Why is Microsoft so slow at fixing issues?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I've worked with and on operating systems for over 20 years. There is actually some science behind software development, so not everything boils down to just matters of opinion. I don't think you are crazy, but I consider myself qualified enough to say you are objectively wrong on that call.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
^ I've worked with and on operating systems for over 20 years. There is actually some science behind software development, so not everything boils down to just matters of opinion. I don't think you are crazy, but I consider myself qualified enough to say you are objectively wrong on that call.

And I have worked with pcs since MS-DOS 3.1 so yeah I have enough time to say the same. :smile: I may be wrong, and my wife says I am alot :wink:, but I don't think Microsoft is trying; if there is more to it in the way Windows Phone 8 is being handled and I am jumping the gun, then I am wrong. Don't mind being wrong, only way to learn but I think the NT Kernel should be a strength that makes Windows Phone 8 explode in features over Windows Phone 7, but maybe I am wrong.....

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll give you a sympathy "like" for the bit about the wife. Same here. ;-)

On a final note, I would say we should leave judgements about software to those that actually work on it. I probably wouldn't dispute your take on issues related to IT administration either.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I am HOPING, the windows blue will be awesome. I just saw this online:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57581433-75/next-xbox-may-sell-for-$499-or-$299-with-two-year-subscription/

So the new xbox MIGHT be windows 8 to. I am thinking that blue may be the magic bullet for Microsoft. I just hope there are a few updates an features before blue, isn't Microsoft bringing out other stuff mid year of was that a rumor?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Portico was GDR1. GDR2 is supposed to be coming out this summer. There have already been leaks of it on a HTC phone. Then at some point GDR3 is supposed to be in the pipeline before Blue is released.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am HOPING, the windows blue will be awesome. I just saw this online:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57581433-75/next-xbox-may-sell-for-$499-or-$299-with-two-year-subscription/

So the new xbox MIGHT be windows 8 to. I am thinking that blue may be the magic bullet for Microsoft. I just hope there are a few updates an features before blue, isn't Microsoft bringing out other stuff mid year of was that a rumor?

I was actually thinking this too, not because of the cnet article, but more because of the switch to an x86 processor for the next xbox. It only makes sense that they would either base it of windows 8, or at the very least its kernel would be windows NT. Especially since they are trying to focus heavily on apps in the xbox now and the next xbox too, my guess would be that its a skinned version of windows 8 that is dumbed down for use on a controller.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am one of those business users, and I completely agree that jumping back and forth is a royal pain in the a55. However, my statement isn't the contradiction you think it is ;-)

I'm using W8 right now, and it is technically impossible to start a metro app on this installation of mine. That it isn't possible to spend 100% of your time on the desktop without accidentally falling back into a metro app is a common misconception, and probably responsible for most of W8's image problem.

I've previously explained it here.

I recognize that the average consumer probably has little chance of figuring this out for themselves, but companies should have IT support staff that understand how to setup a W8 installation accordingly. Training users then becomes simple as pie, because W8 then feels exactly the same as W7, with the exception of the start screen, which most instantly recognize as being a larger and better replacement for the old start menu.

Well yes a5cent you are correct that it's possible to avoid jumping back and forth if it's set up correctly. When I read what you described I realized that you & I do the same thing. I work in IT, and I spend a small part of my time at work in PC sales and service. I set up customers' PCs to minimize the switching. On my own computer, the only time I use the Modern UI is when I click the corner (where the Start Button used to be) to search for a program or file. Click (jumps to Modern UI), type, Enter (jumps back to desktop to open program or file).

You and I don't have a problem doing that because we're techs. The average consumer, though, has no clue how to minimize the jumping. :confused:

On another note, rumors are that a form of the Start button is returning.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
slow? I'm not sure what it is, but the Xbox Music app for iPhone lets you edit the playlists and delete individual tracks, and the Windows Phone 8 app hasn't allowed that since release last fall. That annoys me :/

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone doesn't have many issues. If it does, feel free to list them.

There are missing features, but that is entirely different to an issue/bug.

Microsoft have development cycles and add features periodically. Recently more frequently than Apple.

Your post does sound like someone commenting on Windows Phone without having one.

**MOD EDIT: Please refrain from calling someone a troll**

Goto MS forums and you would see a lot of issues for which MS mods have accepted as known issues and say that they are working. 8-9 months down the line, I still see those issue today.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows Phone Blue (or whatever it will be called.... 8.5 maybe?) will be impressive on many accounts, I am expecting full skype integration at the very least.
Thats what ppl hope from every WP update but sadly it doesnt match expection, hopefully MS doesnt say that blue was supposed to be a minor update and wait for WP9 next.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss