04-28-2013 02:29 PM
84 1234
tools
    We still have HTC and Nokia.
    03-16-2013 10:46 PM
    I remembered something earlier today. When Samsung was hit with the 1 Billion dollar fine I read something about how Samsung wasn't too happy that Google didn't do much to back them up and instead Google just released some vanilla statement. I'm sure that wouldn't be forgotten and even though analysts are saying that Samsung won't dump Android it is still a possibility.
    03-16-2013 11:32 PM
    And I get the feeling the only reason Samsung retool a galaxy into another case and release a WP phone is to get a lower payment to MS.

That's exactly how it feels and I'm not interested in buying from a company doing it to save some $ here and there but are not really interested any more.

early days I got an Omnia 7 and with it's understated clean front and metal back (and changeable battery) I still think it was one of the better release devices. Then Samsung released some really useful apps; GLONASS (makes omnia7 quickest and best GPS fix I've ever had not just phones), All Share, dictionary etc. etc. don't think there have been any serious new apps since quite a long time now (just updates).

Since the Omnia 7 I've seen zero commitment to WP from them. Devices don't look as premium to me as Omnia 7 did, no more apps, no advertising, almost like they don't care. Well the reason they are not selling **** now is because people pick up on the fact WP is something they don't give a **** about and think Samsung won't be in market for long. They then look at Nokia for example and think " they're in this for the long hall, look at all those useful apps that they give me and I'll get updates for them, and I've had nokia's and know they'll look after me"....

that Mr Dim Witt is why you are not selling WP phones. It's not because the OS isn't good. It's because customers see that you are uninterested and want to buy from a company who is committed and proud to show their WP wares.

Now sod off and do your shot's across the bow and gesturing elsewhere :)

john

PS I won't come back for another WP phone from Samsung it will likely be Nokia as like their; service, apps, designs and commitment
    03-17-2013 04:42 AM
    Notice I did not say go down the drain, although I may have implied it. Enthusiasm in the sense people got spoiled from galaxy II to galaxy III, the huge jump in functionality. The leap to the galaxy iv is not as large. The reviews on the new phone are mixed. Samsung went down in the stock market due to disappointment in features and expectations.
    I think you would have to be careful before making the assumptions you are making. There are three I caught in the little excerpt I've quoted above - the relevance of reviewers, the logic of the stock market, and the actual buying public.

• Reviewers. Traditionally, reviewers have never aligned themselves with the public. Tech blogs such as Engadget and The Verge run entirely on OS X, which has a market share more laughable than Windows Phone (because of the length of its existence in the PC industry and the imperfections of Windows). They gave positive upon positive reviews to MacBooks, but that didn't make users flock to them. For PCs, the ordinary consumer gets primarily influenced by three things - marketing, the sales rep and the price tag. With the subsidy model of phones, that narrows down to marketing and the sales rep. (In countries with less focus on subsidies, cheaper phones sell well despite their flaws - I personally saw the Galaxy Ace and original Galaxy S sold to several people in a store this year, with the 620 hidden away in a shelf.)
    • The stock market. I don't think any more needs to be said, you can barely draw anything concrete out of a stock moving up or down, especially in such a short time frame.
    • The buying public. Here's an example I'd like to give you: the iPad. Tech sites are running stories where the iPad is losing out to Android. Wait, really? Last time I checked, my aunt has an iPad. My brothers have iPads. My other aunt and other aunt and uncle and other uncle also have iPads. My mom wants an iPad. Half the people in my lectures have iPads. Who wants a Galaxy Tab instead of an iPad? Maybe some Android fans and tech enthusiasts, but not the hundreds of millions who create the big honking markets and make the cash flow. Sure, maybe it's the new in-thing to give your kid a laggy Kindle Fire for their birthday, but Apple hasn't lost a thing for that.

Just because some vocal enthusiasts and reviewers are shouting loudly does not mean the Galaxy SIV is going to do poorly. In fact, last year no one really saw the S3 to be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, yet it still blasted them in sales. That's because becoming a household name and something that ordinary people want or need is not a metric measurable in the hardware and software of a product.
    03-18-2013 01:01 AM
    Microsoft desperately needs to change its image. It all starts from whether you like it or not... They need a breath of fresh air. A new marketing personality that doesn't look like he's gonna attack the crowd if they don't get his products (any idea of who I'm talking about? hehe).

Windows 8 is good, but most people hate on it because it is trending to hate Microsoft. Well they should take it seriously... Ballmer is not loved by many and Ben Rudolf is not that smart marketing guy the company needs. Maybe Belfiore is ready, but I don't know if he can create excitement for Microsoft's products.

But I think they need to take the market by surprise with a little bit more enthusiasm and innovative ideas, that will force medias to give good press on Microsoft. It's not by being late to every market that you can succeed. They need a game changer. They have to create a need.
    03-18-2013 01:19 AM
    Microsoft desperately needs to change its image. It all starts from whether you like it or not... They need a breath of fresh air. A new marketing personality that doesn't look like he's gonna attack the crowd if they don't get his products (any idea of who I'm talking about? hehe).

Windows 8 is good, but most people hate on it because it is trending to hate Microsoft. Well they should take it seriously... Ballmer is not loved by many and Ben Rudolf is not that smart marketing guy the company needs. Maybe Belfiore is ready, but I don't know if he can create excitement for Microsoft's products.

But I think they need to take the market by surprise with a little bit more enthusiasm and innovative ideas, that will force medias to give good press on Microsoft. It's not by being late to every market that you can succeed. They need a game changer. They have to create a need.
    They need to make it not-Windows. i.e. I and many people like me (tech-savvy in other words) understand that WP8 is nothing like Windows apart from the UI similarities with Win 8. But for most people, the name Windows resonates with the old desktop OS and represents something they don't like.
    03-18-2013 06:04 AM
    ill just chime this in, Samsung is really crappy for not giving users the phone the wanted in the U.S but even if their tizen does not take off, i doubt it will be samsungs undoing especially considering the fact that they just have a titanic product line, perhaps if tizen fails you will get a samsung who will most likely decide on android but at the end of the day samsung is a juggernaut. i hate how they are acting towards microsoft, but i wont sit here and lie and say ill never buy another samsung product again as i have been a huge supporter of their TV's
    03-18-2013 10:51 AM
    ill just chime this in, Samsung is really crappy for not giving users the phone the wanted in the U.S but even if their tizen does not take off, i doubt it will be samsungs undoing especially considering the fact that they just have a titanic product line, perhaps if tizen fails you will get a samsung who will most likely decide on android but at the end of the day samsung is a juggernaut. i hate how they are acting towards microsoft, but i wont sit here and lie and say ill never buy another samsung product again as i have been a huge supporter of their TV's
    Tizen will fail, it looks boring compared to iOS..
    03-18-2013 12:03 PM
    Tizen will fail, it looks boring compared to iOS..
    dont make assumptions. i want it to crash and burn to be honest but i cant ever count out a competing OS
    03-18-2013 12:35 PM
    I think Tizen will do okay. The Galaxy S4 is kind of preparing people for when Tizen comes. They're moving further away from stock Android and focusing on customized software. Kind of like Amazon.

The next step is Tizen. Where they'll probably still have many of those same services to keep continuity.

Also remember that Samsung makes TVs. Those TVs can connect to a Samsung app store. I would not be surprised to see that app store somehow connected to their phones. That could be their answer to getting into your living room. Competition to the XBOX in that sense.
    Muessig likes this.
    03-18-2013 12:54 PM
    I think Tizen will do okay. The Galaxy S4 is kind of preparing people for when Tizen comes. They're moving further away from stock Android and focusing on customized software. Kind of like Amazon.

The next step is Tizen. Where they'll probably still have many of those same services to keep continuity.

Also remember that Samsung makes TVs. Those TVs can connect to a Samsung app store. I would not be surprised to see that app store somehow connected to their phones. That could be their answer to getting into your living room. Competition to the XBOX in that sense.
    while I agree with the proposed theory I disagree that it will be any viable competition to the Xbox. The Xbox Is a very well established media consumption device, with the added functionality of a game console.
    03-18-2013 01:19 PM

I ddon't see it thrive tho... There is a huge lack of personality in Tizen.
    03-18-2013 01:19 PM
    I'm guessing they will attempt something similar to BB in that they will add the ability to port over Android apps
    03-18-2013 02:56 PM
    I'm guessing they will attempt something similar to BB in that they will add the ability to port over Android apps
    For Tizen was announced the support for android apps. How deep this support will be remains to be seen. If the app is just a mini web page no problem. If app uses backgraound agents and notifications and links to events related to sms beeing received and stuff one can not know. A great many number of apps on android use such features that may not be supported in Tizen. But the ability to run android apps without recompile on another os will make it sell in great numbers just with a bit of marketing
    03-18-2013 03:07 PM
    while I agree with the proposed theory I disagree that it will be any viable competition to the Xbox. The Xbox Is a very well established media consumption device, with the added functionality of a game console.
    I dont think it will be much competition to the Xbox either, but the point is that they are working to gain multiple ways into your life.
    03-19-2013 01:01 AM
    I just want Microsoft to innovate with Blue and earn more respect from the medias.
    03-19-2013 03:44 AM
    I dont think it will be much competition to the Xbox either, but the point is that they are working to gain multiple ways into your life.
    well it will be interesting to see the reception of tizen. if its anything like the previews i have seen i think ill pass.
    03-19-2013 07:52 AM
    Look at Samsung have the balls to talk trash now that they're #1. I hope they're counting they're days well because there is no other way from up, but to go down.
    03-19-2013 09:02 PM
    I don't want to be alarming, but the S4 will sell more than any other phone. Samsung will win this one and by the same occasion android. But this autumn could be all about WP.
    abel920 likes this.
    03-20-2013 10:45 AM
    I don't want to be alarming, but the S4 will sell more than any other phone. Samsung will win this one and by the same occasion android. But this autumn could be all about WP.
    Given how long iPhone was number one for, I think we've got another 2-3 years to go before that happens.
    HeyCori likes this.
    03-25-2013 07:41 AM
    Given how long iPhone was number one for, I think we've got another 2-3 years to go before that happens.
    It would not surprise me if it took longer than 2-3 years. The perfect example is the original Xbox. It was released in 2001 and it took nearly a decade for anyone could start calling it a success. And while it took Microsoft that long to become a major player in the console market, look at how long it took Nintendo to lose it's number one spot. . Microsoft isn't just in it for the long haul. It's a long haul, period. I'd be happy if Microsoft hit 20-30% after two years. That's a solid chunk of market share when you consider that there's currently 4 major players now with a few smaller players waiting to emerge.
    03-25-2013 07:53 AM
    Strange how lenovo and HP seem to have 0 issues with selling plenty of windows 8 computers...
    03-25-2013 07:34 PM
    Look at Samsung have the balls to talk trash now that they're #1. I hope they're counting they're days well because there is no other way from up, but to go down. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...8/b80efe23.gif
    or more up :D
    03-28-2013 09:29 AM
    Depends on what you call #1, in mobile yes, in computers definitely not. They have also only done a mediocre job at their WP8 phones anyways, its not like they really made any new phone for it, they just took their current galaxy line and shoved windows hone onto it, like the ativ S and the focus S. Not that its a bad strategy but they didn't do anything innovative or different like HTC or nokia. In ay case, I would much rather take an HTC one or a lumia 920 over a GS4. Samsung build quality on phones past the GS2 IMO, were not good, same with their tablets, they feel plasticky and cheap. Not like the Lumia, for example which while plastic (polycarbonate), feels very durable and well built.

They're windows 8 computers also seem to be outclassed by HP, Lenovo, dell, other manufactures too.
    03-28-2013 01:47 PM
    This, probably, do sent mean Samsung has haven up on the platform , in a whole.
    04-17-2013 03:07 AM
84 1234