Best Buy Representation of Microsoft Horrible?

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering about this for a long time (since before I signed up to this forum) and I wonder if anyone else had noticed as well.

Whenever I walk into a Best Buy, I notice that the Apple displays are perfect (connected to wifi, perfectly working, etc.) but the windows phones and windows 8 devices are in shambles. The screens/keyboards don't work, they aren't connected to wifi, and some phones aren't even real; they're just plastic shells of the actual phone. I've seen this in all Best Buys in my town, and even in stores in other cities.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I alone?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend that works for Best Buy and he will admit that he and the other salesmen have a bias against Microsoft and don't do much to support him. I asked him just what was so bad about Surface and the WP, and all he could say was that they aren't any good because the guys at the store told him. Explained to him many things about both, showed him what I could do with mine. He changed his tune a little and said he even sold a Surface to a couple because it fit what they needed. But admitted that none of the other salesmen have no intention of changing.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy is a mess in general these days. In the past I would enjoy going in there to browse around at the latest gadgets but these days they barely have any good things in stock and the employees are all pretty much socializing amongst themselves.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Apple has a partnership with Best Buy, which ensures its products will receive top notch promotion. The Windows OEMs do not. The Windows OEMs/Microsoft would need to pay Best Buy to get the treatment Apple products get. Apple is paying for the perks it gets.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I still shop at Best Buy for a lot of purchases. I like that they price match and I get rewardzone points for purchases. I've bought many little things that I probably wouldn't have if I didn't have the reward coupons. I wouldn't buy a phone from them. But if it's something that I've researched on and can get the cheapest or price match there, I'll get it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I still shop at Best Buy for a lot of purchases. I like that they price match and I get rewardzone points for purchases. I've bought many little things that I probably wouldn't have if I didn't have the reward coupons. I wouldn't buy a phone from them. But if it's something that I've researched on and can get the cheapest or price match there, I'll get it.
I definitely "showroom" at Best Buy. I'll look at an item there and buy it from amazon.com.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Apple has a partnership with Best Buy, which ensures its products will receive top notch promotion. The Windows OEMs do not. The Windows OEMs/Microsoft would need to pay Best Buy to get the treatment Apple products get. Apple is paying for the perks it gets.

Yep...when I was repping at BB, they were more love dovey with the Apple rep than with anyone else

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not just seeing things! I always knew Best Buy was Biased Buy ever since the iPhone hit it big.

Maybe the new Microsoft stores are an attempt to sale devices customers without a bunch lying tongues defacing their names. :/

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The Best Buy in my area has a horrible cell phone setup. Most of the phones are dummy phones and it's a very small area. They stay pretty busy though.

bigpulve

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Its not just computers. My moms boyfriend used to be a rep at jvc, and he has a million stories about how bad best buy is. They have a pay to display thing. The big paying names would get special treatment.

kassdog

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Companies pay best buy for floor space which in turn gets the employees knowledge about the products more. Only one to blame here is Microsoft for the lack of floor space. And if you think its bad now wait til samung opens thier mini stores in best buy.

Ferrarifan123

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
...This is likely the reason why Microsoft is opening it's own stores. Everywhere else, their products are neglected and shown in a rather negative light.

I hope Microsoft can open more stores at a faster pace...

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Companies pay best buy for floor space which in turn gets the employees knowledge about the products more. Only one to blame here is Microsoft for the lack of floor space. And if you think its bad now wait til samung opens thier mini stores in best buy.
Yeap, this is how Best Buy works... If Monster Cable are willing to pay extra $$$ to them - BestBuy will gladly train their personnel to "pay more attention" to these severely overpriced cables, if Bose wants to do the same - BestBuy will gladly focus more on specifically promoting these overpriced plasticky things with "unnatural" frequency response to general uneducated customers ;-) BestBuy was always like this. If Microsoft actually cared about selling their mobile products - they could easily do the same and BestBuy would gladly pay more attention to Microsoft's mobile displays.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was amazed to walk into best buy yesterday and see the new black berry front and center. Very good. Usually Apple or android. I have noticed for the last 3 years a definite bias against certain products. Its who pays the bills. If you do alot of marketing with a network they talk good about your product. The apple computer area at BB looks like a haven and the rest of the computer/ tablet area looks my 2 year olds room. Still 90% of everything there is running W8.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
yeah its the same at my best buy as well, apple looks like the saviors of computers and windows 8 looks like castle greyskull.

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the difference is Apple has people who go into the stores to setup the displays.

I'd pretty much guarantee you that is what is happening. There's no way the Best Buy staff has the expertise to set these displays up themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb