Why the death of Windows is exaggerated.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
LibreOffice and OpenOffice did not steal from MS Office. They have their origins in StarOffice, which was proprietary but later open-sourced. Since StarOffice was developed in 1984, it is older than MS Office.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
People are talking alot lately about Windows dying and Linux taking over etc etc all this dumb stuff. I have a few reasons why these are exaggerated and probably will never happen.
1. Even though Android devices sell alot, Microsoft is actually making more than some of the OEMS! So the more android sells, the more money MS has to fund Windows.
2. WP offers the best experience at the medium and low end- If you've ever used a non high end Android device, you'll know what I am talking about. It's embarrassing how slow the phones are, not to mention they runs many apps poorly.
3. Linux has no standard- Linux has thousands of distros... Most with simple issues Widnwos solved a long time ago.
4. No one cares about open source.- they just want what works.

its xp-syndrome: this is good enough to do what I need.

the death of windows is self inflicted.

as far as mobile goes, it needs another 5 years to cycle in the next dominate mobile os. android now, maybe ios next, or whoever has third currently.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
24th of august 1995 was the first time I heard about Windows dieing. Microsoft had made a terrible mess of the User Experience and changed everything. Nobody would be able to understand how the new User Interface was supposed to work and wouldn't be able to find any programs anymore.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I dislike when someone throws around the words "open source" in a way meant to convey that it automatically means "better in every way, shape, and form".

I can understand sales of Windows desktop OS slowing down because the "average joe" computer user who simply uses their computer for the internet doens't need to get a new computer every x-number of years in order to meet their needs, and can now do all that stuff on their phone or tablet. I'm not a "simple user", and I'm 4 months shy of having a 10 year run out of my WinXP machine. It was top of the line in 2003, and has done everything I need from it other than editing HD video (which is brutal). I'm hoping to set aside money for a new cutting edge Win8 machine this summer.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think people are saying Windows is dying to desktop Linux, but that it's losing its relevance and dominance to simpler mobile platforms. And that is true – the iPad can accomplish most, if not all of the computing requirements of the average PC user, and that switch happens to many daily. However, it's also a problem that Microsoft is actively trying to address with Windows 8. The broken comparison I find is when mobile platforms are combined into category against Windows and those figures used to prove that Windows is dying. If you consider Windows to be a platform like iOS and Android, which it is, then it's not doing that bad at all. Microsoft doesn't need to have 95% market share in order to succeed in a market.

The more outlandish claim that Chromebooks are going to destroy Windows is a result of the echo chamber that is the US-dominated tech sphere.

Ridlah

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone and Windows just lacks support in areas, Google hasn't brought over its youtube and maps services to windows phone, and apps like instagram aren't available either. People who consider switch wanna see their apps. Lets not forget Google's Glass services which they announced will be compatible with the iPhone, this big movement of not using your phone all the time will push people away from incompatible services such as windows phone.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone and Windows just lacks support in areas, Google hasn't brought over its youtube and maps services to windows phone, and apps like instagram aren't available either. People who consider switch wanna see their apps. Lets not forget Google's Glass services which they announced will be compatible with the iPhone, this big movement of not using your phone all the time will push people away from incompatible services such as windows phone.

this is only one of the reasons why i hate google.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone read this yet? - Microsoft multiyear license growth softens pain of PC decline | Reuters

I was going to make a separate thread but think this fits in fine here. Only 20% of MSFT revenue comes from actual PC market!

Nice read thank you. Seems the dominance of Windows makes some people think Microsoft is a one trick pony and now that PC sales have declined, apparently Microsoft is doomed. They are quick to forget the other areas MS is involved in. Hopefully MS foray into media such as music & video and how they are integrated into their services (such as Windwos and XBOX) works out.

I don't think people are saying Windows is dying to desktop Linux, but that it's losing its relevance and dominance to simpler mobile platforms. And that is true – the iPad can accomplish most, if not all of the computing requirements of the average PC user, and that switch happens to many daily. However, it's also a problem that Microsoft is actively trying to address with Windows 8. The broken comparison I find is when mobile platforms are combined into category against Windows and those figures used to prove that Windows is dying. If you consider Windows to be a platform like iOS and Android, which it is, then it's not doing that bad at all. Microsoft doesn't need to have 95% market share in order to succeed in a market.

The more outlandish claim that Chromebooks are going to destroy Windows is a result of the echo chamber that is the US-dominated tech sphere.

I agree, especially for the average user. But as an enthusiast, I don't necessarily see it as mobile devices replacing the PC, but rather supplementing the experience. For example in my case, I would consider picking up a tablet over getting a second monitor for saving space and acting as another monitor.

And how come the chromebook doesn't get slammed like the Surface RT does.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
UNIX is not open-source, it is proprietary and created by AT&T, which later divested it to Bell Labs. MINIX was UNIX-based and originally inexpensive, but only available in education (it did not become free until 2005). Linux was created by Linus Torvalds as a way to expand beyond proprietary and educational institution only.

Not all Linux distros are free. Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise are commercial products. Fedora and openSUSE are the free variants of those distros.

Ever notice something... Most open source software is complete ****!!!! Look at all of the alternatives to Windows, photoshop, office, etc etc... They all suck big time, and are only usable for geeks who have time to screw around all day. However, what I do think Open source is good for... The web.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo