05-29-2013 08:25 AM
119 1234 ...
tools
    Smart watches might work, but there has to be a decent infrastructure if they're to interact with things other than electronics. Otherwise, that's the natural extension I see going forward with smart watches. At some point it'll be a **** Tracy watch, but before then I can only imagine it'd be used to interact with every other device you have to accomplish smaller tasks that aren't as demanding (maybe shooting a quick email, IM, or txt msg; checking feed updates, photos, social check-ins, maps.)

Of course, the problem as it is now is battery life. Frankly, I'd rather have a standard watch to tell time. Someone hit me up when the Omni tool gets invented.
    03-26-2013 01:30 PM
    Smartphones were not that smart. Give it some time and smart watches will replace your smartphone. Were not in the 90's anymore, technology evolves faster and faster and soon taking your phone out of your pocket will be considered as a waste of time.
    Seems like you are already forgetting the terminologies.
    Watch: Shows you what time it is.
    Phone: a voice communication tool.
    phones already replaced the watches.
    03-26-2013 02:03 PM
    Seems like you are already forgetting the terminologies.
    Watch: Shows you what time it is.
    Phone: a voice communication tool.
    phones already replaced the watches.
    Maybe because phones evolved and watches didn't? Only time will tell, but I'm pretty confident that smart watches will be popular.
    03-26-2013 02:08 PM
    Having a smart watch is ridiculous my smart phone is just fine. I don't wear watches and don't plan to. A watch replacing our phones? Some phones screens are huge try having that attached to your wrist and let me know how that feels. Microsoft can stay away from it completely, I log that into the who cares category..
    03-26-2013 02:10 PM
    Having a smart watch is ridiculous my smart phone is just fine. I don't wear watches and don't plan to. A watch replacing our phones? Some phones screens are huge try having that attached to your wrist and let me know how that feels. Microsoft can stay away from it completely, I log that into the who cares category..
    I have never been to the future but having everything on your wrist and nothing else would be more practical than digging your pocket for a smartphone that wouldn't do much more.
    03-26-2013 02:16 PM
    been there, done that...another market/device where Microsoft entered years ago before anyone was ready: Time runs out on Microsoft's SPOT watches | Crave - CNET
    Pepe D Vegas likes this.
    03-26-2013 02:21 PM
    Most people enjoy larger screens on there phones. What you are saying is having smart watch on your arm not just your wrist is more practical? Unless the screen never breaks its completely impractical for me. The size, the weight and the distractions it would cause defeat any good it may have. I guess some would want 2 inch screens I however don't.
    03-26-2013 02:23 PM
    been there, done that...another market/device where Microsoft entered years ago before anyone was ready: Time runs out on Microsoft's SPOT watches | Crave - CNET
    But old-tech is not like wine, it doesn't get better with time. It doesn't count if you gave up and then change your mind because someone else succeeded where you failed... microsoft was late in the smartphone market, but they pratically invented the smartphone (not really, but you get the idea). Being late means that you didn't get mind share and it's twice as important as market share.
    03-26-2013 02:37 PM
    Most people enjoy larger screens on there phones. What you are saying is having smart watch on your arm not just your wrist is more practical? Unless the screen never breaks its completely impractical for me. The size, the weight and the distractions it would cause defeat any good it may have. I guess some would want 2 inch screens I however don't.
    Assuming that a smart watch will be around 250$-300$ I feel like my 200$ leather watch from Fossil was a rip off. The only thing in it's favor is that the less high tech a product is, the longer it last.
    03-26-2013 02:44 PM
    I'll stick with my fossil coz, I'm fu&%ing smart....
    920Walker likes this.
    03-26-2013 03:03 PM
    I'll stick with my fossil coz, I'm fu&%ing smart....
    Smart watches have a practical use, so you wouldn't be stupid to buy it, but on the other hand you will have to change your watch more often.

But if I had enough money to follow the wave and buy a new smart watch every time I want to switch from a platform to another, I would buy one every year. 'Till then my Fossil is just fine too.
    03-26-2013 03:11 PM
    Buddy I don't have the money to pick up smart watches, phones, glasses every year. So I consciously turn away from the practical uses its got to offer...
    920Walker likes this.
    03-26-2013 03:21 PM
    I just don't see the appeal of a smartwatch. The interface will be far too small to provide anything with a truly groundbreaking functionality. I think this is simply Apple throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.
    03-26-2013 03:46 PM
    Smart watches have a practical use, so you wouldn't be stupid to buy it, but on the other hand you will have to change your watch more often.

But if I had enough money to follow the wave and buy a new smart watch every time I want to switch from a platform to another, I would buy one every year. 'Till then my Fossil is just fine too.
    Assuming that you are talking about a watch sized device, and not something that covers your whole arm, how do you envision this device being used, and how will it replace the functions that require a larger screen?

A Google Glass type device makes more sense than a smart watch does.
    03-26-2013 03:46 PM
    Assuming that you are talking about a watch sized device, and not something that covers your whole arm, how do you envision this device being used, and how will it replace the functions that require a larger screen?

A Google Glass type device makes more sense than a smart watch does.
    I believe the opposite. I don't like Google Glass, why would I want to constantly wear glasses? It's also very rough on your eyes to have a display that close to your eyes. I don't believe that a 2" watch will replace the smartphone, but I believe we'll see watches of different shapes and different features depending on it's capacities. Until we are able to have everything on our wrist.

The problem is that you see it too much as a watch and not enough as an all-in-one device. Samsung had a project which was a smart watch made with a bendable touch display that you could wrap around your wrist. If you take that approach rather than the traditional one, you open yourself to more possibilities. With that kind of approach you can create a more complete device without limiting yourself to a 2" display.
    03-26-2013 04:38 PM
    I don't see the need for any wrist watch other than fashion......wear a bracelet .....your phone tells the time hahah ;)

Its kind of like making a smart calander ....... Redundant
    03-26-2013 04:45 PM
    I don't see the need for any wrist watch other than fashion......wear a bracelet .....your phone tells the time hahah ;)

Its kind of like making a smart calander ....... Redundant
    A smart calendar would be the worst idea. But I can look at my watch wherever I want even at work or at school if you are a student, unlike a smartphone. Which is why I don't rely on my Lumia to know what time it is. I always used a watch because it is more convenient than digging in your pocket to reach your smartphone every time you wonder what time it is.
    03-26-2013 04:53 PM
    Well you can buy a wrist band for your iPod nano and use that as a watch. I also saw a Bluetooth watch which lights its backlight blue to notify you that someone is calling. Its expensive and kinda dumb imo. Regardless what they do, they won't replace a classy watch from lets say skegen.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    03-26-2013 04:54 PM
    Could care less about a smart watch.
    03-26-2013 04:55 PM
    Well you can buy a wrist band for your iPod nano and use that as a watch. I also saw a Bluetooth watch which lights its backlight blue to notify you that someone is calling. Its expensive and kinda dumb imo. Regardless what they do, they won't replace a classy watch from lets say skegen.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    How many times have we said, "it won't change anytime soon" and it still changed? People believe that windows 7 and OS X have the perfect interfaces and that it won't change. But people like me who own several W8 devices know that it will eventually change.
    03-26-2013 05:00 PM
    Then that isn't a smart watch. Pulling your sleeve up all the time would be more impractical than pulling a phone out of a pocket.
    With global warming going the way it is, it won't be long before sleeves are a thing of the past. Problem solved!
    Simon Tupper likes this.
    03-26-2013 05:09 PM
    I just want a lightsaber
    No sir. Only a Jedi can carry a lightsaber. You are a Stormtrooper. You shall be issued a laser gun that can't hit the side of an Imperial Walker from a distance of 5 feet.
    03-26-2013 05:11 PM
    Just give me an automatic swiss made watch that tells time and date.

If you ever want to have physical contact with a woman again, stay away from a smartwatch. It's calculator watches all over again with a fancy screen.
    leinea likes this.
    03-26-2013 06:28 PM
    Just give me an automatic swiss made watch that tells time and date.

If you ever want to have physical contact with a woman again, stay away from a smartwatch. It's calculator watches all over again with a fancy screen.
    My wife already agreed to "for better or worse", so she's contractually obligated to deal with it ;)
    Simon Tupper likes this.
    03-26-2013 06:46 PM
    No sir. Only a Jedi can carry a lightsaber. You are a Stormtrooper. You shall be issued a laser gun that can't hit the side of an Imperial Walker from a distance of 5 feet.
    lol a stormtrooper can dream :P
    03-26-2013 09:48 PM
119 1234 ...