Nokia is AMAZING but Microsoft needs more OEMs

POCKETABLEtech

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Being a Lumia 920 user and now owning the Lumia 620 I can confidently say Nokia knows how to make a beautiful device, one that's not only stylish but also durable and solid. I've always laughed at the expression; if you dropped the Lumia 920 you have to be careful of damaging the ground (there is some truth in that statement) hahaha.. Anyway its no secret that Nokia's Lumia 920 offers the best Windows Phone experience at the moment & they deserve all the praise for their line of beautiful devices as well as there endless efforts to bring there own handful of useful apps to the Windows App store.
Now with that being said their competition is practically non existent at this this point in time, and I feel like that can only have a negative effect on the Windows Phone OS cause after all competition = innovation. What are your thoughts?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
More OEM's wont solve the problem of a lack of basic functionality in WP and MS's inability to update the OS to provide that and more advanced functionality in a timely fashion. HTC and Samsung are already there and not doing a lot, and these are two of the top phone OEM's in the world. If they cant be bothered its doubtful any other OEM will be.

POCKETABLEtech

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Clearly Microsoft needs to step up there game but I think part of stepping up their game should involve getting more OEMs to build devices. Yes there is the Samsung Ativ S and the HTC 8X but they really didn't bring anything monumental to the platform besides hardware design; the HTC 1X has that sleek and slim body design and the Samsung Ativ S brought a removable battery and SD expansion none of these phones really went the extra mile and got creative like Nokia did to bring features to enhance the platform and that really what windows phone needs more options and more selection.

calecamo

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't worry about that since Nokia has great consumer services and always have innovations in their products.
Sent from my cyan Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

WPFanboy

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, WP lacks the basic functions, no notification center? WTF? that's basiclly wat keeps me from switching because i get notifications 24/7 and i can't miss any.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, WP lacks the basic functions, no notification center? WTF? that's basiclly wat keeps me from switching because i get notifications 24/7 and i can't miss any.

I'm trying to reconcile this statement with your username but I failed lol!

FlashFlare11

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll be tough to get other OEMs on board. Microsoft has a lot of restrictions on what OEMs can do with WP. Unlike with Android, they don't exert much control over what their customers are getting. In addition, Android is free while the OEMs have to pay MS to use WP.

I think that an exclusive deal with Nokia is actually a good thing. You don't want too much (if any) fragmentation in the OS. Nokia makes beautiful hardware and you can be sure that Nokia will make hardware finely suited to WP8. Unless, of course, Microsoft decides to enter the hardware market with its own devices. I'd love to see that!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think Microsoft and Nokia have a good thing going! If Nokia supported only Microsoft and Microsoft only supported Nokia, they can match Apple with quality and Google with variety!

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
No we don't want many other OEMs. One top one is enough to take WP to the top. Apple and RIM are only one and still they are and were on top. Android has a virtual single OEM. One with dedication is better.. if you have multiple, then there will not be a dedicated OEM.. each OEM will look at different OS. and Windows has its limitations.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't even own a Nokia WP and I 100% think Nokia should be the exclusive OEM of WP... just buy nokia or half of it and make them the mobile division.

AS long as you cut out the damn exclusive provider deals

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest the exact opposite.

IMHO MS must commit to Nokia and cut smartphone ties with Samsung and HTC. MS must accept that marketing WP is a lost cause and put all their marketing muscle into better establishing the Lumia brand.

It is better to have one strong partner than three weak partners fighting over scraps (Nokia and HTC are weak due to their financials, Samsung and HTC are weak in terms of innovation and commitment)

Later, when WP's marketshare can support more companies, I would reconsider that position.

Right now, I think WP would be better off with but a single hardware manufacturer, except China, where ZTE and Hauwei are needed to help penetrate that market.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree with a5cent. Microsoft needs to drop other phone OEM's like a hot potato. Give Nokia an exclusive deal with Windows Phone, and amp up the advertising.

So far, the people I've read that own the 8x or Ativ S, they like it, but always seem to make note that they are at least wondering on long term support, as well as some wish they went to a lumia for its better hardware and software. Basically: Nokia has: Good design, Good software, Good pricing, Good Phones, Innovative hardware. Other Windows Phone OEM's: Good Phones.

I feel that the other OEMs are hurting MS. MS I remember said something about 8x being a flagship phone last year (something like that), yet the 8x sounds (and seems from available data and reviews) more like a higher-mid range device, and Samsung cloned the S3, made it metallic, and delayed it due to increased S3 hardware needs. Further, from what ive seen (with exception to the 920, which is apparently finicky, from the numerous posts of problems here on wpcentral) more people with Nokia devices are satisfied than those with devices from the other 2 WP OEMs.

Nokia is the only one putting their all into Windows Phone (Probably cause they have a lot to lose), while Samsung is Android King and HTC is confused.

...[SUP]sometimes I wonder if maybe Microsoft should just buy Nokia...[/SUP]

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
No we don't want many other OEMs. One top one is enough to take WP to the top. Apple and RIM are only one and still they are and were on top. Android has a virtual single OEM. One with dedication is better.. if you have multiple, then there will not be a dedicated OEM.. each OEM will look at different OS. and Windows has its limitations.

Agreed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros