Samsung co CEO dumps on Win8 and WP8

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Samsung was there for MS in the beginning with their Focus, Omnia and Focus 2 phones and for that they got little in return for their investment. WP is still(?) hovering around 3%. Trying to be objective here but if you owned Samsung where would you have doubts about WP after you supported it in 2010,2011,2012 and say only 3% while your android phone is doing X times better

As of today (March 15,2013), if Samsung wanted to swap out the OS in their Galaxy 4 device with WP they couldn't because WP currently only supports 2 cores, WP currently does not support 1920x1080 resolution. I think HTC even mentioned that they couldnt make a 2013 Hero phone because of the OS limitations.

MS is moving too slow for the HW vendors to show case their latest greatest. We all can argue about the need for HW feature X, but OEM don't care and will just put the their latest greatest HW innovations on Android.

Yes, Microsoft is moving too slow, nobody would argue that. But dumping a couple of devices on the market and not doing anything afterwards to market them is not exactly helping. Look at Nokia, 1st phone released in November 2011 and now they sell the majority of WP devices. All because they dedicated resources to it, promoted it, and innovated on top of it to the point they are winning awards starting with the Lumia 900 and now the 920 is considered the most innovative smartphone, and that is with the same OS Samsung also has access to. So how is Nokia able to achive all this for WP yet Samsung with all their profits and mindshare cant? Simple, they didnt try so they really shouldnt complain.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung clearly are not interested in WP. Watching their (awful) presentation yesterday I noticed they only mentioned Android once. It was all about their own software and customizations which they are selling to differentiate themselves from the competition. With WP they are limited to how they can make it unique to them, plus they have to buy a license from Microsoft. You can see their move to Tizen where they will pretty much own they whole platform.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is making excuses for their poor Windows tablet sales and their WP sales.

They thought their name alone would let them dominate both.

The Surface, and even Lenovo, dominated them in Windows RT and Windows 8.

Nokia dominated them in WP8.

They underestimated their competition in the Windows arena. Now, they're embarrassed and have to make excuses.

They never went in with a plan to win.

Then again, with Tizen around the corner, they probably don't care too much about losing.

They only still speak positively about Android because they're winning there. But they will turn on them soon enough.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is a business and business is extremely good for them with Android... but samsung will without a doubt be dropping Android for Tizen once/if it catches on. may take some time or may not catch on at all because new OS's biggest hurdle is apps to compete with appstores that have been building for years.

Not a fan of samsungs business model of stealing ideas from others BUT can respect them as a business in terms of profits.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This only adds further into the conspiracy that Samsung is intentionally crippling Windows 8/Phone 8. After all, they barely launched the Ativ S. Didn't bother to advertise it. You wouldn't even know it existed if not for a handful of blogs. And quite honestly, they didn't try very hard with that name. The same with the Ativ tablet. Zero marketing or effort into getting their W8/WP8 devices into people's hands. Yet, they spent like 4 billion to advertise their Galaxy line.

Samsung: So no one's buying a product they didn't even knew existed...

DING! DING! DING!

As others have pointed out, Microsoft's 1.5 million Surface tablets sounds like a small number but that equals nearly a billion dollars in revenue in only 5 months. That's including limited supply and retail outlets. What did Microsoft do that Samsung didn't?

ADVERTISE

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Article on Engadget states that the demand for W8 &WP is lackluster.

Samsung's JK Shin: there's 'lackluster demand' for Windows-based phones, tablets

Well Mr Shin can go f*** himself. If Samsung showed the same support for Windows as they do for Android then they would see a better ROI. As great as the S3 sales are and the S4s potentially will be, they can take there plastic **** and f*** off. Ill have my L920 all day over that ****. Also, with the S4 they seem to think they are rhe new apple, nothing innovative but expect people to still buy and i doubt they wont but like Apple, Sammy will realise people get tired of the same old ****. Anyway just my 2cents. I am sure ill have droid fans after my head but this is just my OPINION.

point taken, but pick up a dictionary man. use real words to express what you mean

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So, Samsung releases a phone for WP8, a couple PC's for Windows 8, and doesn't do well? Is the Ativ S out in the US? What about there Ativ PC?

I know I can look that up. But that's my point. I honestly don't know, and I live in the US.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I think that Samsung is very interested in WP8. The Ativ S they made is a great device that works based on their S3 flagship. Not on the S2 or some other lower spec product. Problem is Nokia and their plethora of 3rd world cheap devices and their utterly unreliable Lumia 920. Nokia got it wrong, they should make cheap droids and higher end WP8 devices. So many cheap WP8 devices reduce the WP8 market to being cheap and unprofitable. Nokia also needs to get its act together on QC. You can make 10x more profit on one higher end device than on a 'el cheapo'. Samsung wants to make WP8, high end to take on Apple. Look at the Ativ S, it is their nicest device design wise. Even the new S4 is less pretty.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't disagree more with Coolknight. Nokia is doing everything right. One of their main advantages with their budget phones is WP8. And if they made Androids MS wouldn't be giving them $1B a year. So in what world would it make sense to make low end Androids?

And his quality assessment of the 920 could not be further from the truth. Had 2 here since launch day with no problems whatsoever other than the WP8 reboot bug which has long been fixed.

As for 10x the profit on higher end devices, the problem is there are a lot less people in the world looking to buy them. 10x the profit to 1/50th the market (don't know the actual figure) doesn't make sense.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Please pass the pipe cool knight, got some good stuff going there, I want a smoke, please see PC mag article on Nokia and wp8 satisfaction, admittedly small sample but still highly respected magazine

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't help when Microsoft is moving as slow as a snail in a traffic jam in updating both operating systems. Too many fixes needed for both W8/RT & WP8 yet Microsoft seems content to wait to fix problems. Windows 8 especially needs it and when you consider that ios and android are eating their lunch left right and center you wonder why they are leaving it so long and don't even update their core apps more frequently.

Ultimately though I think Microsoft needs to realize their so called "partners" are really that in name only and they are no longer they allies they were previously so they need to start pulling the lead out in both hardware and software for W8 and WP8.

How many updates have there been for Windows 8 and RT since October? Please compare to the stunning array of Android updates - zero. How many updates were there in total to ICS and JB? Let's then take that one step further and ponder how many Android devices ever see a major update. While we are at it, how fast has Apple dealt with known issues with its current MacOS and how many IOS updates have there been in five years? Please get your facts straight before accusing Microsoft of being slow. They are by far the most responsive company in the game when it comes to updates, whether they be for features, performance or bugs. If people stopped buying into ten year old BS about Microsoft, they would easily recognize their press influenced perceptions have no bearing in reality....

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung half-assed their way into the Windows Phone 8 market and then complains that WP8 has not been good to them. I know most of us have barely seen an ATIV S on display in any store or even know where they are available. The Nokia and HTC devices have gotten good publicity and are widely available.

I hope Nokia doesn't use Samsung for parts and if they do then they should dump them ASAP and go with another company.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Well everyday i see news of Asus, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer bringing new Computers/Hybrids/Tablets for Windows 8 Family.

I bought my Pc in 2009 with Windows Vista but its already on Windows 8 :)

Nokia and HTC bringing new Phones to Windows Phone Family etc...

Samsung is just a lazy company that wants to dominate, soon they will drop Android for Tizan OS but i think that will be the fall of them, they think they can own everything but they aint no Google, Apple or Microsoft.

Meanwhile we can only Hope Nokia will keep rising, i Love Samsung business, i love their Tvs, their DVDs i own all kind of Samsung Devices but they are becoming lazy and arrogante, it stupid, people should allways be honest because future might surprise you.

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
MS should simply hand over WP8 to nokia. Im 100% sure they'll do a much better and quicker job at getting it to the top of the game and actually snatch away Android and iOS' market share. I can bet on that.

MS is just WAY too slow at fixing ****. And its super weird considering they're THE software giants. They have the resources- the capital, the employees and scientists, the technology, the name- all of it. To make WP8 the king. But they just dont. They need to focus on WP a lot now. Its do or die for them. And if they dont they can say good-bye to even their leadership in the Computer OS market. People will look at getting MacOS and chrome on their notebooks, laptops, computers, tablets sooner or later if MS doesnt make it big in the phone game. Thats just what i think.
If Chrome and Android become ONE single platform for both their phones and notebooks and they optimize chrome to support major software that people use on their computers like photoshop etc.. MS are doomed.

They need to push and make stuff happen now. I love my 920 coming from a Note. It is simply amazing. The tiles are incredible and everything is great. But they need to increase market share and get a lot of big devs to support the platform. Theyve made something great now they need to polish and market it like crazy.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The Surface, and even Lenovo, dominated them in Windows RT and Windows 8.

Nokia dominated them in WP8.

'Dominates' makes it sound like they have won a competition worth winning - being the top of the pile in either surface or WP8 is like winning a beauty competition in your home town - nice for your mum but nobody else cares.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is the new Apple and will have the same lackluster enthusiasm going forward.
Apple has been the cool company for at least a decade now, though perhaps that is slightly eroding due to the new "openness" RDF and the reemergence of spec pissing. But there's no reason why Samsung is going down the drain anytime soon, it has only gained mind share in the past two years. People really do believe in Galaxy just as they believed in iPod and Mac.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea