Samsung co CEO dumps on Win8 and WP8

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Article on Engadget states that the demand for W8 &WP is lackluster.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/15/jk-shin-no-demand-windows-products/

Well Mr Shin can go f*** himself. If Samsung showed the same support for Windows as they do for Android then they would see a better ROI. As great as the S3 sales are and the S4s potentially will be, they can take there plastic **** and f*** off. Ill have my L920 all day over that ****. Also, with the S4 they seem to think they are rhe new apple, nothing innovative but expect people to still buy and i doubt they wont but like Apple, Sammy will realise people get tired of the same old ****. Anyway just my 2cents. I am sure ill have droid fans after my head but this is just my OPINION.

Anaron

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It's obvious that their primary focus is Android. More manufacturers that support WP8 would be great but Nokia is doing an amazing job and HTC isn't doing bad either (they recently won the Red Dot design award for the 8X and 8S).

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As many articles have pointed out, Samsung have their Tizen OS due out later this year, it makes perfect sense for them to try and cobble the competition.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't help when Microsoft is moving as slow as a snail in a traffic jam in updating both operating systems. Too many fixes needed for both W8/RT & WP8 yet Microsoft seems content to wait to fix problems. Windows 8 especially needs it and when you consider that ios and android are eating their lunch left right and center you wonder why they are leaving it so long and don't even update their core apps more frequently.

Ultimately though I think Microsoft needs to realize their so called "partners" are really that in name only and they are no longer they allies they were previously so they need to start pulling the lead out in both hardware and software for W8 and WP8.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Together with the previous rumors of "fixing defects found in Windows Phone apparently need three OEMs to demanding a fix before it is fixed." this paints a very sad picture.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the Ativ S could have been a solid seller for Samsung if it had a multi carrier release live the Galaxy. A television commercial every two seconds wouldn't hurt either. Samsung releases the phone late, in few markets, doesn't promote it at all and then complains about sales... NICE!!!

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Here's a reasonable three-step program for Microsoft to improve on their WP strategy:

1) Direct all the resources currently working with Samsung to Nokia (or HTC if they want to commit further in their WP strategy).

2) Let Nokia have more influencing power in decisions regarding WP software development direction (they have 80% of the marketshare, they should know by now what's needed and what is not). If Nokia wants support for some HW or wants to change something in the software, think about it very carefully before you say no. Or better yet, just do whatever they ask.

3) Set up a meeting with that JK Shin and kick him in the dick.

One-horse game is not optimal for Microsoft, but they clearly failed to attract other manufacturers to commit to their platform and it's now time to change the game plan.

Last edited:

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
We all know they're not going to improve. WP7 was released in 2010, we're now in 2013 and we're still not much further than we were 3 years ago.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
We all know they're not going to improve. WP7 was released in 2010, we're now in 2013 and we're still not much further than we were 3 years ago.

Exactly. Two steps back, zero steps forward doesn't make for a very successful product. Somebody needs to take a cattle prod to MS and get the ball rolling. Forward, not backwards. There are either major roadblocks with wp8 software or they are going in yet another direction like combining RT and WP kernals. Whatever it is, I've lost my patience.

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
"Well Mr Shin can go f*** himself. If Samsung showed the same support for Windows as they do for Android then they would see a better ROI. As great as the S3 sales are and the S4s potentially will be, they can take there plastic **** and f*** off. Ill have my L920 all day over that ****. Also, with the S4 they seem to think they are rhe new apple, nothing innovative but expect people to still buy and i doubt they wont but like Apple, Sammy will realise people get tired of the same old ****. Anyway just my 2cents. I am sure ill have droid fans after my head but this is just my OPINION."

Samsung is the new Apple and will have the same lackluster enthusiasm going forward. Google is screwed once Samsung adopts a divide and conquer strategy with Tizen. The low and mid end is where the growth is higher, especially with major countries tipping into recession. Windows phone will do great here.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
With all the flaws that wp8 it is still easier to use than either ios or android! I would take my Trophy over my wife's iPhone 5 any day of the week. Microsoft just needs to get the apps people want and then get people to see that using them on WP is better! The celebrity my windows phone campaign was a good start but it needs to continue. Curious to see what Verizon will do for the 928.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is going to have to figure out if their mobile strategy is more suited to an Android type of situation, where they have multiple OEMs making Windows devices, or an Apple type of situation, where they have one OEM making Windows devices.

Judging by the lackluster support from HTC and Samsung, I would imagine that the latter would be the smarter direction.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is going to have to figure out if their mobile strategy is more suited to an Android type of situation, where they have multiple OEMs making Windows devices, or an Apple type of situation, where they have one OEM making Windows devices.

Judging by the lackluster support from HTC and Samsung, I would imagine that the latter would be the smarter direction.

I would say two OEMs are required. That way they can innovate against each other to bring more to the table. One OEM = rehash after rehash...

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It sounds for me that Samsung want better deal from Microsoft ... threating is sometimes a way to negotiate ...

I have some Samsung laptops and all with Windows (a last one with Win 8)... would I buy their laptop without Windows ? - No, I would not ...

Samsung make their big money by android cp - maybe they have a better deal with Google, who knows - anyway, it is competitive priced combination (like S3 or Note 2) ...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would say two OEMs are required. That way they can innovate against each other to bring more to the table. One OEM = rehash after rehash...

That single OEM would still have to compete with other platforms so there would still be a need to innovate, perhaps even greater as they would be the sole maker of WP and would be easier to measure and expose shortcomings against the competition.

Has to be better than the current situation where two of the chief WP OEM's seem to be the ones most against it.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't help when Microsoft is moving as slow as a snail in a traffic jam in updating both operating systems. Too many fixes needed for both W8/RT & WP8 yet Microsoft seems content to wait to fix problems. Windows 8 especially needs it and when you consider that ios and android are eating their lunch left right and center you wonder why they are leaving it so long and don't even update their core apps more frequently.

Ultimately though I think Microsoft needs to realize their so called "partners" are really that in name only and they are no longer they allies they were previously so they need to start pulling the lead out in both hardware and software for W8 and WP8.

Samsung was there for MS in the beginning with their Focus, Omnia and Focus 2 phones and for that they got little in return for their investment. WP is still(?) hovering around 3%. Trying to be objective here but if you owned Samsung where would you have doubts about WP after you supported it in 2010,2011,2012 and say only 3% while your android phone is doing X times better

As of today (March 15,2013), if Samsung wanted to swap out the OS in their Galaxy 4 device with WP they couldn't because WP currently only supports 2 cores, WP currently does not support 1920x1080 resolution. I think HTC even mentioned that they couldnt make a 2013 Hero phone because of the OS limitations.

MS is moving too slow for the HW vendors to show case their latest greatest. We all can argue about the need for HW feature X, but OEM don't care and will just put the their latest greatest HW innovations on Android.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Here's a reasonable three-step program for Microsoft to improve on their WP strategy:

1) Direct all the resources currently working with Samsung to Nokia (or HTC if they want to commit further in their WP strategy).

2) Let Nokia have more influencing power in decisions regarding WP software development direction (they have 80% of the marketshare, they should know by now what's needed and what is not). If Nokia wants support for some HW or wants to change something in the software, think about it very carefully before you say no. Or better yet, just do whatever they ask.

3) Set up a meeting with that JK Shin and kick him in the dick.

One-horse game is not optimal for Microsoft, but they clearly failed to attract other manufacturers to commit to their platform and it's now time to change the game plan.

I'm down with item #3. LOL!

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I now have a Samsung Ativ S. I think it is a brilliant device. Will see if it is as trouble free as my HTC 8X. Battery life seems to be very good so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel