Why is Microsoft so slow at fixing issues?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia didn't fix it per se, they released an app that can get rid of the temp files manually. They still build up again.
Fair point, the actual problem might be much harder to resolve and will probably take some time. But users who can barely use their devices would rather a temporary fix than nothing, and that's what Nokia provided. I simply do not like the idea of HTC and Samsung being an inferior choice because of Microsoft's mistakes and subsequent inaction.

Johnrupp

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I can name three which are potential deal-breakers for me:
- inability to connect to my company's Exchange server. I get the dreaded error code 86000C2B (Google it. A common problem). Basically, a Microsoft product not supporting a Microsoft product.
- inability to connect to my company's WiFi (and other companies with security policies that go beyond WPA).
- tiles that don't update

I'm currently able to use my Nokia 920 for personal use only. I can't use it in a corporate environment or for work purposes, although I can use iOS, Android and Blackberry 10. Sad.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Fair point, the actual problem might be much harder to resolve and will probably take some time. But users who can barely use their devices would rather a temporary fix than nothing, and that's what Nokia provided. I simply do not like the idea of HTC and Samsung being an inferior choice because of Microsoft's mistakes and subsequent inaction.
If Nokia is able to provide a temporary workaround, then there is no reason why HTC/Samsung could not do the same. It isn't Microsoft's fault that HTC/Samsung are not as responsive as Nokia when it comes to providing updates.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There is no excuse for being slow on fixes, or perhaps not willing to address ongoing issues which date from WP7.X like the usage of proper Qualcomm CDMA coding to all the CDMA world rather than push China Mobile's standard (which is intentionally broken in order to meet Chinese government ruling).

Just wondering what information you might have that forms the basis of your statements or is it just conjecture and assumption on your part?

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia is able to provide a temporary workaround, then there is no reason why HTC/Samsung could not do the same. It isn't Microsoft's fault that HTC/Samsung are not as responsive as Nokia when it comes to providing updates.

I think the point with this though, is that Nokia shouldn't have had to release an App to deal with this. This is/was an issue with the OS, which is Microsoft's. It's been an issue long enough that the Windows Phone team should have fixed it themselves, much like Microsoft in general do with Windows issues.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft is on the slow side with updates that fix bugs. I also think they have a tendency to release updates that fix one thing but cause problems with another. I'm hoping over time the updates get more timely and better.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been back on Windows Phone with wp8 and nokia 920 for two months and after that time windows phone is great, but Microsoft is very slow in fixing things and adding features. Now we have blue, but it is 5 months off. Great. I read rumors of more patches coming, but no concrete dates etc. I was going to get a z10 but opted to go back windows phone to be safe with bb10 being new, and for $50 the 920 was cheaper. These need fixing (and my list isn't better than anybody's list):

1. Toast notifications are pathetic. I love live tiles, but I NEED to have stuff on my lock screen more than just one and only one thing that gives me details. I pick email but I need to see texts, Facebook etc and don't get it. I can see the toast notification for a text but it goes away if the screen goes dark.
  2. Facebook is lacking and I don't mean the app. People hub is so much fun to me and I LOVE it, but I can't re share something, I can't tag a photo I don't have on my phone (even if its posted on my wall), uploading photos can't edit tags on multiple photos, stuff posted on my timeline I can't comment on or like as it errors out unless I go to the ME hub. There are more I think, but Facebook features need to be up to date with other os's and People Hub is better to me.
  3. OS needs updates to modern smartphone OS such as: upload videos to Facebook, you tube etc and just have access to upload videos, custom notifications, upgraded email to attached more than just photos etc.

Now I do love windows phone, but in the end Microsoft has to innovate and stop take so long. Windows Blue is coming, but to be honest they need to roll stuff out like custom notification sounds, people hub updates because these have been lacking from Windows Phone 7. I am going to wait and watch for a while on this platform as I love it, but if Microsoft continues to not give Windows Phone features, NEEDED features, of other OS's then I will leave WP for good.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Don't have a lot of time to read the thread. People need to stop to think who is MS target market? Business. Business rarely reward those companies that pump out half-baked patches and fixes. All updates and features additions need to be tested, validated and prepped before release. Whilst it's impossible to support the numerous variations for carriers MS does a pretty decent job especially when you consider how much of a headache it's on the Windows side of things. Apple generally takes a long time to release major patches, and sometimes minor. MS is releasing two or three major updates this year, excluding anything that the phone manufacturers are doing. Apple released a patch recently that FUBAR'd a company portal access with the iPhones not something you want in a commercial environment where you're making money. This is why IT support has to test every patch and update before releasing into the wild.

Remember WinPho 8 is a generation 1 OS, and some slack has to be given for that. If it's not improved by the next major release then you have room to bicker. Every software project has a set of objectives and time limits. This is why every software release is a compromise, generally they're looking for the majority and not for the minority/fringe issues which can fixed later (if ever).

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
...oh...okay...let's buy a phone...it has a major, known issue...but, it's a "new" OS...so, we shouldn't expect it to actually work...let's apologize and make more excuses...

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
In addition to all what has been said here, I am also missing new features.

I think it would be more stratifying, if they don't release all the features on one day, but releasing a / some new features month by month.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
In addition to all what has been said here, I am also missing new features.

I think it would be more stratifying, if they don't release all the features on one day, but releasing a / some new features month by month.

You mean like iOS? Maybe Steve Ballmer could hold a conference on the ability to create folders.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex Beta

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Nokia $#%ing rock!! They have bent over backwards to make this a success. Microsoft on the other hand have gotta stop acting like they have 95% market share, as they do in other areas, n start acting like they have zero n are desperate to win!!!

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This question makes me think about windows phone's future. Windows phone has a lot of issues and microsoft is just watching. Like they had all the market share, they do nothing. xbox music has many issues, homescreen has many too. I dont even talk about the missing features. Im starting to think if Microsoft doesnt want to sell more and Im afraid for windows phone's future. Developers doesn't even care of the OS and this makes me sad. This is the reason why I still cant decide which phone to buy. And Im buying one today.. I hope some day Microsoft starts to push updates and fixes fast like apple. What do you think about the future of wp?

There are many reasons.
First of all, WP is a very spartan and basic OS and what we feel like issues or temporarily lacking features, are specific choices, instead. So we'll never get any fix in the future.
Second, M$ has other priorities than WP.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia $#%ing rock!! They have bent over backwards to make this a success. Microsoft on the other hand have gotta stop acting like they have 95% market share, as they do in other areas, n start acting like they have zero n are desperate to win!!!

I agree with the point that Nokia is doing a nice job. But, I'm watching them very close, and more people should to see how they handle the brewing Lumia 810 situation.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows Phone team should take a look at how Windows team is working now, they release the patch EVERY WEEK (Tuesday patches), as a consumer, i'm very happy to know that what's going on with my OS and by releasing updates frequently, it make the OS more trustable and stable. Waiting can kill the love from a consumer to the OS quickly.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
In the end, isn't this T-Mobile's call? If they don't want to roll out an update for an EOLed model, what can Nokia do?

Give us a way to access the update and let us update at our own risk. That's the one thing I liked with WP7 and getting your updates via Zune. I owned a Focus S I used on T-Mobile for over 6 months. AT&T NEVER put out updates for ANY of it's WP7 models, so we came to WPCentral and learned the tricks to update the phone. Those options were removed from WP8.

If my 810 breaks 3 months from now and I have insurance, what's my replacement model? A Catwalk? A 521? A iPhone 5?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss