Smart watches are the next trending devices and microsoft will be late to the party.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Then that isn't a smart watch. Pulling your sleeve up all the time would be more impractical than pulling a phone out of a pocket.

Im brainstorming here haha I'm not trying to prove a point. They are not on the market yet, but I'm pretty sure it will sell well. Anything that can make you look cool and rich would sell these days. Look at all the money people throw out of the window with their iDevices and all the iAdaptors you must buy because they can't use standard ports(you know...its not smart enough for Apple). They spend thousands on products that would cost less if you were not forced to buy Apple-only. So my guess is that the iWatch will sell like candies and their owners will make the others feel poor or not cool. The result will be a big buzz for a device that nobody know why they need one (iPhone, anyone?).

Last edited:

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Im brainstorming here haha I'm not trying to prove a point. Their are not on the market yet, but I'm pretty sure it will sell well. Anything that can make you look cool and rich would sell these days. Look at all the money people throw out of the window with their iDevices and all the iAdaptors you must buy because they can't use standard ports(you know...its not smart enough for Apple). They spend thousands on products that would cost less if you were not forced to buy Apple-only. So my guess is that the iWatch will sell like candies and their owners will make the others feel poor or not cool. The result will be a big buzz for a device that nobody know why they need one (iPhone, anyone?).

I cant see how smart 'sleeves' are 2-3 years away!

Besides if you want to create a vision for the future why worry about watches or sleeves - why not a small device that pins to your clothing and projects a holographic screen on command right in front of your face with crystal clear 3D HD and gesture voice commands? I think that is more likely to be the future, not smart watches. Doubt its 2-3 years away though!.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The thing is though that something like the internet would have to change quite radically for these to take off I feel. There's just no way you will comfortably browse the web on a 2" watch screen. Voice commands for example can make operating these quite easy for the most parts if voice recognition etc advances alot like it probably will, but I really don't want to walk around the city talking to my hand.

Point being, I don't see these be anything more than accessories to your phone and at that point most people probably won't bother and will just dig the phone from their pocket.

Somehow having to charge a watch daily isn't that attractive idea either, but hey.. wireless charging: just lay the watch next to your 920 on the nightstand :p

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The thing is though that something like the internet would have to change quite radically for these to take off I feel. There's just no way you will comfortably browse the web on a 2" watch screen. Voice commands for example can make operating these quite easy for the most parts if voice recognition etc advances alot like it probably will, but I really don't want to walk around the city talking to my hand.

Point being, I don't see these be anything more than accessories to your phone and at that point most people probably won't bother and will just dig the phone from their pocket.

Somehow having to charge a watch daily isn't that attractive idea either, but hey.. wireless charging: just lay the watch next to your 920 on the nightstand :p

It has to be more than one day on a charge. The screen is small and it's not performing a lot of background tasks.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Beside, it would be good for Microsoft to be "in time". If smart watches are a success and Ballmer makes another "We are late to the game" conference, then they won't have any good press soon.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Smart watches might work, but there has to be a decent infrastructure if they're to interact with things other than electronics. Otherwise, that's the natural extension I see going forward with smart watches. At some point it'll be a Dick Tracy watch, but before then I can only imagine it'd be used to interact with every other device you have to accomplish smaller tasks that aren't as demanding (maybe shooting a quick email, IM, or txt msg; checking feed updates, photos, social check-ins, maps.)

Of course, the problem as it is now is battery life. Frankly, I'd rather have a standard watch to tell time. Someone hit me up when the Omni tool gets invented.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones were not that smart. Give it some time and smart watches will replace your smartphone. Were not in the 90's anymore, technology evolves faster and faster and soon taking your phone out of your pocket will be considered as a waste of time.

Seems like you are already forgetting the terminologies.
Watch: Shows you what time it is.
Phone: a voice communication tool.
phones already replaced the watches.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you are already forgetting the terminologies.
Watch: Shows you what time it is.
Phone: a voice communication tool.
phones already replaced the watches.

Maybe because phones evolved and watches didn't? Only time will tell, but I'm pretty confident that smart watches will be popular.

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Having a smart watch is ridiculous my smart phone is just fine. I don't wear watches and don't plan to. A watch replacing our phones? Some phones screens are huge try having that attached to your wrist and let me know how that feels. Microsoft can stay away from it completely, I log that into the who cares category..

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Having a smart watch is ridiculous my smart phone is just fine. I don't wear watches and don't plan to. A watch replacing our phones? Some phones screens are huge try having that attached to your wrist and let me know how that feels. Microsoft can stay away from it completely, I log that into the who cares category..

I have never been to the future but having everything on your wrist and nothing else would be more practical than digging your pocket for a smartphone that wouldn't do much more.

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Most people enjoy larger screens on there phones. What you are saying is having smart watch on your arm not just your wrist is more practical? Unless the screen never breaks its completely impractical for me. The size, the weight and the distractions it would cause defeat any good it may have. I guess some would want 2 inch screens I however don't.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
been there, done that...another market/device where Microsoft entered years ago before anyone was ready: Time runs out on Microsoft's SPOT watches | Crave - CNET

But old-tech is not like wine, it doesn't get better with time. It doesn't count if you gave up and then change your mind because someone else succeeded where you failed... microsoft was late in the smartphone market, but they pratically invented the smartphone (not really, but you get the idea). Being late means that you didn't get mind share and it's twice as important as market share.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Most people enjoy larger screens on there phones. What you are saying is having smart watch on your arm not just your wrist is more practical? Unless the screen never breaks its completely impractical for me. The size, the weight and the distractions it would cause defeat any good it may have. I guess some would want 2 inch screens I however don't.

Assuming that a smart watch will be around 250$-300$ I feel like my 200$ leather watch from Fossil was a rip off. The only thing in it's favor is that the less high tech a product is, the longer it last.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'll stick with my fossil coz, I'm fu&%ing smart....

Smart watches have a practical use, so you wouldn't be stupid to buy it, but on the other hand you will have to change your watch more often.

But if I had enough money to follow the wave and buy a new smart watch every time I want to switch from a platform to another, I would buy one every year. 'Till then my Fossil is just fine too.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Buddy I don't have the money to pick up smart watches, phones, glasses every year. So I consciously turn away from the practical uses its got to offer...

Ron Penton

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I just don't see the appeal of a smartwatch. The interface will be far too small to provide anything with a truly groundbreaking functionality. I think this is simply Apple throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Smart watches have a practical use, so you wouldn't be stupid to buy it, but on the other hand you will have to change your watch more often.

But if I had enough money to follow the wave and buy a new smart watch every time I want to switch from a platform to another, I would buy one every year. 'Till then my Fossil is just fine too.

Assuming that you are talking about a watch sized device, and not something that covers your whole arm, how do you envision this device being used, and how will it replace the functions that require a larger screen?

A Google Glass type device makes more sense than a smart watch does.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that you are talking about a watch sized device, and not something that covers your whole arm, how do you envision this device being used, and how will it replace the functions that require a larger screen?

A Google Glass type device makes more sense than a smart watch does.

I believe the opposite. I don't like Google Glass, why would I want to constantly wear glasses? It's also very rough on your eyes to have a display that close to your eyes. I don't believe that a 2" watch will replace the smartphone, but I believe we'll see watches of different shapes and different features depending on it's capacities. Until we are able to have everything on our wrist.

The problem is that you see it too much as a watch and not enough as an all-in-one device. Samsung had a project which was a smart watch made with a bendable touch display that you could wrap around your wrist. If you take that approach rather than the traditional one, you open yourself to more possibilities. With that kind of approach you can create a more complete device without limiting yourself to a 2" display.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb