The Speech (just need to get this out for once..)

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

The 'thing' about Windows Phone, which many do not seem to get, is that it allows you to bring ANYTHING you like/use/need to the phone wherever you are. You do not NEED to choose which music you bring along and you can show ANY photo album you have stored whenever you like. If you are on the other side of the world and your phone get's lost or stolen you get a new Windows Phone and it instantly gets back ALL your content, no matter where it is stored without the need for a cable or access to your home PC. It is not a glorified App launcher but a balanced deeply integrated OS which brings the/your world to you while most others require you to reach out to the/your world. This is a concept so many people do not get and yes, I would blame MSFT (and in part Nokia) for not being able to communicate this properly..

Windows Phone is an extremely Internet centric OS and IMO this is excellent and very convenient in the way I like to work with my phone/mobile device. Obviously this comes with a prerequisite for a data allowance to suite this behaviour and/or frequent access to Wi-Fi hotspots. I get unlimited data for ?20/mo so for me this is no issue. I understand fully that this may not be what other people want/expect/like but it is how it is. Windows Phone is very clearly advertised and marketed as such and if that is not what you want get something that you do want. I know and see many shop employees are clueless to this and either can't or won't properly sell Windows Phone as such which is a shame. It is fairly obvious however that the future will be more like how Windows Phone currently works.

My point here would be that if you do not like how Windows Phone works you switch. Continuously complaining about how stuff works different on other platforms will not change anything, WP will not go back or become like other mobile OS devices. In fact you may mark my words you will see other brands move more towards how WP is working in the not so distant future.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Except Apple. There is a $100 price difference between 16GB, 32GB and 64GB iPhone models, when the true cost difference to them is less then $5 between models. Apple has cleverly duped entire countries into believing that this is sane pricing policy, and it has become Apple's own personal gold mine. As a result, Apple has absolutely no incentive to deemphasize local media storage and become cloud based. For Apple this ain't happening.

For everyone else, yes, agree.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
if you do not like how Windows Phone works you switch. Continuously complaining about how stuff works different on other platforms will not change anything,

well said, i also like the fact that we are all lab rats using this device ( lunia 820 for me )windows & nokia are using our feedback to developthis device.
If you want a mobile phone you buy iphone/ adroid, if you want experimental technology where you sometimes have to think about how the device will work best for you then you go for windows phone.
I love waking every morning to see whats new on this exciting platform of ours, it also gives me a buzz as i know no one else with a windows phone i feel like im in a secret society.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
@a5cent

Besides Apple moving everything to iCloud and continuing to do so, basically affirming my prediction in the process, you are saying that the cost of adding 16GB is $5 and the cost of adding another 32GB is another $5 for Apple? I'd agree Apple charging $100 for the extra 16GB and then another $100 for an extra 32GB, with a 64GB SD card doing around $55 at retail, is close to extortion if you ask me. But I doubt the cost to apple would be $5.

That said, this does actually substantiate my point. Windows Phone goes about things differently and by doing so it actually is able to get by perfectly fine with lesser amounts of basically anything to do the same.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Continuously complaining about how stuff works different on other platforms will not change anything, WP will not go back or become like other mobile OS devices.
This is only a valid rebuttal to some criticism. You're making it out as if Windows Phone works perfectly for what it is meant for, and that's simply not true. There are many brain-dead problems or omissions, not only in general, but specifically with online capabilities and connectivity. A few off the top of my head:

• Only a portion of devices have the Portico update with persistent WiFi, and only a portion of those actually have it turned on (the option is opt-in and tucked away in the Settings app).
  • No option to back up application data. iCloud key-value storage, please.
  • Core Data sync may be a mess, but at least Apple is working on sync of app data to the cloud (at no cost to the developer).
  • There are 1001 reasons why Xbox Music sucks.
  • Where's Xbox Video?
  • Lacking background agents prevent majority of apps from performing desired background sync / download tasks.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
you are saying that the cost of adding 16GB is $5 and the cost of adding another 32GB is another $5 for Apple? I'd agree Apple charging $100 for the extra 16GB and then another $100 for an extra 32GB, with a 64GB SD card doing around $55 at retail, is close to extortion if you ask me. But I doubt the cost to apple would be $5.

Yes, but Apple doesn't purchase their NAND at Best Buy. Nobody but Apple knows exactly what they pay for 16GB of NAND, but $9 is the highest anyone is estimating. Most estimates are much lower. This article mentions $0.42 per GB. That amounts to $6.70 per 16GB, which represents a good market price. However, Apple is infamous for the squeeze they put on their supply chain (the volumes they deal in give them incredible leverage), which is why I estimated $5. Even if we take a middle of the road estimate of $7 per 16GB, it's still extortion.

Besides Apple moving everything to iCloud and continuing to do so, basically affirming my prediction in the process.

Okay, you got me. I'm not as up to date on iOS as I should be. Apparently iCloud recently enabled media streaming (had to go look it up). Up until then iCloud was just a synching service. It allowed iOwners to synchronize their media files across Apple's devices, but downloaded the files to each device regardless. That has changed.

Still, if streaming via iCloud becomes popular, it will cut into their profits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes