Smart watches are the next trending devices and microsoft will be late to the party.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Brain tumors everywhere.

Really? If they come up with a way to hardwire a piece of hardware into the brain, I would hope we have already cured brain cancer.

The watch better have a quick disconnect. I see lots of people plugging their wrist into their computer while working and inadvertently ripping their computer off their desk when they jump up to grab something off the printer. Right now my phone just sits there while I run to the other room because its not attached to my wrist.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It'll also look even worse to see people talking to their watches in the grocery store. The people who walk around with Bluetooth earpieces and talk in the grocery store already look terrible. I'm glad I don't know them and wouldn't want to be associated with them.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Really? If they come up with a way to hardwire a piece of hardware into the brain, I would hope we have already cured brain cancer.

The watch better have a quick disconnect. I see lots of people plugging their wrist into their computer while working and inadvertently ripping their computer off their desk when they jump up to grab something off the printer. Right now my phone just sits there while I run to the other room because its not attached to my wrist.

I assume someone would take off the watch before he/she plug it in a computer.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I just don't think smart watches will really take off... Just a tired extension of your phone.

More and more people forgo even wearing watches now. I love yo wear a watch, nice ones at that, but I still leave them at home most of the time.

I think it will be a quick fad... Now, for a smart watch that is designed to be used in certain circumstances like a gps watch for training is a little better.

i think one day phones will be replaced by watches, there will be a touch screen, most of the interaction will be by voice commands. Battery life will be the bottleneck, it is difficult to put a bigger battery in a watch, cant increase the size just like they are doing with phones now.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It'll also look even worse to see people talking to their watches in the grocery store. The people who walk around with Bluetooth earpieces and talk in the grocery store already look terrible. I'm glad I don't know them and wouldn't want to be associated with them.

I don't think Bluetooth earpieces will disappear, if anything it could eventually be in a Google glass-like device. When technology will be more present in our live and we wouldn't feel awkward to talk to someone who's always wearing a little camera/computer/whatever it will be. But I don't think you will see anyone talking to their watch except if it has a virtual assistant in it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Bluetooth earpieces will disappear, if anything it could eventually be in a Google glass-like device. When technology will be more present in our live and we wouldn't feel awkward to talk to someone who's always wearing a little camera/computer/whatever it will be. But I don't think you will see anyone talking to their watch except if it has a virtual assistant in it.
The problem is the rudeness factor. People tend to speak softly if they're just talking to themselves, but they speak loudly while wearing Bluetooth earpieces. Nobody else needs to hear the private conversation.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
i think one day phones will be replaced by watches, there will be a touch screen, most of the interaction will be by voice commands. Battery life will be the bottleneck, it is difficult to put a bigger battery in a watch, cant increase the size just like they are doing with phones now.

If you make it a 3" - 3.5" rectangular display, then you can make a solid product with decent battery life.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the rudeness factor. People tend to speak softly if they're just talking to themselves, but they speak loudly while wearing Bluetooth earpieces. Nobody else needs to hear the private conversation.

Well, people speak just as loud when they are on the phone. No? I never really paid attention to that.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In two years, we'll look back at this thread and laugh... either because wearables died on the vine, or because everyone here will have one. I'm going with the latter - it seems like one of those things that a lot of people won't understand until they try it, or a killer app is written for it, and then all of a sudden we'll wonder how we lived without it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, people speak just as loud when they are on the phone. No? I never really paid attention to that.

I've seen much more texting than talking lately. The talkers tend to be the ones wearing the Bluetooth earpieces. Those without Bluetooth earpiece usually text and are not loud or annoying.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've seen much more texting than talking lately. The talkers tend to be the ones wearing the Bluetooth earpieces. Those without Bluetooth earpiece usually text and are not loud or annoying.

I've seen a lot of iPhone users talk to Siri in public but most people send SMS or type what they are looking for on Google or Bing.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I only use voice commands when I'm in the shower, shouting from a pool, driving (with Bluetooth), or when I'm snowboarding (so I don't have to take my gloves off)

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for an assistant that controls my house and follows me everywhere. Microsoft talked about this and added that soon the assistant will always be turned on to help you when it understands that you need assistance. The assistant could give you personalized advices and more. Technology can never go fast enough.
steve-ballmer-o.gif
I want that.

Last edited:

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

You would need a chip to transmit and receive data through micro waves... studies have mixed results, some say micro waves do not affect the brain, others say it kills neurons. But I'm not putting anything inside my brain until there's a solid 10 years of human testing.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting Google glass, an iWatch, and one of those robot women the Japanese are working on and disabling the voice.

Just kidding ladies! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
not something I would be interested in (I always have my phone in hand anyway BUT this is exactly the stuff Gates and ballmer complained about only a few months back.

" the pace of his company?s innovation wasn?t fast enough and that he and current CEO Steve Ballmer were ?not satisfied? with how quickly the company was getting out ahead of trends"

http://bgr.com/2013/02/18/bill-gates-microsoft-criticism-330516/

Peter Boev

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
You're missing the point. Look at current products like the Pebble smartwatch, MotoACTV and that one Sony released. I've tried all these products and I find it very convenient to be able to see notifications, change tracks and check my calendar without having to take my phone out of my jeans pocket (which can be tough if I'm sitting down or have my hands full). I wouldn't even need to see entire emails or texts - just the SMS sender or email header is enough for me to decide if its something I want to read immediately or if it can wait for later. I would pay at least $150 for this utility, and I value functionality over form, so I don't much care how it looks. Besides, I've always worn digital watches anyway.

Excuse me, isn?t this a tread about ?smartphones moving on to our wrists?? You?re describing future watches as accesories and not full fledged replacement devices, which is quite different and very much possible, but far from the idea of the original poster.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Quartz watches now Smart watches. Yes it will be a huge business and no it will not reshape the watch industry. Fact is, anyone who has the money wears a Swiss Automatic. However the Smart watches will put the Swatch under pressure, so I expect someone to be smart enough (MS, Google or Apple) to actually work with the Swatch group... Don't forget, watches are also a styling statement and watches enjoy wide spread distribution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720