Scared of Google?

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple and Microsoft are closer than people think. That doesn't mean to say I like Apple, well I like some of their products, I just don't like them as company and had a passionate hatred for Steve Jobs, but Apple and Microsoft share the same unease, or wariness for google. Microsoft and Apple have shares in each other so I could imagine that if push came to shove Apple and MS would side with each other (which they have done already). Succeeding in a business is great but google are growing too big too fast and are abusing their market share and power. They will collapse, they wont rule the world like people think they will because at the end of the day google are not forcing anyone to buy their products or use their services. Microsoft are now on the up and are becoming very competitive while maintaining their trusty old values and ways of doing things. Im only just turning 17 and I have been using MS products and services growing up and still are and its like an old friend using a windows computer or sending an email via outlook (despite the fact both are now very different from what they used to be). Much love for MS, thy wont let google take over completely without a fight.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Im only just turning 17 and I have been using MS products and services growing up and still are and its like an old friend using a windows computer or sending an email via outlook (despite the fact both are now very different from what they used to be). Much love for MS, thy wont let google take over completely without a fight.

That's so sweet...and naive. I'm 53 and remember when Microsoft was the evil Satan with its fingers in everyone's pockets and governments around the world seeking to limit its seemingly boundless powers. I remember when Google was the white knight that saved us from the tyranny of having to pay for an email account and was considered really 'cool' because it gave us all this great tech for free.

Microsoft, Google, Apple - they are all for-profit companies beholden to their shareholders. They are not beloved members of our family nor generous benefactors with our best interests at heart. Nor are they inherently evil. They all exist in a capitalist economy and their main aim is to separate us from as much of our money as possible. If that requires them to be nice, they will be nice. If it requires them to screw us, they will screw us. Essentially they are as good and as bad as each other, but they are in different market positions and phases of growth and expansion. Therefore they are each using different tactics at the moment to get the upper hand. But as the market and there positions change, so will their tactics. So best not to get too attached.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
That's so sweet...and naive. I'm 53 and remember when Microsoft was the evil Satan with its fingers in everyone's pockets and governments around the world seeking to limit its seemingly boundless powers. I remember when Google was the white knight that saved us from the tyranny of having to pay for an email account and was considered really 'cool' because it gave us all this great tech for free.

I agree with your stance on the old days :). But google was not the first one to give email for free. Hotmail and yahoo were free long before google made gmail

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your stance on the old days :). But google was not the first one to give email for free. Hotmail and yahoo were free long before google made gmail

GMail was the first one to actually give people legitimate storage space. I remember when Yahoo had ridiculously small storage space for free accounts (don't remember the amount) but Gmail owned Yahoo and Hotmail in that department. It was the sole reason people moved to Gmail, including myself.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
GMail was the first one to actually give people legitimate storage space. I remember when Yahoo had ridiculously small storage space for free accounts (don't remember the amount) but Gmail owned Yahoo and Hotmail in that department. It was the sole reason people moved to Gmail, including myself.

It's true about the 2GB gmail space for 1 account. But to call it legitimate storage space it's a bit stretched :). But it marked a point in time. Mail become a method to store data accessible anywhere from the web. It paved the way to cloud storage. It's only downside it teaches people to become more lazy :) and block their corporate email accounts because they never clear them. Beside that all is good.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft, Google, Apple - they are all for-profit companies beholden to their shareholders. They are not beloved members of our family nor generous benefactors with our best interests at heart. Nor are they inherently evil. They all exist in a capitalist economy and their main aim is to separate us from as much of our money as possible. If that requires them to be nice, they will be nice. If it requires them to screw us, they will screw us. Essentially they are as good and as bad as each other, but they are in different market positions and phases of growth and expansion. Therefore they are each using different tactics at the moment to get the upper hand. But as the market and there positions change, so will their tactics. So best not to get too attached.

Oh how things change. Now that is in reverse. I mean you never hear Microsoft in trouble with privacy or advertising scams do you, its always google. Just goes to show how having too much power corrupts people and businesses. Sure, Microsoft, Apple and Google are businesses that want money from you, its the way in which the 3 go about it is very different. Google would rather take your search history and then shove adverts at the side of your youtube video or go through you gmail to see what you have been sending people, all in the same of advertising. Similar story with android phones.

H M Rejaul Huq

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Nice post . I mean you never hear Microsoft in trouble with privacy or advertising scams do you, its always google. Just goes to show how having too much power corrupts people and businesses.
acdsee.com

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Today, I read the rumor of Google wanting to buy WhatsApp... And the PC market is still shrinking, Windows 8 is still considered a "fail", while Chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular. It's stuff like this that makes me fear we'll live in a Google-oriented world in 2020...

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Today, I read the rumor of Google wanting to buy WhatsApp... And the PC market is still shrinking, Windows 8 is still considered a "fail", while Chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular. It's stuff like this that makes me fear we'll live in a Google-oriented world in 2020...

In what reality are chromebooks actually getting used? They dont even register in Internet statistics yet, odd for an os that has to live online don't you think?

martan1981#WN

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my thought. I would rather buy notebook with android than with chrome. Chromebooks are overpriced and definitely not popular.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
today, i read the rumor of google wanting to buy whatsapp... And the pc market is still shrinking, windows 8 is still considered a "fail", while chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular. It's stuff like this that makes me fear we'll live in a google-oriented world in 2020...

rotflmao!!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft, Google, Apple - they are all for-profit companies beholden to their shareholders.
Hit the nail on the head. It's funny when seemingly rational people believe that companies (mostly Google these days) acts out of the kindness of their hearts.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it is the search engines job to filter out websites, based on their technical content. IMHO the only sites which search engines should censor are those directly enabling illegal activity (drug trafficking, terrorism recruitment, etc).

Ensuring technical safety is the browsers and OS' job, not the search engines. It would have been far more relevant to test how many of those sites are able to score a successful attack and through which browsers. IE is one of the safest browsers out there. If IE does its job, then these test results are irrelevant.

I would actually prefer it if neither censored anything.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is the search engines job to filter out websites, based on their technical content. IMHO the only sites which search engines should censor are those directly enabling illegal activity (drug trafficking, terrorism recruitment, etc).

Ensuring technical safety is the browsers and OS' job, not the search engines. It would have been far more relevant to test how many of those sites are able to score a successful attack and through which browsers. IE is one of the safest browsers out there. If IE does its job, then these test results are irrelevant.

I would actually prefer it if neither censored anything.

From the original report:
Up-to-Date Systems Are More Secure
The infected websites mostly use malware that exploits existing security vulnerabilities in users’ software. These vulnerabilities normally involve outdated browsers, old add-ons or extensions and out-of-date versions of PDF readers.

Users can drastically reduce the likelihood of infection by keeping the software on their systems up to date. They can also guarantee that they have the best possible protection by additionally using high-quality security software that is constantly updated.

It does not even say which browsers were used in the test.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo