Microsoft should consider opening a social networking site

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has already one called so.cl which is disastrous,here are the reasons I believe why Microsoft should consider entering the social network arena.
1) they have the resources to do it
2) growing fans of windows with hatred for google. Bing can add for a superior search feature.
3) with Skype they can do wonders in the video chatting department and with outlook and Skype can make for a superior messaging integration.
4) with the advantage of windows phones,they can make inroads in the mobile social networking area to give competition to fb although google has failed here.
5) with Xbox gaming they can make wonders in integrating windows devices to make a superior gaming experience online.
Considering all the above facts,Microsoft has a great shot at a successful social network if they do it right.
If you believe/disbelieve please add your opinions.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
They already have one... The little known so.cl

EDIT: Oh wait you already mentioned it at the start, sorry I skipped that. Yeah, maybe they should but I doubt it could compete with facebook and google+ especially since so.cl isn't growing.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
So.cl is nice, but it's more of a mashup of Bing meets Twitter meets Pinterest/Tumblr. Not a traditional social network, but interesting nonetheless.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
So.cl is nice, but it's more of a mashup of Bing meets Twitter meets Pinterest/Tumblr. Not a traditional social network, but interesting nonetheless.

Thank you so much for explaining that, seen as the OP couldn't be bothered.

Why I asked is because the OP title says Microsoft should consider opening a social network site, then contradicts himself by saying they have one called so.cl -- this totally confused me, as I have never heard of it.

I'll to check it out -- I wonder if they have an app for it?

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I mean they kinda already have 2 major social networks, Skype and xbox. You can send messages and view your xbox friends profiels on wp8/w8/xbox and chat with them on xbox so all they would need to do is turn it into a site. Skype is more or less the same thing too, you can Skype people, chat with them, add people to your friends list, etc. All they would need to do is make a website from it. If they could let you do Skype while playing xbox and had a little video box on the lower corner of your screen while playing a game with your friend, that might be cool and/or possibly too distracting, but cool nevertheless.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has already one called so.cl which is disastrous,here are the reasons I believe why Microsoft should consider entering the social network arena.
1) they have the resources to do it
2) growing fans of windows with hatred for google. Bing can add for a superior search feature.
3) with Skype they can do wonders in the video chatting department and with outlook and Skype can make for a superior messaging integration.
4) with the advantage of windows phones,they can make inroads in the mobile social networking area to give competition to fb although google has failed here.
5) with Xbox gaming they can make wonders in integrating windows devices to make a superior gaming experience online.
Considering all the above facts,Microsoft has a great shot at a successful social network if they do it right.
If you believe/disbelieve please add your opinions.

All your points are present in Facebook and for serious video comms, Google+ with Hangouts. What would be MS' unique selling point here? Why would people (regular people who've never heard of WP8 and/or WPcentral.com ever use it?

I mean, my entire online life goes through Google - and I still use Facebook most of the time because that's where the people I know are. This is why G+ and the rest will fail - when one's friends are all on one social network, it basically needs everyone to switch en masse. Although Hangouts on G+ is amazeballs for full-family catchups or indeed whenever more than 2 people need to VC.

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has brought Skype into outlook.com,how would it be if outlook becomes the social network? Picture this: 1) videocalling,messaging,gaming,music from Xbox,people hub integration etc.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So.cl isn't some disastrous failure. You know why? It's just a research project. It's not supposed to be some big social site.

People at MS are trying out some ideas with so.cl. Then they ask for feedback on those ideas from the people who choose to participate in this project.

It was never meant to be some Facebook competitor. Though the things learned from it may be integrated into future services.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft has brought Skype into outlook.com,how would it be if outlook becomes the social network? Picture this: 1) videocalling,messaging,gaming,music from Xbox,people hub integration etc.

I think it's more likely that XBOX Live expands to be more social. But instead of acting as its own independent network, it way tie in to existing networks better.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Its also possible Microsoft may not be trying to get into a true social networking site too much because of how fickle they are. I mean take myspace it was huge, then facebook happened and they look like they might be going down because of twitter or google+. Google+ only seems to be big because so many people use gmail and other google services, sure, I use gmail a lot so I technically have a G+ account, but I haven't ever used it though. Social networking is amazingly fickle as I said earlier and you never know when one is about to die and a new one pops up. Remember, people though when myspace was the dominant player that it was here to stay...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills