Why the death of Windows is exaggerated.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
People are talking alot lately about Windows dying and Linux taking over etc etc all this dumb stuff. I have a few reasons why these are exaggerated and probably will never happen.
1. Even though Android devices sell alot, Microsoft is actually making more than some of the OEMS! So the more android sells, the more money MS has to fund Windows.
2. WP offers the best experience at the medium and low end- If you've ever used a non high end Android device, you'll know what I am talking about. It's embarrassing how slow the phones are, not to mention they runs many apps poorly.
3. Linux has no standard- Linux has thousands of distros... Most with simple issues Widnwos solved a long time ago.
4. No one cares about open source.- they just want what works.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Please, every year is the year of Linux and it hasn't happened yet....
while I do like Ubuntu for example, could you imagine a normal person using Linux? I mean if they complain this much about windows 8 being different then they are in for a world of fun with Linux lol. I can hear it now..."wheres my Microsoft office...?" "why wont this .exe file run on my computer, why can't I get my TurboTax to run...wine is not an emulator...so what does it do?" ah...fun times indeed...

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been hearing that for years but nothing happens. And I've tried to use Ubuntu a few months but couldn't do it anymore because it's slow like a turtle and it's rip-off of mac os.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Please, every year is the year of Linux and it hasn't happened yet....
while I do like Ubuntu for example, could you imagine a normal person using Linux? I mean if they complain this much about windows 8 being different then they are in for a world of fun with Linux lol. I can hear it now..."wheres my Microsoft office...?" "why wont this .exe file run on my computer, why can't I get my TurboTax to run...wine is not an emulator...so what does it do?" ah...fun times indeed...
"Why won't my printer work?" "Where's the printer drivers?" "What's an LPR and cupswrapper driver, and why do I need to install the LPR driver first?"

$ sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart "Huh?"

I do use Linux, but I would not recommend it for someone who is not tech-savvy.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah reminds of when I tried to install an old wireless card on my old laptop with Fedora running on it. Took me longer than I expected. I had to do research just to do it.

The main complaint I seem to see about Windows 8 seems to be with the Start screen and how some of the commands have been moved around. The way I see it, the start screen is essentially that start button laid out for the user. To me it seems to take less time to navigate compared to the clicks required in the start menu. With regards to some of the commands, isn't it just a case of adjusting to the learning curve of the OS. Surely a user has gone through this process when they first learned how to use the Windows OS. Now I haven't used Win8 yet (waiting on some of the future hardware) so can't really say too much, but this is just my observation.

I think the way Microsoft is integrating its services in Win8 makes the overall user experience more seamless.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been hearing that for years but nothing happens. And I've tried to use Ubuntu a few months but couldn't do it anymore because it's slow like a turtle and it's rip-off of mac os.
As a mac and windows user, (Using ubuntu once, and mint) ubuntu is the crappiest peice of software I've ever used. I don't think Linux developers know what a "Great GUI" Means.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
"Why won't my printer work?" "Where's the printer drivers?" "What's an LPR and cupswrapper driver, and why do I need to install the LPR driver first?"

$ sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart "Huh?"

I do use Linux, but I would not recommend it for someone who is not tech-savvy.

Linux isn't bad for maybe some embedded devices, And my android phone is ok, but linux on desktop? That's for servers.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Linux is a great OS because its (depending on distro), fast and stable. This is especially why I love unix. I still wouldn't call either of them user friendly though, even though they are great and have their purposes like servers and for techies, etc...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm convinced that the apparent struggles of Windows 8 PCs is tied to two reasons:
1) Older PCs are still viable so there's not much incentive to rush to replace them.
2) The economy is still struggling leaving people disinclined to splurge on big expenses. What money is being spent on gadgets is directed at smartphones and tablets.

This is reinforced by the fact that Apple has also seen a marked decline in sales, particular of Macs.

That said, I would have liked a stronger showing from Windows Phone. I think Microsoft is dropping the ball there to some extent. After a handful of notable releases, there hasn't been much of anything in the way of games for Windows Phone. That's a concern.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
4. No one cares about open source.- they just want what works.

What does open source really means to the general public. Nothing, absolutely nothing and yet the praise it so much.

I came across a customer yesterday that boosted that his Note 2 was the best thing in the world and I asked him why, because it was open sourced. Did that mean anything to him no =)

Enjoy liiiiiiifeeee

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
its so funny to me when people say that android and google are open source...it makes me laugh....and laugh...and laugh...ah good times....
no seriously, only PARTS of Android are open source and for example, google about to switch chrome to the *proprietary* blink rendering engine, is why they are not an open source company. The fact is open source doesn't make money and I don't like open source because IMHO as many good things as it does, it does equally bad things like stealing other peoples' ideas and then open sourcing them for free...kinda a **** move if you ask me...

Also, as much as I like ubuntu and canononical, theres a reason apple, ms, google, amazon are all the largest tech companies and not canononicle, oracle, etc...
Not trying to say they aren't good companies but theres a reason apple rakes in the dough for example....

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ open source is a very good thing, but usually incomprehensible to anyone outside the software industry. Most consumers like the idea because they've heard open source software is free, which is how the association with Google developed, as their software usually is free, but this is really just a misunderstanding, because the goal of open source software was never to be free, as in free beer, but to be free, as in free speech. The idea is that owning the rights to use software should imply you also have the rights to modify that software at the source code level, hence open source.

BTW: Oracle is a much larger company than Amazon. About the same size as Google. Oracle is the third largest software company behind MS and IBM.

Apple's success has nothing to do with being pro- or anti open source (OSX is also based on Unix BTW). They were just lucky to be at the right place at the right time with the right product. Without the iPhone they would still be almost irrelevant.

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm convinced that the apparent struggles of Windows 8 PCs is tied to two reasons:
1) Older PCs are still viable so there's not much incentive to rush to replace them.
2) The economy is still struggling leaving people disinclined to splurge on big expenses. What money is being spent on gadgets is directed at smartphones and tablets.

i agree with both points.

I build my own PCs and PCs for friends if they ask me and I remember in the past my PCs would feel outdated after a couple of years even if I built them with top of the line parts. New software, games and media would make them slowdown plus there would be new hardware improvements much better than the previous generation.

These days I don't really feel the need to upgrade so often since my PC is still running really fast. CPU speeds aren't increasing as much as they used to and now they usually just add cores or cache. Things like RAM and storage also aren't going through big leaps at the moment (aside from the shift from HDD to SSD) Video cards seem to improve the most these days but even older ones can play most games.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
its so funny to me when people say that android and google are open source...it makes me laugh....and laugh...and laugh...ah good times....
no seriously, only PARTS of Android are open source and for example, google about to switch chrome to the *proprietary* blink rendering engine, is why they are not an open source company. The fact is open source doesn't make money and I don't like open source because IMHO as many good things as it does, it does equally bad things like stealing other peoples' ideas and then open sourcing them for free...kinda a **** move if you ask me...

Also, as much as I like ubuntu and canononical, theres a reason apple, ms, google, amazon are all the largest tech companies and not canononicle, oracle, etc...
Not trying to say they aren't good companies but theres a reason apple rakes in the dough for example....

Android is open-source, just not open-developed. In that new versions' source code is developed behind closed doors and released after launch. As for Blink, Google has committed to maintain its open nature as it is now with Chromium.

And, you *****, how is open-source software STEALING other people's ideas? The programmers who write the code know exactly what they're doing, they are happy to have their knowledge out there in the public domain. And without open-source we wouldn't have UNIX and therefore Linux, one of the most important developments in the history of computing. Just because it doesn't bring MS money...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Android is open-source, just not open-developed. In that new versions' source code is developed behind closed doors and released after launch. As for Blink, Google has committed to maintain its open nature as it is now with Chromium.

And, you *****, how is open-source software STEALING other people's ideas? The programmers who write the code know exactly what they're doing, they are happy to have their knowledge out there in the public domain. And without open-source we wouldn't have UNIX and therefore Linux, one of the most important developments in the history of computing. Just because it doesn't bring MS money...
UNIX is not open-source, it is proprietary and created by AT&T, which later divested it to Bell Labs. MINIX was UNIX-based and originally inexpensive, but only available in education (it did not become free until 2005). Linux was created by Linus Torvalds as a way to expand beyond proprietary and educational institution only.

Not all Linux distros are free. Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise are commercial products. Fedora and openSUSE are the free variants of those distros.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
open office, gimp, inkscape to name a few...not saying they're bad programs and also not saying that ALL open source programs steal things, but many of them do. There are genuinely good open source programs out there and open-source oses like open suse, fedora, etc. UNIX especially and many linux distros along with the new ubuntu tablet/phone oses imho are great things that happen with open source, but also there are time when they just steal other peoples programs, like open office did, just to prove a point. Also, you don't have to use starred-profanity and name calling to make a point, it makes you look bad and demeans the points which you are trying to make fyi..ag1986

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
btw, I do apologize for my ignorance on oracle as I didn't realize that they were the 3rd largest tech company in the world so that made me look stupid, I do like there products though, I'm still not a huge fan of java however...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99