Smart watches are the next trending devices and microsoft will be late to the party.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
What? Smart watches are a terrible, terrible idea. Who would think of that? Who would think that's a useful thing?

apple just planted the idea to throw everyone off the scent of what is really next. ;-)

some companies will still try to make one though, crazy.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Excuse me, isn?t this a tread about ?smartphones moving on to our wrists?? You?re describing future watches as accesories and not full fledged replacement devices, which is quite different and very much possible, but far from the idea of the original poster.

OP talks about various press releases from Samsung et al., which discuss accessory-type devices (see that the articles talking about these press releases all mention Bluetooth 4.0 which majorly reduces power consumption). Thus, it is a logical deduction that they need to stay connected to a smartphone to be "smart" watches - I would guess that they revert to being normal watches when out of BT range.

I agree that a watch as a complete replacement for a smartphone would be a terrible, terrible idea.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
OP talks about various press releases from Samsung et al., which discuss accessory-type devices (see that the articles talking about these press releases all mention Bluetooth 4.0 which majorly reduces power consumption). Thus, it is a logical deduction that they need to stay connected to a smartphone to be "smart" watches - I would guess that they revert to being normal watches when out of BT range.

I agree that a watch as a complete replacement for a smartphone would be a terrible, terrible idea.

if they were to present a PhoneWatch tomorrow I wouldn't buy it. but that being said, I am not the only one who think phones will migrate to the wrist. I could be totally wrong and many analysts are probably wrong too, but it's a not a terrible idea if its done right.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
if they were to present a PhoneWatch tomorrow I wouldn't buy it. but that being said, I am not the only one who think phones will migrate to the wrist. I could be totally wrong and many analysts are probably wrong too, but it's a not a terrible idea if its done right.

It's a great idea, and I am sure that somewhere, someone is working on it, but as of now, it is physically impossible to shoehorn all of the functionalities of a device that is commonly referred to as a smartphone, into a device the size of that which is is commonly referred to as a watch.

Now, if you want to say that there will some day be a device that is worn on your wrist, and somehow works in conjunction with other wireless devices, well, that is more plausible. And a device that is a watch, yet can still make calls, is not really a smart watch.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It's a great idea, and I am sure that somewhere, someone is working on it, but as of now, it is physically impossible to shoehorn all of the functionalities of a device that is commonly referred to as a smartphone, into a device the size of that which is is commonly referred to as a watch.

Now, if you want to say that there will some day be a device that is worn on your wrist, and somehow works in conjunction with other wireless devices, well, that is more plausible. And a device that is a watch, yet can still make calls, is not really a smart watch.

It is basically because the forearm I a smart place to put an all-in-one device. With the nanotechnology we are not far from having our PC/smartphone/watch/gaming console/whatever else, constantly on us. The problem with the google glass is the proximity with the eyes and the fact that its always in the way. A device on the arm where you would normally put your watch on would not be in the way and would not damage your vision.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
We're still quite a few years away.

I could see a watch that could replace something like an iPod.

The screen size is very limiting though.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
We're still quite a few years away.

I could see a watch that could replace something like an iPod.

The screen size is very limiting though.

why? You could easily fit a 4" screen on your forearm. And let's not forget that bendable glass is already possible, so later on we could simply wrap the device around our wrist like a thick and large bandage to make it fit the size of your arm.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
why? You could easily fit a 4" screen on your forearm. And let's not forget that bendable glass is already possible, so later on we could simply wrap the device around our wrist like a thick and large bandage to make it fit the size of your arm.

You're talking about two different things. Heck, you can fabricate a case/band and wear your phone on your arm right now if you want, but saying "watch" denotes something the size of a watch, which is not large.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Kind of like having a PIP Boy...
I want a fully functioning PIP Boy, but I don't think there is really a market for it and it would be too big for casual attire.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You're talking about two different things. Heck, you can fabricate a case/band and wear your phone on your arm right now if you want, but saying "watch" denotes something the size of a watch, which is not large.

Why putting limitations? Of course it will be dumb compared to a smartphone at first, but as time will pass all of our devices won't even look the way they used to and the smart watch could be become more than a notification hub.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
But still if you can afford it and don't plan to switch to another platform anytime soon then why not? It has nice functionalities and will probably be fashionable.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

People wear shirts. Some with long sleeves.

And you mention bendable screens... fine. But we may not be seeing good quality bendable thin screens for a few years. At least not practical enough to wrap around a forearm and whip out when needed.

MS still has time before having to worry about producing an actual watch.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Apple will do it first, beat competition then Google with cheap Android devices will beat it but it will take a while and then MS will be late to the part but will gaing marketshare really slow...

Same old Story as Phones and Tablets, although Tablets is anybody?s game, well Ipad dominates but the rest sell like **** lol

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what planet you guys live on but I had a Microsoft Smart Watch 10 years ago. It had stocks, weather and news headlines. Connect it to the computer and download new watch faces.

Microsoft killed it. I remember having to pay a subscription fee for it.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Don't know what planet you guys live on but I had a Microsoft Smart Watch 10 years ago. It had stocks, weather and news headlines. Connect it to the computer and download new watch faces.

Microsoft killed it. I remember having to pay a subscription fee for it.
I remember that!

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
From the sounds of, it's just another thing you have to charge constantly....

I haven't worn a watch in god knows how long, If I wanted to check a text or a facebook post I'd rather look at my phone where at least the screen is a reasonable size!

Mind you, put an apple logo on the back of a paper bag and hundreds of thousands will queue to buy one, this will be no different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo