Samsung co CEO dumps on Win8 and WP8

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I think Tizen will do okay. The Galaxy S4 is kind of preparing people for when Tizen comes. They're moving further away from stock Android and focusing on customized software. Kind of like Amazon.

The next step is Tizen. Where they'll probably still have many of those same services to keep continuity.

Also remember that Samsung makes TVs. Those TVs can connect to a Samsung app store. I would not be surprised to see that app store somehow connected to their phones. That could be their answer to getting into your living room. Competition to the XBOX in that sense.
while I agree with the proposed theory I disagree that it will be any viable competition to the Xbox. The Xbox Is a very well established media consumption device, with the added functionality of a game console.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think Tizen will do okay. The Galaxy S4 is kind of preparing people for when Tizen comes. They're moving further away from stock Android and focusing on customized software. Kind of like Amazon.

The next step is Tizen. Where they'll probably still have many of those same services to keep continuity.

Also remember that Samsung makes TVs. Those TVs can connect to a Samsung app store. I would not be surprised to see that app store somehow connected to their phones. That could be their answer to getting into your living room. Competition to the XBOX in that sense.

I ddon't see it thrive tho... There is a huge lack of personality in Tizen.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing they will attempt something similar to BB in that they will add the ability to port over Android apps

For Tizen was announced the support for android apps. How deep this support will be remains to be seen. If the app is just a mini web page no problem. If app uses backgraound agents and notifications and links to events related to sms beeing received and stuff one can not know. A great many number of apps on android use such features that may not be supported in Tizen. But the ability to run android apps without recompile on another os will make it sell in great numbers just with a bit of marketing

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
while I agree with the proposed theory I disagree that it will be any viable competition to the Xbox. The Xbox Is a very well established media consumption device, with the added functionality of a game console.

I dont think it will be much competition to the Xbox either, but the point is that they are working to gain multiple ways into your life.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont think it will be much competition to the Xbox either, but the point is that they are working to gain multiple ways into your life.
well it will be interesting to see the reception of tizen. if its anything like the previews i have seen i think ill pass.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Look at Samsung have the balls to talk trash now that they're #1. I hope they're counting they're days well because there is no other way from up, but to go down.
b80efe23.gif

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to be alarming, but the S4 will sell more than any other phone. Samsung will win this one and by the same occasion android. But this autumn could be all about WP.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Given how long iPhone was number one for, I think we've got another 2-3 years to go before that happens.

It would not surprise me if it took longer than 2-3 years. The perfect example is the original Xbox. It was released in 2001 and it took nearly a decade for anyone could start calling it a success. And while it took Microsoft that long to become a major player in the console market, look at how long it took Nintendo to lose it's number one spot. . Microsoft isn't just in it for the long haul. It's a long haul, period. I'd be happy if Microsoft hit 20-30% after two years. That's a solid chunk of market share when you consider that there's currently 4 major players now with a few smaller players waiting to emerge.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you call #1, in mobile yes, in computers definitely not. They have also only done a mediocre job at their WP8 phones anyways, its not like they really made any new phone for it, they just took their current galaxy line and shoved windows hone onto it, like the ativ S and the focus S. Not that its a bad strategy but they didn't do anything innovative or different like HTC or nokia. In ay case, I would much rather take an HTC one or a lumia 920 over a GS4. Samsung build quality on phones past the GS2 IMO, were not good, same with their tablets, they feel plasticky and cheap. Not like the Lumia, for example which while plastic (polycarbonate), feels very durable and well built.

They're windows 8 computers also seem to be outclassed by HP, Lenovo, dell, other manufactures too.

Andre Botelho

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
The main problem with wp is that everyone see it as Microsoft Windows and thinks that this is enough to sell. But MS does not promote it's system like the manufactures promotes it's phones.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
"Well Mr Shin can go f*** himself. If Samsung showed the same support for Windows as they do for Android then they would see a better ROI. As great as the S3 sales are and the S4s potentially will be, they can take there plastic **** and f*** off. Ill have my L920 all day over that ****. Also, with the S4 they seem to think they are rhe new apple, nothing innovative but expect people to still buy and i doubt they wont but like Apple, Sammy will realise people get tired of the same old ****. Anyway just my 2cents. I am sure ill have droid fans after my head but this is just my OPINION."

Samsung is the new Apple and will have the same lackluster enthusiasm going forward. Google is screwed once Samsung adopts a divide and conquer strategy with Tizen. The low and mid end is where the growth is higher, especially with major countries tipping into recession. Windows phone will do great here.

I don't really see how google can be screwed. Google owns Motorola, they have their own company that will be able to produce slightly less crappy Android phones. Sure Samsung is the android poster child but won't existing google users stay with their current mobile OS?
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

wokaz80

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
as much as i like Windows 8 and WP8 (i dont have WP8 device for now but i have a windows 8 tablet), the main problem with the OS is Microsoft's inability to adapt faster. I remember how shi**y Windows Mobile 6.5 was in first Xperia, very slow and had too much problems. Their first decent mobile OS was Windows Phone 7.5 mango and when it released people already flocked to android and iOS. Even blackberry already in decline back then. Regular people want to play casual games, want their phone to have instagram, etc. Microsoft is truly lacking in these vital features hence why not many casual people buy WP8.

Windows 8 is also facing the same problem. Google and Apple (and you can say Amazon if you count their OS is different from Android) already jumped into tablet market since 2009/2010 and Microsoft's first dedicated touch OS just came out recently. When Google and Apple are now battling in 7-8" screen size, Microsoft hasn't even supported that screen size yet. They are always one step behind. That's why it cant compete. What worse is, they force the same appearance to the desktop version hence why many people don't like it.

There's a reason why Apple never mix Mac OS X and iOS altogether. Instead Apple cleverly borrow iOS features bit by bit to be implemented in Mac OS X but Mac OS X still feels desktop and still pretty much different from iPad. This is actually how Microsoft should do it.

They should allow desktop users to start into desktop mode because like it or not we have to admit productivity is still there, right in desktop mode. People who use desktop are those who want to work not to play. That's why metro feels unimportant in desktop. At least that's how I see it. I have Windows 8 on my desktop too but honestly i almost never touched anything metro except skydrive, mail, skype, and IM+. Recently i even installed skype desktop version because it's easier to just switch between apps there instead having to go to start screen and click "Skype" or move your mouse to the top left and swipe it down and choose skype. The experience is totally different with a tablet because in tablet you can just swipe your finger to switch between apps.

we all know why people are bashing Windows 8. They use it on desktop or laptop. Most of them never really had a Windows 8 tablet hence why their experience was different from us whom use Windows 8 in its best environment (touch screen).

So again, i do like Windows 8. Win8 boot faster than Windows 7. It is even faster than Mac OS X. It's stable, fun, smooth, and refreshing. But in order to please the mass audience (not just me and you), they should try to compete faster and not always one step behind the others. They should try to innovate and (especially for Win8) the price needs to be competitive. Good thing that Intel would reduce its chip prices for next generation haswell and atom bay trail, it would be great to have next Windows Blue tablet for $300-400. They should know the market now is very competitive. Even Amazon wouldnt be able to compete if they never sold their Kindles in very cheap price in the first place.

about WP8, I think they should also allow all the same features of Nokia apps (no restriction at all) to be in Samsung/HTC WP8 devices. Honestly the biggest advantage of Lumia is their offline navigation maps which is very useful for travelers. Why on earth anyone would want to buy HTC/Samsung over Lumia?

Apply_Logic

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You guys should try to be realistic. I hope you all know the iPhone is still the best selling phone. As for Samsung they are the ****tiest company. The s4 is clearly not innovative people don't care about innovation as much they care about brand name. Right the top brand names in the smart phone biz are apple and Nokia. Nokia is by far the most innovative. But as for Microsoft and wp8, come on. Wp8 is so far behind the competition.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 is amazing, best OS out there foir sure, on Pcs at least.

On Tablets looks like iOS is still king and those iPad Sales are insane really.

As for WP8 is amazing OS but needs more features but things are coming and fast!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos