09-17-2013 07:56 AM
73 123
tools
    If Nokia is able to provide a temporary workaround, then there is no reason why HTC/Samsung could not do the same. It isn't Microsoft's fault that HTC/Samsung are not as responsive as Nokia when it comes to providing updates.
    I think the point with this though, is that Nokia shouldn't have had to release an App to deal with this. This is/was an issue with the OS, which is Microsoft's. It's been an issue long enough that the Windows Phone team should have fixed it themselves, much like Microsoft in general do with Windows issues.
    AngryNil and farukdgn like this.
    04-23-2013 02:35 PM
    I think Microsoft is on the slow side with updates that fix bugs. I also think they have a tendency to release updates that fix one thing but cause problems with another. I'm hoping over time the updates get more timely and better.
    04-23-2013 02:38 PM
    I have been back on Windows Phone with wp8 and nokia 920 for two months and after that time windows phone is great, but Microsoft is very slow in fixing things and adding features. Now we have blue, but it is 5 months off. Great. I read rumors of more patches coming, but no concrete dates etc. I was going to get a z10 but opted to go back windows phone to be safe with bb10 being new, and for $50 the 920 was cheaper. These need fixing (and my list isn't better than anybody's list):

1. Toast notifications are pathetic. I love live tiles, but I NEED to have stuff on my lock screen more than just one and only one thing that gives me details. I pick email but I need to see texts, Facebook etc and don't get it. I can see the toast notification for a text but it goes away if the screen goes dark.
    2. Facebook is lacking and I don't mean the app. People hub is so much fun to me and I LOVE it, but I can't re share something, I can't tag a photo I don't have on my phone (even if its posted on my wall), uploading photos can't edit tags on multiple photos, stuff posted on my timeline I can't comment on or like as it errors out unless I go to the ME hub. There are more I think, but Facebook features need to be up to date with other os's and People Hub is better to me.
    3. OS needs updates to modern smartphone OS such as: upload videos to Facebook, you tube etc and just have access to upload videos, custom notifications, upgraded email to attached more than just photos etc.

Now I do love windows phone, but in the end Microsoft has to innovate and stop take so long. Windows Blue is coming, but to be honest they need to roll stuff out like custom notification sounds, people hub updates because these have been lacking from Windows Phone 7. I am going to wait and watch for a while on this platform as I love it, but if Microsoft continues to not give Windows Phone features, NEEDED features, of other OS's then I will leave WP for good.
    04-23-2013 04:39 PM
    ****ty software engineers? ****ty software managers? ****ty CEO?
    04-24-2013 12:06 AM
    Don't have a lot of time to read the thread. People need to stop to think who is MS target market? Business. Business rarely reward those companies that pump out half-baked patches and fixes. All updates and features additions need to be tested, validated and prepped before release. Whilst it's impossible to support the numerous variations for carriers MS does a pretty decent job especially when you consider how much of a headache it's on the Windows side of things. Apple generally takes a long time to release major patches, and sometimes minor. MS is releasing two or three major updates this year, excluding anything that the phone manufacturers are doing. Apple released a patch recently that FUBAR'd a company portal access with the iPhones not something you want in a commercial environment where you're making money. This is why IT support has to test every patch and update before releasing into the wild.

Remember WinPho 8 is a generation 1 OS, and some slack has to be given for that. If it's not improved by the next major release then you have room to bicker. Every software project has a set of objectives and time limits. This is why every software release is a compromise, generally they're looking for the majority and not for the minority/fringe issues which can fixed later (if ever).
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-24-2013 12:30 AM
    I hope Blue fixes everything. thanks for sharing.
    nicely said.
    04-24-2013 02:48 AM
    ...oh...okay...let's buy a phone...it has a major, known issue...but, it's a "new" OS...so, we shouldn't expect it to actually work...let's apologize and make more excuses...
    techiez likes this.
    04-24-2013 02:52 AM
    In addition to all what has been said here, I am also missing new features.

I think it would be more stratifying, if they don't release all the features on one day, but releasing a / some new features month by month.
    04-24-2013 02:52 AM
    In addition to all what has been said here, I am also missing new features.

I think it would be more stratifying, if they don't release all the features on one day, but releasing a / some new features month by month.

You mean like iOS? Maybe Steve Ballmer could hold a conference on the ability to create folders.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex Beta
    04-24-2013 05:36 AM
    Nokia $#%ing rock!! They have bent over backwards to make this a success. Microsoft on the other hand have gotta stop acting like they have 95% market share, as they do in other areas, n start acting like they have zero n are desperate to win!!!
    04-24-2013 06:34 AM
    This question makes me think about windows phone's future. Windows phone has a lot of issues and microsoft is just watching. Like they had all the market share, they do nothing. xbox music has many issues, homescreen has many too. I dont even talk about the missing features. Im starting to think if Microsoft doesnt want to sell more and Im afraid for windows phone's future. Developers doesn't even care of the OS and this makes me sad. This is the reason why I still cant decide which phone to buy. And Im buying one today.. I hope some day Microsoft starts to push updates and fixes fast like apple. What do you think about the future of wp?
    There are many reasons.
    First of all, WP is a very spartan and basic OS and what we feel like issues or temporarily lacking features, are specific choices, instead. So we'll never get any fix in the future.
    Second, M$ has other priorities than WP.
    04-24-2013 06:50 AM
    Nokia $#%ing rock!! They have bent over backwards to make this a success. Microsoft on the other hand have gotta stop acting like they have 95% market share, as they do in other areas, n start acting like they have zero n are desperate to win!!!
    I agree with the point that Nokia is doing a nice job. But, I'm watching them very close, and more people should to see how they handle the brewing Lumia 810 situation.
    boxa72 likes this.
    04-24-2013 07:17 AM
    more people should to see how they handle the brewing Lumia 810 situation.
    In the end, isn't this T-Mobile's call? If they don't want to roll out an update for an EOLed model, what can Nokia do?
    04-24-2013 07:21 AM
    I think Windows Phone team should take a look at how Windows team is working now, they release the patch EVERY WEEK (Tuesday patches), as a consumer, i'm very happy to know that what's going on with my OS and by releasing updates frequently, it make the OS more trustable and stable. Waiting can kill the love from a consumer to the OS quickly.
    04-24-2013 07:21 AM
    In the end, isn't this T-Mobile's call? If they don't want to roll out an update for an EOLed model, what can Nokia do?
    Give us a way to access the update and let us update at our own risk. That's the one thing I liked with WP7 and getting your updates via Zune. I owned a Focus S I used on T-Mobile for over 6 months. AT&T NEVER put out updates for ANY of it's WP7 models, so we came to WPCentral and learned the tricks to update the phone. Those options were removed from WP8.

If my 810 breaks 3 months from now and I have insurance, what's my replacement model? A Catwalk? A 521? A iPhone 5?
    04-24-2013 07:42 AM
    If they are fast, they are called Microhard, aka MH
    04-24-2013 08:04 AM
    Give us a way to access the update and let us update at our own risk.
    Ah, you're right. I was thinking strictly OTA.

I'd like Microsoft to take the initiative in this regard, if that promised enthusiast program for early updates ever comes out it will be a god send.
    04-24-2013 08:34 AM
    If my 810 breaks 3 months from now and I have insurance, what's my replacement model? A Catwalk? A 521? A iPhone 5?
    I can answer this question for you....T-Mobile knows that without the software update, the 810 is useless..and they will replace your used, faulty 810 with...a brand new or refurbished 810 with the same software problem...and round and round you'll go. Microsoft knows about the storage issue, they pass it to Nokia, who passed it to T-Mobile...meanwhile, 810 users have a busted phone and not one of the above companies will do anything about it.
    04-24-2013 09:10 AM
    I can answer this question for you....T-Mobile knows that without the software update, the 810 is useless..and they will replace your used, faulty 810 with...a brand new or refurbished 810 with the same software problem...and round and round you'll go. Microsoft knows about the storage issue, they pass it to Nokia, who passed it to T-Mobile...meanwhile, 810 users have a busted phone and not one of the above companies will do anything about it.
    I agree that's EXACTLY what would happen. This is why what is equally as mind blowing is how some of our fellow users here on other devices are looking at us 810 folks like we're the boys crying wolf in the corner at the back of the class. I'm at a point where I've given up the whole spend crazy money to upgrade my handsets regularly and that is why the EOL for the 810 is grinding my gears.
    04-24-2013 09:27 AM
    Don't have a lot of time to read the thread. People need to stop to think who is MS target market? Business. Business rarely reward those companies that pump out half-baked patches and fixes. All updates and features additions need to be tested, validated and prepped before release. Whilst it's impossible to support the numerous variations for carriers MS does a pretty decent job especially when you consider how much of a headache it's on the Windows side of things. Apple generally takes a long time to release major patches, and sometimes minor. MS is releasing two or three major updates this year, excluding anything that the phone manufacturers are doing. Apple released a patch recently that FUBAR'd a company portal access with the iPhones not something you want in a commercial environment where you're making money. This is why IT support has to test every patch and update before releasing into the wild.

Remember WinPho 8 is a generation 1 OS, and some slack has to be given for that. If it's not improved by the next major release then you have room to bicker. Every software project has a set of objectives and time limits. This is why every software release is a compromise, generally they're looking for the majority and not for the minority/fringe issues which can fixed later (if ever).
    Windows Phone is not for business, its for consumers as Windows 8 is for consumers; why they are leaving out business functions for pretty metro touch and now having to add them back (start button and booting to desktop, things businesses would need). How is Windows Phone 8 1st gen? Windows Phone 8 is the SECOND version of the operating system, so how is is 1st gen? Because it has a new number on it? Then we should say IOS 6 is a 1st gen os, but its actually a 6th gen os. Actually with Windows Phone 7.5 bring so many improvements to Windows Phone 7, one could say Windows Phone 8 is a 3rd gen os, but I will stick with 2nd gen.

Windows Phone was launched in October 2010, make it about 2.5 years old and approaching 3 years old and only two main os revisions? Microsoft lost the "new kid on the block" in like 2011. They need to shape up and get moving and innovate on this really cool and powerful mobile os. Blackberry 10 is the only "new kid on the block" and just barely a month out and 10.1 is coming out and fixing tons of issues and adding features. I agree with many here, Microsoft is lagging behind and many are makign excuses for them and Nokia and other companies should not be fixing their issues.
    Last edited by sandmanfvr; 04-24-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    tungha, farukdgn, sheybass and 2 others like this.
    04-24-2013 09:35 AM
    Windows Phone is not for business, its for consumers as Windows 8 is for consumers; why they are leaving out business functions for pretty metro touch and now having to add them back (start button and booting to desktop, things businesses would need). How is Windows Phone 8 1st gen? Windows Phone 8 is the SECOND version of the operating system, so how is is 1st gen? Because it has a new number on it? Then we should say IOS 6 is a 1st en os, but its actually a 6th gen os. Actually with Windows Phone 7.5 bring so many improvements to Windows Phone 7, one could say Windows Phone 8 is a 3rd gen os, but I will stick with 2nd gen.

Windows Phone was launched in October 2010, make it about 2.5 years old and approaching 3 years old and only two main os revisions? Microsoft lost the "new kid on the block" in like 2011. They need to shape up and get moving and innovate on this really cool and powerful mobile os. Blackberry 10 is the only "new kid on the block" and just barely a month out and 10.1 is coming out and fixing tons of issues and adding features. I agree with many here, Microsoft is lagging behind and many are makign excuses for them and Nokia and other companies should not be fixing their issues.
    Microsoft didn't just build of of wp7, they built it from the ground up and that's why it's considered first gen.
    04-24-2013 09:50 AM
    microsoft didn't just built of of wp7, they built it from the ground up, hence the first gen thing
    Yes wp7 is 1st gen, wp8 is 2nd gen, hence the number change.
    04-24-2013 09:55 AM
    When a carrier EOLs a device it usually just means that they stop selling and providing technical support for it. I don't think that should affect future updates since most major updates are done OTA for WP8.

My 710 got 7.8 recently and that has been off the market for a while. Do you think that phones like the 520, 620 and 720 will be on the market for the next three years? No, they will most likely reach EOL with their carriers by this fall/winter when new models come out. They will still be supported though by Nokia and MS if we go by how 7.X devices have continued to get updated. The 7.X update situation was more complicated than the 8.X situation so this time it should be easier than the past.

Nothing has even been finalized in terms of the 810 and some people are throwing their toys out of the pram already.
    04-24-2013 11:41 AM
    I think Windows Phone Blue (or whatever it will be called.... 8.5 maybe?) will be impressive on many accounts, I am expecting full skype integration at the very least.
    04-24-2013 12:07 PM
    When a carrier EOLs a device it usually just means that they stop selling and providing technical support for it. I don't think that should affect future updates since most major updates are done OTA for WP8.
    ...if the carrier drops support, where would the update come from...? If what you're saying is true, then ALL Nokia Lumias would have got the storage check app and firmware, not just the storage check app that you can't use without the firmware update.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    04-24-2013 12:08 PM
73 123