Microsoft needs to sit tight and dominate the low end.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Alot of criticism is going towards WP because it doesn't have the best specs ever, doesn't have 8 inch screens (Ever heard of POCKET SIZE!!!) And Microsoft does need to work on those things.

But let's be honest. WP probably isn't going to dominate the high end market any time soon. So, what they need to do even more than they already are, is drill the low end and mid range market to force those lag droids in full retreat. But to do this, MS needs to target US prepaid carriers! Why are they ignoring those markets! Around 25 percent of mobile buyers are on prepaid(US)! They need to go to Virgin Mobile and Boost and flood the market with Nokias and HTCs. Just think about a buyer comparing a $200 lumia 520 to an Android... No competition, they would choose the WP, because it won't take a computer scientist to use, and will work well! (If they can use them hands on) Not many Android OEMs are worried about the low end, but if WP starts to get the low end and mid range , you can bet it will roll over to the high end.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually, after reading the Engadget review of the 520, it's actually better to push the 620.

It's true that the 620 seems inferior in the spec sheet, but it provides a better real life experience.

Aside from that, I agree with you. WP provides the best experience at the low end and doesn't require a steep learning curve.
The experience is unique, the hardware is superb, the OEM support is superior (speaking for Nokia and HTC)
Here in the Philippines, the vast majority of people are on prepaid/PAYG but people are just getting eased into postpaid plans. But, none of the carriers are carrying WP devices (bar the 8X)

Also, Word of mouth is the way to go!

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I REALLY wish AT&T would pick up the 620. I want a cheap backup phone and I love the 620... if it had wireless charging it would be perfect.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They need to go to Virgin Mobile and Boost and flood the market with Nokias and HTCs. Just think about a buyer comparing a $200 lumia 520 to an Android... No competition, they would choose the WP, because it won't take a computer scientist to use, and will work well! (If they can use them hands on)

I wouldn't say it's that simple. WP is still a relatively new OS that still has a ways to go to catch up to Android and iOS in function. The app gap is still a very real issue. I used an LG Optimus V with Virgin Mobile until a few months ago, and since then I used an AT&T Lumia 920 for awhile. The Optimus V ran circles around the 920 in capabilities. Of course the 920 was faster, smoother, bigger, more polished, higher quality LCD, and better in every other way, but yet the Play Store allowed the Optimus V to do things that are still a dream for a WP. When I got the Optimus V about 2 years ago, WP7 had been out for a few months and the capability gap was quite large then. Now the gap is much smaller, but still present.

That's how I saw it. I don't think WP will appeal to the general public until the app situation has improved exponentially. I agree 100% that a low end WP provides a much better user experience than a low end Android, but a smooth phone with limited capabilities isn't any better than a slower phone that will do anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos