WP 8 Arabic or Farsi Support in US

Qaaf

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
We know that MS screwed up with WP 7 by not including Arabic or Farsi support, but I was wondering about the WP 8 language support? I don't see either Arabic or Farsi to choose from in Lumia 920? I know WP 8 is supposed to support these two languages, but is it only in the Mid. East or Asia? Is there a way I can set up or add these languages in the US? Some of my family members are interested to upgrade, but they need to do all of their work in Arabic or Farsi (For those who are not familiar with these languages, the alphabets are the same, except few additional letters in Farsi and very minor difference, but either one will work)

In the Setting --> language + region, I can only see 6 languages to choose from. I do see all the countries and regional formats though, which does seem to change some text (calendar) to Arabic, but can't change the language of the phone?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

IceCrush

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Under phone language, there are around 50 language to choose from, including Arabic and Farsi.. Choosing Arabic for example, turns all the phone to arabic, including calendar, people hubs and everything else.
if you can't see it in phone language, i recommend flashing different rom.

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to try this because there is no way to uninstall it I believe, but go into settings, keyboard and add the Arabic keyboard. It will download some files. Then go back to region and language and see if you can switch languages.

Edit: Disregard the above it will not help you according to this answer:

Display languages are chosen by the OEM and are typically region specific
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/feature-and-service-availability
So if you don't have the language in your list, there's no way to add it (at least officially).
However, as you probably know, all the supported keyboard languages (for text entry) are available for all phones (including Thai and Finnish).
(from: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-to-not/d39846df-3175-4fda-89f1-a25d3373542e)

So it all boils down to what languages the carrier wants to provide for the region.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism