Should I buy a WP8.5 this year, or wait til WP9 next?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I am on T-Mobile as well, but on the monthly 4G program. I currently have the HTC HD7 updated to 7.8 via sinlessearth's instructions here on this site. I am very happy with my phone, but am jealously eyeing the Lumina 810. With the new no contract program on T-Mobile, the monthly price is decent and they are actually selling the 810 about $100 dollars less than before, or through Microsoft.

Given what is hear is that WP 8 devices will be able to be updated to whatever is coming next, there is not much of a decision for me. In the short time I am not aware of new technology that will be a "game changer" so I expect new phones to be an incremental change or an aesthetic change. Given that, one can either always wait for something new to pique their interest, or simply go with what is available at the time. I am tending to think I will in fact go with the Lumina 810 within the next couple of months.

The 810 is sneaky good. I'm a proud owner of one and while it doesn't have the OIS of the 920 or is as versatile as the 8X, it is a joy to use. Otherwise, Nokia updates stuff all the time and the cyan wireless charging plate is gorgeous but makes the phone a little thicker.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I'm liking alot of the responses here. And it looks like I will upgrade later this year, to like 8.5, or whatever.

But, philosophically, I'm still very interested in this tick-tock question I have. If you had the choice about when you could upgrade: Would you rather be on the Tick or the Tock? (The Revolutionary part of a sequence, or the revisionist?)

Or does WP not really function like that, and it simply gets incrementally better every year? ~ SkyDrive and Outlook seem to improve every couple of months. But Internet Explorer gets engineered for a full year for some significant progress. ~ :)

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I'm liking alot of the responses here. And it looks like I will upgrade later this year, to like 8.5, or whatever.

But, philosophically, I'm still very interested in this tick-tock question I have. If you had the choice about when you could upgrade: Would you rather be on the Tick or the Tock? (The Revolutionary part of a sequence, or the revisionist?)

Or does WP not really function like that, and it simply gets incrementally better every year? ~ SkyDrive and Outlook seem to improve every couple of months. But Internet Explorer gets engineered for a full year for some significant progress. ~ :)

Honestly, i wouldn't use the WP7 experience as a true benchmark too much. If MSFT handles its business and updates the OS, the choice WP users would have is based on the hardware each OEM offers that best floats your boat. Especially since MSFT has,said WP8's lifecycle is 18 months, but the WP8 compatible hardware will receive WP8 and WP Blue.
It is a matter of preference...some like to jump in at the beginning, others wait until the platform matures a bit more...

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I like how your story's like mine. Uhm. Well Sprint did confirm to get on Windows phone.I'm wondering thoug, about their actual plans, about that ATIV S, and HTC Tiara. ~ So, come the 8.5 Microsoft launch, Sprint might not get on that bandwagon so earnestly, but stick with the ATIV S. Very interesting..
Sprint stated that the release will be upgradable to Blue in their announcement back in January. That was another reason I was interested...knowing my phone would stay relevant with the upcoming updates.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It depends if you are buying the phone for your self or to show off. Buy Wp8 if you want a new experience that is improving rapidly , wait for wp9 if ur not financially secured enough to update your phone every year.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I can understand and relate to that, but many buyers aren't able to upgrade so easily. The OP is really is a win-win on T-Mobile...becuae there are no contracts he can wait and get a WP8 Gen2 or get very good Gen1 hardware. With the OS evolving, he cannot lose either way...

You make a very valid point. That does put the OP in a win win situation.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It depends if you are buying the phone for your self or to show off. Buy Wp8 if you want a new experience that is improving rapidly , wait for wp9 if ur not financially secured enough to update your phone every year.

While i get where you're coming from, remember he is on T-Mobile so the contract isn't as big of a hindrance. That is HUGE for people who cannot upgrade annually. Plus, with MSFT stating all WP8 hardware will get the Blue update (if they stick with this, and they should), the OP doesn't have to wait completely until Blue drops. I think hardware like the 920 will be even better buys when Nokia puts out stuff this fall.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd grab a new Blackberry Z10 or wait for the next WP. I'm loving my 920, although I wish it were a tad smaller.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd grab a new Blackberry Z10 or wait for the next WP. I'm loving my 920, although I wish it were a tad smaller.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Unless you're a die hard blackberry fan, from the app perspective, one can make the same argument for BB10 as for WP8: it is in its infancy. Hardware wise, the Z10 isn't impressive at all. I'd make the same case to wait until the fall to let BB10 mature more and see if RIM can put out a flagship device. The Z 10 has a mid range feel to it. To each his own though...

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would wait, not for the next OS which should be out around fall, but for the next round of devices. This last round, all the new phones came out around fall time, october-november, so I wold wait because nokia will probably announce a new lumia in the late summer along with possibly HTC and samsung releasing phones around the same time. And the big thing is you don't know what new hardware specs are going to be, the next round of windows phones could have huge screens and higher resolution, etc. I would wait for the hardware. With reguards to the software though: MS can't make the same mistake this year and not let WP8 users upgrade to WP9, people would probably jump ship if they did it two years in a row lol. I'm a WP7 user and my phone has WP7.8, but My bro has a lumia 920 with WP8 and I'm definitely missing out on some good apps that he can get...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It seems you have the money for a new device, so switch when 7.x starts to annoy you, or if you find a great deal. Those two reasons are essentially bulletproof in justifying the purchase.

I'd wait till 9, there are a few (probably fake) roumors WP8 wont upgrade to WP9.5/10. Probably false, but be cautious.
You're going to wait 18 months to buy a phone because it will likely support a release 42 months away? Mind = blown.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It seems you have the money for a new device, so switch when 7.x starts to annoy you, or if you find a great deal. Those two reasons are essentially bulletproof.

^ This. Based on where WP8 is after its launch in November, it is still a bit hard to ask 7.8 users to upgrade. I think once we get into the fall though, it will become an easier move.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would wait. I'm watching for the sidelines right now for two things to happen:

1. iOS 7's new designer to impress me with a redesigned UI and getting with 2013 for features
2. WP8 to remedy most of the most commonly complained about issues listed in the thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/210477-official-what-wp-needs-succeed.html

If either of those happens I'll get on board with one or the other. If not, I stay in the Nexus world.

Mr Sweden

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
With wp8 I can't post videos. Which is very easy with iPhone.
Wp8 music player has no handle to forward or rewind music - strange.
FTP apps not free, as with iPhone.
Skydrive and google drive apps can't be logged out from. Lending my wp8 gives others access to 35 GB of personal files. The apps must be uninstalled to avoid access from others.
Bank app is missing.
Using viber for Internet calls makes phone very hot, and the battery is low in no time.
There is no chance to easily check the battery level. Suddenly a lo bat alarm surprises.
Apples approval of apps is good, all is working well..
The office suite is not at all with full functionality, not much more than android and iPhone can do.
The soft keyboard does not stretch along the full width of the screen, and very little is left of the screen to see when the kb is up. Why not stretch the keyboard along the full screen and make it lower?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss