04-28-2013 02:29 PM
84 1234
tools
    Article on Engadget states that the demand for W8 &WP is lackluster.

Samsung's JK Shin: there's 'lackluster demand' for Windows-based phones, tablets

Well Mr Shin can go f*** himself. If Samsung showed the same support for Windows as they do for Android then they would see a better ROI. As great as the S3 sales are and the S4s potentially will be, they can take there plastic **** and f*** off. Ill have my L920 all day over that ****. Also, with the S4 they seem to think they are rhe new apple, nothing innovative but expect people to still buy and i doubt they wont but like Apple, Sammy will realise people get tired of the same old ****. Anyway just my 2cents. I am sure ill have droid fans after my head but this is just my OPINION.
    point taken, but pick up a dictionary man. use real words to express what you mean
    Jastow likes this.
    03-15-2013 03:07 PM
    point taken, but pick up a dictionary man. use real words to express what you mean
    can you point out where i need to use these real words. I will happily amend my post to suit your highly intellectual and grammatical needs.
    03-15-2013 04:23 PM
    can you point out where i need to use these real words. I will happily amend my post to suit your highly intellectual and grammatical needs.
    In place of f*** and ****, most likely.
    03-15-2013 04:31 PM
    So, Samsung releases a phone for WP8, a couple PC's for Windows 8, and doesn't do well? Is the Ativ S out in the US? What about there Ativ PC?

I know I can look that up. But that's my point. I honestly don't know, and I live in the US.
    03-15-2013 07:14 PM
    I think that Samsung is very interested in WP8. The Ativ S they made is a great device that works based on their S3 flagship. Not on the S2 or some other lower spec product. Problem is Nokia and their plethora of 3rd world cheap devices and their utterly unreliable Lumia 920. Nokia got it wrong, they should make cheap droids and higher end WP8 devices. So many cheap WP8 devices reduce the WP8 market to being cheap and unprofitable. Nokia also needs to get its act together on QC. You can make 10x more profit on one higher end device than on a 'el cheapo'. Samsung wants to make WP8, high end to take on Apple. Look at the Ativ S, it is their nicest device design wise. Even the new S4 is less pretty.
    03-15-2013 08:22 PM
    Nokia 920 perfectly reliable for me.
    03-15-2013 08:34 PM
    Couldn't disagree more with Coolknight. Nokia is doing everything right. One of their main advantages with their budget phones is WP8. And if they made Androids MS wouldn't be giving them $1B a year. So in what world would it make sense to make low end Androids?

And his quality assessment of the 920 could not be further from the truth. Had 2 here since launch day with no problems whatsoever other than the WP8 reboot bug which has long been fixed.

As for 10x the profit on higher end devices, the problem is there are a lot less people in the world looking to buy them. 10x the profit to 1/50th the market (don't know the actual figure) doesn't make sense.
    Pepe D Vegas likes this.
    03-15-2013 08:56 PM
    Please pass the pipe cool knight, got some good stuff going there, I want a smoke, please see PC mag article on Nokia and wp8 satisfaction, admittedly small sample but still highly respected magazine
    03-15-2013 10:30 PM
    Doesn't help when Microsoft is moving as slow as a snail in a traffic jam in updating both operating systems. Too many fixes needed for both W8/RT & WP8 yet Microsoft seems content to wait to fix problems. Windows 8 especially needs it and when you consider that ios and android are eating their lunch left right and center you wonder why they are leaving it so long and don't even update their core apps more frequently.

Ultimately though I think Microsoft needs to realize their so called "partners" are really that in name only and they are no longer they allies they were previously so they need to start pulling the lead out in both hardware and software for W8 and WP8.
    How many updates have there been for Windows 8 and RT since October? Please compare to the stunning array of Android updates - zero. How many updates were there in total to ICS and JB? Let's then take that one step further and ponder how many Android devices ever see a major update. While we are at it, how fast has Apple dealt with known issues with its current MacOS and how many IOS updates have there been in five years? Please get your facts straight before accusing Microsoft of being slow. They are by far the most responsive company in the game when it comes to updates, whether they be for features, performance or bugs. If people stopped buying into ten year old BS about Microsoft, they would easily recognize their press influenced perceptions have no bearing in reality....
    WinFan1 and Pepe D Vegas like this.
    03-15-2013 10:46 PM
    I bought a Lumia 920, now Nokia is definitely my favorite phone maker. Their phones have personality unlike Samsung's phones.
    03-15-2013 10:47 PM
    Samsung half-assed their way into the Windows Phone 8 market and then complains that WP8 has not been good to them. I know most of us have barely seen an ATIV S on display in any store or even know where they are available. The Nokia and HTC devices have gotten good publicity and are widely available.

I hope Nokia doesn't use Samsung for parts and if they do then they should dump them ASAP and go with another company.
    WinFan1 likes this.
    03-15-2013 11:16 PM
    Well everyday i see news of Asus, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer bringing new Computers/Hybrids/Tablets for Windows 8 Family.

I bought my Pc in 2009 with Windows Vista but its already on Windows 8 (:

Nokia and HTC bringing new Phones to Windows Phone Family etc...

Samsung is just a lazy company that wants to dominate, soon they will drop Android for Tizan OS but i think that will be the fall of them, they think they can own everything but they aint no Google, Apple or Microsoft.

Meanwhile we can only Hope Nokia will keep rising, i Love Samsung business, i love their Tvs, their DVDs i own all kind of Samsung Devices but they are becoming lazy and arrogante, it stupid, people should allways be honest because future might surprise you.
    03-16-2013 05:37 AM
    MS should simply hand over WP8 to nokia. Im 100% sure they'll do a much better and quicker job at getting it to the top of the game and actually snatch away Android and iOS' market share. I can bet on that.

MS is just WAY too slow at fixing ****. And its super weird considering they're THE software giants. They have the resources- the capital, the employees and scientists, the technology, the name- all of it. To make WP8 the king. But they just dont. They need to focus on WP a lot now. Its do or die for them. And if they dont they can say good-bye to even their leadership in the Computer OS market. People will look at getting MacOS and chrome on their notebooks, laptops, computers, tablets sooner or later if MS doesnt make it big in the phone game. Thats just what i think.
    If Chrome and Android become ONE single platform for both their phones and notebooks and they optimize chrome to support major software that people use on their computers like photoshop etc.. MS are doomed.

They need to push and make stuff happen now. I love my 920 coming from a Note. It is simply amazing. The tiles are incredible and everything is great. But they need to increase market share and get a lot of big devs to support the platform. Theyve made something great now they need to polish and market it like crazy.
    truthsforme likes this.
    03-16-2013 05:41 AM
    The Surface, and even Lenovo, dominated them in Windows RT and Windows 8.

Nokia dominated them in WP8.
    'Dominates' makes it sound like they have won a competition worth winning - being the top of the pile in either surface or WP8 is like winning a beauty competition in your home town - nice for your mum but nobody else cares.
    03-16-2013 05:54 AM
    Samsung is the new Apple and will have the same lackluster enthusiasm going forward.
    Apple has been the cool company for at least a decade now, though perhaps that is slightly eroding due to the new "openness" RDF and the reemergence of spec *******. But there's no reason why Samsung is going down the drain anytime soon, it has only gained mind share in the past two years. People really do believe in Galaxy just as they believed in iPod and Mac.
    03-16-2013 06:28 AM
    Even when (and it is a when not an if) Samsung sales drop off, it doesn't mean that Nokia or any of the other also-rans come back - for all we know the biggest player in 2018 could be Micromax or ZTE or well.. someone we've never heard of.
    03-16-2013 06:31 AM
    If product manufacturers keep telling us MS sucks, no body is going to buy the stuff.

These continue to send the wrong message. That should rally behind MS and spread the word the MS has the greatest product in the world and we have to have the Samsung hardware to get the best experience.
    03-16-2013 06:31 AM
    If product manufacturers keep telling us MS sucks, no body is going to buy the stuff.

These continue to send the wrong message. That should rally behind MS and spread the word the MS has the greatest product in the world and we have to have the Samsung hardware to get the best experience.
    When the head guy at Samsung comes out and publically say that this stuff sucks do you really think it's aimed at you or a shot across the bows at microsoft?
    03-16-2013 06:40 AM
    @Aditya

Glad to see you still enjoying the 920 :)

I think Microsoft is committed to the long haul. No other major mobile os pushes out major updates on a three month cycle. No one. They will get to feature parity and exceed it very soon.

When the new Verizon 928 is released with GDR2 people will realize Microsoft is serious. I believe the marketing will be impressive. It seems Blackberry, Apple, and high end Samsung phones all cost more to Verizon than high end Windows phones, at least $100 different.

Ecosystems will be more important going forward than specs. Apps will always be important. We have seen the Xbox game situation make a huge turnaround last few weeks. Momentum is building.

I firmly believe when devices with Blue are released for holidays 2013 the device specifications, software, and performance will dramatically exceed the low expectations set. Microsoft, Nokia, and HTC will have products to compete on the high, mid, and low end.

If Samsung switches to Tizen, there will be a huge gap to roll on through.

Sorry for any incoherency, my pregnant wife woke me up in the middle of the night and I can't sleep. I will correct when I wake up. :)
    Last edited by inside man 55; 03-16-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    03-16-2013 06:45 AM
    Apple has been the cool company for at least a decade now, though perhaps that is slightly eroding due to the new "openness" RDF and the reemergence of spec *******. But there's no reason why Samsung is going down the drain anytime soon, it has only gained mind share in the past two years. People really do believe in Galaxy just as they believed in iPod and Mac.
    Notice I did not say go down the drain, although I may have implied it. Enthusiasm in the sense people got spoiled from galaxy II to galaxy III, the huge jump in functionality. The leap to the galaxy iv is not as large. The reviews on the new phone are mixed. Samsung went down in the stock market due to disappointment in features and expectations.

Same is true with Apple. 3gs to 4 and 4s, huge leap. 4s to 5, they half assed it. Hardware upgrade to size, processor, graphics, and lte? So pass. And Apple's user interface in mobile terms is ancient and uninspired.

Both got arrogant and complacent. Both will pay the price. They will never lose all their sales, they are just no longer cool.

Two years in mobile is 8 cycles where the current flagship is outdated every 3 months. One year with the same device that is meh means people look at other things.

I am going to go on record as saying I expect Samsung sales for the g iv to be below estimates and for them to cut production soon in the next 6 months, same as Apple. They half assed it and will have the same results.
    Last edited by inside man 55; 03-16-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    03-16-2013 07:06 AM
    Long ago and far away, I started with a Motorola Q9c and when the time came to replace it, I looked at many Droids. but decided to wait. I finally got an HTC Trophy and haven't looked back except for:

1) The crippled Bluetooth stack; earlier WIN mobile OS (6.x) supported many more BT devices such as BT keyboard. Let's face it, the MS-Office mobile suite suffers severe productivity issues when trying to do any real volume input with the virtual keyboard especially with Excel. Face candy is nice. but functionality is critical.
    2) Low, slow, and awkward OS upgrades; this business where the carrier dictates to MS when (or if) they'll push an update is ridiculous. If the carrier isn't willing to support a robust OS, then just maybe MS doesn't need their business and should really support manufacturers and carriers who want the best.
    3) Re: The Samsung issue; I like the look/feel of the Samsung products I've seen, but their pursuit of yet another OS doesn't bode well. I'm old enough to remember serial printers where each manufacturer had their own cable pinout map and . . . don't see too many serial printers anymore, do you?

I saw where one poster said they have an ATIV-S which was the only WP8 phone I was really interested in, but which I understand wasn't going to be released in the US. However, I'm still looking for real improvement in the mobile OS to at least restore the functionality I used to have.

The Win8 issue has been further confused by MS with their RT vs Win8 releases. RT is a crippled OS tied to iPad wanna-be's at a price at least $200 above a realistic price point. Win8 on the tablets I've tried (Samsung and Acer) has been smooth and useful. If MS would concentrate on building a WP8 release focused on reasonably replicating Win8 capability on a WP8 phone or phablet, I'll be in line at midnight waiting for the store to open.

And given Samsung's attitude, it would be especially sweet if Nokia's name were on the case.
    03-16-2013 08:44 AM
    Samsung's Windows Phone 8's botched launch was the sole doing of Samsung. Did they honestly think that they could make an impact without even selling an international midtier device? I mean, midtiers like the Lumia 710 are the biggest sellers!
    03-16-2013 10:52 AM
    It's obvious that their primary focus is Android. More manufacturers that support WP8 would be great but Nokia is doing an amazing job and HTC isn't doing bad either (they recently won the Red Dot design award for the 8X and 8S).
    Nokia has no choice but to promote windows phone as much as they can, Microsoft has invested a huge steak into the company, if Nokia wasn't tied in with Microsoft money, they would have either gone into administration or they would be promoting windows phone or lack there off as much as HTC or even Samsung.
    03-16-2013 06:50 PM
    Nokia has no choice but to promote windows phone as much as they can, Microsoft has invested a huge steak into the company, if Nokia wasn't tied in with Microsoft money, they would have either gone into administration or they would be promoting windows phone or lack there off as much as HTC or even Samsung.
    Actually Nokia provides Microsoft with mapping for WP and Bing and still pay license fees for WP so they are not just kicking back and enjoying the platform support payments from Microsoft. And they made a choice to go with WP for what they thought they could do with the OS to differentiate themselves and they are following through with that as a business strategy, not out of desperation.
    03-16-2013 08:26 PM
    Haters gonna hate! I couldnt care less about what Samsung has to say about WP8 and MS...i love my Lumia 620 and i love WP!
    I'm a former Android user (owned an Xperia Mini running Android ICS) and the transition was smooth for me...i quick learned how to use WP and i found all the apps i need in the store, so basically, this phone serves my needs as well as Android did, just in a smoother and more elegant way (i love Metro UI)!
    So if the phone is serving the purposes i want it for, i dont see why should i care about pplz saying it sux. I know it doesent!

This Samsung bashing WP thing is all about making way for Tizen OS, #3 OS spot is still open and Samsung wants it with its own OS...i rly hope WP and Nokia will grow even more for the next months, what attracted me to WP world was Nokia and its excellent Lumias, so i think they are doing a pretty good job...if they had picked Android, they would be just another one in the already saturated Android market.

So yeah, i'm happy with my Lumia and that's all i care about XD
    WinFan1 and Pepe D Vegas like this.
    03-16-2013 09:13 PM
84 1234