What's with the last digit?

Zokudu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me Nokias 3rd digit in their Lumia numbering? I understand 1st digit is tier, 2nd digit is generation and 3rd digit is variant but it seems like the 3rd digit is really inconsistent.

We have the 822, 521, and 928 coming out. Now from yesterdays podcast Dan said the numbers for the 14th are 925 for catwalk and 928 for cdma catwalk. This makes sense XX5 for a point style release but why couldn't the 928 be the 927? Then it could be model +1 for AWS and model +2 for cdma.

Instead we have a final number that just shows that its different. Come on Nokia. I love the numbering it makes sense and really fleshes out where everything is compared to android.

Samsung is galaxy for android smartphone, ativ for windows and s for flagship bit seemingly random names elsewhere. HTC is even worse. I just wish that last number was consistent for variants.

Rant over.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Most likely trademarks. peugeot have numerous XX6 and XX7 numbers, Porsche have 92X numbers, im supprised 928 is allowed.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Most likely trademarks. peugeot have numerous XX6 and XX7 numbers, Porsche have 92X numbers, im supprised 928 is allowed.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

I think that would only be a problem if Nokia were trying to sell a car with that number in it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
9XX - Flagship
8XX - High End
7XX - Mid Range
6XX - Entry
5XX - Low End

X1X, X2X - Generation Bump/Carrier Exclusives

Exceptions:
no Lumia 910 because of trademark HP iPAQ 910
no Lumia 500, 600, or 700 because there is a Nokia 500, 600, and 700
XX2, XX8 - Verizon will do ANYTHING to make their models stand out.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
9XX - Flagship
8XX - High End
7XX - Mid Range
6XX - Entry
5XX - Low End

X1X, X2X - Generation Bump/Carrier Exclusives

Exceptions:
no Lumia 910 because of trademark HP iPAQ 910
no Lumia 500, 600, or 700 because there is a Nokia 500, 600, and 700
XX2, XX8 - Verizon will do ANYTHING to make their models stand out.

To make your statement more accurate, here:

Model no. XYZ
X = Tier
Y = Generation
Z = (a) Nokia is repeating the Symbian strategy (i.e. Many models within same tier in same generation)
(b) Let's face it, the carriers want to screw around with you.

Tiers:
First:
1xx: Basic phones.
Feature:
2xx: Low-end feature phones.
3xx: High-end feature phones. All except the 301 have a touch screen.
Smart:
5xx: Entry-level smartphone or Premium Feature Phone. Normally with ridiculous handicaps.
6xx: Low-Mid Range smartphone. Normally shares same hardware with 5xx series.
7xx: Mid range smartphone. Normally shares same hardware with higher-end phones. 720 is the lone exception.
8xx: Former flagship tier, supplanted by 9xx series. Normally has worst sales in any tier. Either small version of flagship or features same internals.
9xx: Relatively new tier. Flagship level.

There is no such thing as the following: 4xx series, S60 4th Edition, Symbian^4, xx4 series, Windows Phone 4. Real reason behind Nokia not using Android was because it's still at 4.x.x

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me Nokias 3rd digit in their Lumia numbering? I understand 1st digit is tier, 2nd digit is generation and 3rd digit is variant but it seems like the 3rd digit is really inconsistent.

We have the 822, 521, and 928 coming out. Now from yesterdays podcast Dan said the numbers for the 14th are 925 for catwalk and 928 for cdma catwalk. This makes sense XX5 for a point style release but why couldn't the 928 be the 927? Then it could be model +1 for AWS and model +2 for cdma.

Instead we have a final number that just shows that its different. Come on Nokia. I love the numbering it makes sense and really fleshes out where everything is compared to android.

Samsung is galaxy for android smartphone, ativ for windows and s for flagship bit seemingly random names elsewhere. HTC is even worse. I just wish that last number was consistent for variants.

Rant over.
Would you want their previous system?
At one point, they had 4 lines of hardware.
CSeries for consumer products
ESeries for business
NSeries for flagships
XSeries for media devices

The NSeries and ESeries, being the first two, used to have an Nxy structure, where:
N-line
x-tier
y-generation/variant
The ESeries had the 5x and 7x series, and the NSeries and the 7x, 8x and 9x series.

Then, we had the CSeries and XSeries come along and we had a change.
It was now Nx-yz
N and x mean line and tier, respectively.
y and z mean either generation or variant.

It's really confusing if you didn't follow Nokia its Symbian days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3