is no evidence apart from one statement by an MS executive and as such, it looks like vaporware and another tantrum by the same people responsible for the ridiculous Scroogled campaign.

I would recommend taking those blinders off. If there was nothing to this story, then Google would have at least denied it. After all, Microsoft communicated this in an official press release! Your claim, that this statement was made by a single MS exec, is false.

Going completely silent validates both the story and Google's understanding that it isn't good PR.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend taking those blinders off. If there was nothing to this story, then Google would have at least denied it. After all, Microsoft communicated this in an official press release! The statement wasn't made by random MS exec like you mentioned.

Going completely silent validates both the story and Google's understanding that it isn't good PR.

Historically, Google doesn't say much to the press. There was no reaction to the Scroogled campaign, for example. Nor to many of the other accusations MS and others have made over the years. Even when there was empirical evidence that those accusations are false. Their allegation that they worked with YT to produce an app and then Google smacked it down is completely ridiculous. I have more than one friend working at YT and there is no distinction any more; YT is an integral part of Google and this project, if it ever existed, would have had to get at least VP-level review (more likely would have required the personal approval of Salar Kamangar) before getting the green light to start talking with MS. This is what makes the whole thing sound false to me.

I'm just saying, MS, after they hired that Republican spin doctor guy, have started spreading FUD instead of actually building good products that people want to use. And as for YT specifically, Google has shown that they want to be able to control their users' experience on their services, and it's been good. The new Maps, Gmail and YT apps on iOS are universally acknowledged to be some of the best on the platform, both in terms of design and usability. It doesn't make sense to invest the same cost on WP when the user base is still like 2-2.5% of users. Also, the primary reason Google wants to do this (own the apps on all platforms) is that they can ensure that their advertising content is delivered and such delivery is tracked. This is how YT makes money to pay content creators and this is not something you should have a problem with. Remember the Apple-created YT & Google Maps apps didn't have ads.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Historically, Google doesn't say much to the press. There was no reaction to the Scroogled campaign, for example

Google reacts to unfair accusations just like anyone else. Maybe not quickly, and maybe not through official press releases, but they do get their opinion out in one form or another.

For example, here is their response to the Scroogled campaign, from their public policy blog.

Also, the probability of MS publishing an official press release, in which they lie about having created a YT app with support from YT employees, is ZERO. It's just far to easy to get sued over such easily verifiable statements.

IMHO you are dismissing an entirely uncontroversial press release in order to support your view on Google. I don't think that makes a winning argument.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The loss is yours. Don't kid yourself; Google knows how many users they could gain, and it's not enough to be worth the investment. Users who have made the same decision you have are few enough that Google doesn't care. I'm not saying I feel it's right or wrong, but that's the way it is. Google doesn't owe WP users anything. If they thought there was a buck to be made they would do it. They are in business to turn a profit like every other business on the face of the planet.

Picture a town with a population of 50 in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. Do they have the right to demand Walmart to build them a store?

Perfectly stated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think that unlike other mobile OSes Microsoft has Bing. Google know that somewhere down the line WP8 could get to 20%+ market share. That instantly gets people using Bing.
Microsoft has the Nextbox soon it could end up being a cable hub in the living room with again Bing.
Its getting people into the habit of using Bing that Google worries about.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not really.
It is closer to Google ignoring the entire state of Arizona because Eric Schmidt visited once and didn't have a good time.

Return vs investment. There's plenty of company app developers like banks) who won't make apps for bb10 or wp8 because they don't feel the cost is worth the effort. Google is just doing the same thing many other companies and indie devs have been doing all along. Frankly I find the underlying sentiment is some of these posts that Google is somehow going to suffer a threat from MS laughable. Anyone who thinks they're just standing still not continuing to look for ways to continue being profitable is delusional. Are they under the impression that they're more qualified than Google's directors to run a billion dollar empire? Or that maybe the CEO is going to read this thread and say oh boy, I didn't realize how close to doom we are? Standing perfectly still when you know you're about to get punched in the face isn't what normal people do.

If anyone is doing it wrong right now look closer to home. MS and Google BOTH don't let you choose anything other than their own search providers for the OS although you can on the browsers. MS and Google are BOTH at fault on calendar support. Google for the exchange active sync support removal and Microsoft for not implementing CalDAV and CardDAV support. I'm not sure if you're an old fart like me but I vividly remember how badly MS behaved in the 90's when they had a much more gargantuan monopoly over the tech industry. If you remember those days you should be very skeptical of the company's attitude being any different today. This whole "Google is evil I trust MS to do the right thing" attitude I've seen around wpcentral is a product of the younger members who weren't old enough to remember the bill gates era. On that note, Steve jobs wasn't the altruistic saintly underdog iOS fans try to paint him out to be either.

Last edited:

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading this thread and even posted. But this is ridiculous. Google is totally at fault in this YouTube fiasco, and any other brick in the wall that's been going up. Its not market share. Seriously? You really believe that? If anything, market sharr is a minute aspect to the reasoning behind Google's black listing of Microsoft. And for the record, I'm 37, and remember the 90s well. This is totally not the same thing. This is worse. Anyone who trusts Google in any sense if the word is insane. Whether its with their personal info or with blatantly trying to build an isolated world of their own. (pretty much what Apple has been trying to do).

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The only proof we have of this mythical MS-developed YT app comes from MS itself. There is no evidence apart from one statement by an MS executive and as such, it looks like vaporware and another tantrum by the same people responsible for the ridiculous Scroogled campaign.
Where's your proof?

That's right, we've got Microsoft officially stating that Google shut down the YouTube app - twice - and Google hasn't said a thing. Cat caught its tongue?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Call me when Google gets so bad the USA DoJ actually steps in and forces the company to restructure its infrastructure due to antitrust like MS :rolleyes:

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Google obviously ain't standing still, they are trying to get into a ton of things.
The trouble is their only substantial money cow is search.
If there was a sea change in people using search and Google's share of search dropped by 20% or more what then. At the moment it is estimated that Microsoft makes more per phone sold using Android than Google actually does. Microsoft makes more money on android than they do on WPs up till now.
Its like a game of chess and not bringing a Youtube app etc to WPs is one of Google's moves.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Google obviously ain't standing still, they are trying to get into a ton of things.
The trouble is their only substantial money cow is search.
If there was a sea change in people using search and Google's share of search dropped by 20% or more what then. At the moment it is estimated that Microsoft makes more per phone sold using Android than Google actually does. Microsoft makes more money on android than they do on WPs up till now.
Its like a game of chess and not bringing a Youtube app etc to WPs is one of Google's moves.
'THATS WHAT I WAS TELLING YOU B'FO" (cleveland show reference) but yes thats how i see it as well, Google realizes that microsoft has much more to stand on in regards to income than just search, microsoft has windows, server, azure, office, xbox, surface which by the way has made them alot of money regardless of the small amount they sold, they also have bing, they are deeply embedded in the corporate world, and while google has a good thing going with android even though oems rue the day they crossed IP lines with ms and ms makes more money on each phone sold. Search really is the only thing that sustains them, and if microsoft continues to improve Bing, and takes it out of beta for various countries, google should be defensive.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Any company that gets "too big and powerful" will eventually try to force things their way.
Microsoft did this back in the 90s...
Apple's been doing this since 2009 (remember their arrogance with no-flash when flash ruled mobile markets, antennagate and the samsung lawsuits?)
And no doubt Google will also do it if not already (their "No, we will not develop for WP" being an example of this)

Just like any country that gets too big and powerful will try to force things their way *cough*USA*cough*...

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading this thread and even posted. But this is ridiculous. Google is totally at fault in this YouTube fiasco, and any other brick in the wall that's been going up. Its not market share. Seriously? You really believe that? If anything, market sharr is a minute aspect to the reasoning behind Google's black listing of Microsoft. And for the record, I'm 37, and remember the 90s well. This is totally not the same thing. This is worse. Anyone who trusts Google in any sense if the word is insane. Whether its with their personal info or with blatantly trying to build an isolated world of their own. (pretty much what Apple has been trying to do).

How is market share not significant? I see Google developing for iOS because why? Market share. And if there are ever enough WP users that income from ads on Google apps for WP exceeds cost to develop those apps, then Google will develop for WP (note that a good programmer easily net 140-160K a year minimum, cost to company is much higher).

And you clearly don't remember MS secretly paying people to sue Linux developers, MS intentionally breaking Windows to not work with non-IE browsers and media players.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
'THATS WHAT I WAS TELLING YOU B'FO" (cleveland show reference) but yes thats how i see it as well, Google realizes that microsoft has much more to stand on in regards to income than just search, microsoft has windows, server, azure, office, xbox, surface which by the way has made them alot of money regardless of the small amount they sold, they also have bing, they are deeply embedded in the corporate world, and while google has a good thing going with android even though oems rue the day they crossed IP lines with ms and ms makes more money on each phone sold. Search really is the only thing that sustains them, and if microsoft continues to improve Bing, and takes it out of beta for various countries, google should be defensive.

And they still have a stock price and market cap far higher than MS. Truth be told, it was a sad day when Ballmer took over MS. Gates was a visionary, MS did scummy things under him but those were different days and times. He got things done - nowadays all MS does seem to be tantrum ad campaigns. I do respect the non-tiled parts of Win8 and the nice things they do with Office, though.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
How is market share not significant? I see Google developing for iOS because why? Market share. And if there are ever enough WP users that income from ads on Google apps for WP exceeds cost to develop those apps, then Google will develop for WP (note that a good programmer easily net 140-160K a year minimum, cost to company is much higher).

And you clearly don't remember MS secretly paying people to sue Linux developers, MS intentionally breaking Windows to not work with non-IE browsers and media players.

Easy answers for a simple question. They make for Apple because of market share, yes, but also because they want to be Apple. With Microsoft its obviously different. They fear them gaining traction so they deploy shady tactics instead of good ol' fashion American business competition. (yes I said American...they are both American companies after all.)

And yes I remember, and I also remember them getting called out on it, and not long after there was a shift in upper management and business tactics within the company. And why would I care about things that happened 20 years ago with a company that has changed for the better, personnel and image wise. Face it. You Google lovers just gcan't accept the fact that the company practices shady business methods with the public and its competitors. You defend them to the last breath, when I don't think you understand the corruption you defend. I'd hope that if you were able to step back and see what's going on within that company, you'd boycott them as much as possible. If not, then the scary part would be to realize that you're the type to accept said corruption and enable it, making you just as corrupted. Being na?ve is chalked up to being a blind sheep, being as corrupt is just plain evil, man.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Call me when Google gets so bad the USA DoJ actually steps in and forces the company to restructure its infrastructure due to antitrust like MS :rolleyes:

Eric Schmidt will just take another threatening trip to North Korea and the US government will back down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb