Hostility Towards Windows Phone

Traderhorn

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi i own and use windows phone 7 and 8 also surface RT tablet, so i am used to negative comments from i phone/ i pad / Android phone/Tablet owners, even family members, am i bothered? no i have phones and tablet far superior, they do everything i need,never fail to work, quick and easy to use,well made and receive regular updates to OS just had storage check and maps to SD card, and apps, more arriving, when BBC I PLAYER for UK arrives then almost perfect,
i have had all OS over the years ( except Apple ) and still use webOS/ Meego/Symbian and Maemo 5, and windows phone i personally find is the best to date as my main phones, perhaps the detractors will see the errors of their ways, and use the best. WINDOWS PHONE.

smerfy01

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a lot of hostility and I think it comes down to two factors:

1. Everyone assumes it's the same Microsoft from 10 years ago. Windows ME/2000/xp-64 bit/anti-trust cases/etc.

2. OS envy. WP8 actually looks like a viable mobile OS. People are fans of IOS and Android and they want to have the best experience, the top experience. If something comes up that innovates and works well at what it does and doesn't take place on their platform of choice, they will immediately hate on it. They may not want to get a Windows Phone right now, but they want the innovation...so they'll hate it and talk crap about it until it goes away. Superiority complex.

Those 2 things contribute to most of the hate, IMO. But hate is good sometimes. No such thing as bad press and whatnot.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Namely, I think the main reason people seem to troll or pass negative comments about the OS is because of the slow adoption rate, and the absolute dominance of the other two platforms.

People assume it must be terrible because there's relatively few Windows phones in the wild. Marry that with the fact that fanboys, who actually are generally knowledgeable and informed, tend to spread misinformation about WP8. Don't know why, but Id hazard a guess that its because they feel threatened by what is actually a credible OS. Sounds silly to think that grown men and women would do this, but that's the reality, and the mindset of fanboys.

I know people say this all the time here, but in the short time I've had a WP, I've convinced two others to buy into the OS. My friend is receiving his phone tomorrow and for a bloke that has never displayed any sort of interest in tech, and is even quite ignorant of it, is legitimately excited.

Simply because he was enthralled by how WP ran, looked and performed. I'm enjoying trying to convert people to WP8. It deserves the attention and love, it really is the best platform I've ever come across in many ways.

And I nearly bought an another Android instead, but said Id give Windows a shot. Glad I did.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
A true technology enthusiasts appreciates every form of technology, no matter was OS, company, whoever makes it, etc. But not everyone is a technology enthusiasts. Many are just going based on what others say whether they are opinions or close people in their lives. Almost everyone in my family uses WP because I encouraged them but I never forced it upon them. Many are just uninformed but WP is definitely gaining traction...

Yeah, I guess that's why I just bought an Apple iPhone 5 (iOS) to replace the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android OS) as my primary smartphone and intend to buy the Nokia Lumia 928 (WP8 OS) in a couple months to pair with the iPhone 5. To give the Galaxy Nexus a rest, I just put my HTC Trophy (WP7 OS) back on line #2 (and also recently bought an HP Pre 3 (webOS), which I'm having a hell of a time activating because it didn't come loaded with webOS 2.2.4!). I also intend to buy a Blackberry 10 OS smartphone later this year before I complete my 2 year contract on line #2 and drop back down to 1 line.

I personally like iOS and Windows Phone OS the best (probably iOS a shade more than WP OS, but I want to get my hands on a WP8 device so I can do a true comparison) and am not an Android OS fan (there always seem to be some sort of hardware performance issues with every Android device), but I'm not going to go out of my way to bash Android. (I'll add I'm not anti-Google because I also have a chromebook and I really like the chromebook the more I use it.)

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
On the verge every article about windows phones is incredibly popular, all the android fanboys comes to bash windows phone.
But it's kinda cool, cause people knows about windows phone and jealous at some point.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
because its new trend in the industry to hate MS, people think it is cool to hate MS products, but they don't know that MS products have gotten a lot better lately & they cant do any productive work with out using MS product, and MS doesn't know how to educate customers, also doesn't know how to advertise.
Cloud is a big buzz word now & nobody knows Sky Drive, it was one of the first to offer cloud storage, Google increased storage capacity to 15 GB it was all over the news, they compared storage limit to Amazon cloud, drop box, box & never mentioned Sky Drive in the article (CNET) which gives you 25 GB free space.

I'm sure that we are all aware of this, but why is there so much hostility towards windows phone. I mean, I was on the verge the other day and they made an article about blackberry and I swear one of the first comments on it was WP sucks!

I understand that its not for everyone, but people don't seem to troll on BB half as much as WP, especially when it comes to android users, I have no problem with them thinking android is superior, thats their choice, but they always have to be the first one to insult windows phone. I just don't get it, its like they're all scared that wp might actually be a legitimate competitor to both iOS and android! I mean all three platforms have their merits, and while I personally don't like android, I don't just go and say "android sucks...have fun with your laggy,unstable, OS, losers!"

The reason why I'm bringing this up was when I was at school the other day. Let me just preface it by saying that I'm and electrical engineering major, so of course we are all into technology and phones and such. I showed my friend my new phone (the htc 8x) and he thought it was cool. Another guy sitting next to us liked the design of it and said, cool phone, and then I showed him it was a windows phone and then he said"I'm sorry you have a windows phone". He was an android user. Then I actually showed him the OS and he walked away impressed. Every time I show someone using android a windows phone, they are always like "cool, its so smooth, I wish my phone ran that fast.."

I'm not saying that my feelings are hurt, because its an OS platform, which people tend to forget when they treat it like a religion, but people out there, especially fandroids seem to get really offended or upset when you don't like android..its kinda funny. Why do you think there is such hostility towards wp?

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
There's just a huge amount of general smugness when it comes to both apple and google fans. They rail against MS for past sins and the relative lack of viruses on apple machines. I constantly point out that, despite what they see at Barnes and NOble, wintel machines are still the vast majority and it's not worth the hackers' time to attack the mac.

now, no matter what MS does, it often gets spun negatively. when the news came out that "Blue" would look a little more like win7, possibly including a start button, all the news stories I heard were that MS had "admitted they made a mistake." SMH/FP. This was, of course either after, or on the same day as, the story about 100MM licenses for Win8.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming when we refer to Apple and Google fans, we really mean hardcore techies who actually care about these OS wars and not the average consumer? Cause most people I know who own a iPhone or Androids actually use Windows PCS on a regular basis. So there can't be that much hate amongst us regular folks for Microsoft

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Reading this site today I would say that there is a lot of hostility towards WP from WP users themselves. I have never seen fans of any product so down and insecure as I have with WP fans.

Macdaddy0

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
the more and more i try to defend my windows phone, the more i see the stuff im missing. the last 2 months having the nokia lumia 822 have been fun, but im bored. i miss my note 2 and will be going to get one today. Its been fun seeing so many passionate people on here but im sick of waiting for updates and apps....Not having a notification center drives me nuts. Maybe once an update comes out and fixes these little things i may come back... I guess i will just run launcher 8 on the note 2 because it gives me the look i want and gives me more options than it does on wp.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
the more and more i try to defend my windows phone, the more i see the stuff im missing. the last 2 months having the nokia lumia 822 have been fun, but im bored. i miss my note 2 and will be going to get one today. Its been fun seeing so many passionate people on here but im sick of waiting for updates and apps....Not having a notification center drives me nuts. Maybe once an update comes out and fixes these little things i may come back... I guess i will just run launcher 8 on the note 2 because it gives me the look i want and gives me more options than it does on wp.

Hopefully you'll be back near the end of this year. I hope Microsoft delivers.

Macdaddy0

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
if microsoft delivers i will be back....this os is great just things that seem obvious are missing....and the followers here are amazing so microsoft better deliver for them :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I know what you mean. I feel disconnected when I try to use my WP as my primary phone. The notification system just doesn't cut it. I still keep one to play with, and I hope in the future WP becomes mature enough that Android & iOS notice it.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
People tend to be hostile when faced with either a threat or something desired yet not obtained.
Then you have the occasional goofball that thinks that the windows OS is not impressive.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
So, in a nutshell, this is good. A lot of smartphone users are so embedded with their select ecosystem (apple, android) that they will object to anything that is competition. If anything this should tell you that windows phone's influence is strong and growing.
People tend to be hostile when faced with either a threat or something desired yet not obtained.
Then you have the occasional goofball that thinks that the windows OS is not impressive.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think people are more anti-iOS than anti-WP really, but that's because not that many people are aware of Windows Phone currently. Thats changing in the UK though with wider network solution (especially O2) and all the advertising on the telly.

I tend to recommend either WP or iOS to people, depending on their needs and budget - not sure there are many people in the world who would be served better by Android!

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Right. People are objective against Apple because they are such a force in the tech world. You commit to something and then something else is flashing it's medals in front of you then there you have typical human jealousy which also brings dislike etc. I prefer android over iOS simply because i don't like the layout of apple's mobile operating system. I like widgets and live tiles and apple is just too static for my taste so I don't buy their products. I do think that Apple is a better company than Google. That's my personal opinion. I KNOW that apple and Microsoft are not enemies and benefit from each other as said by both Jobs and Gates. Google is against Microsoft and Apple and although I would prefer an android phone over an Apple phone I still respect Apple more. Again my reason is purely based off aesthetics not functionality. Luckily for me, my Lumia has both.
I think people are more anti-iOS than anti-WP really, but that's because not that many people are aware of Windows Phone currently. Thats changing in the UK though with wider network solution (especially O2) and all the advertising on the telly.

I tend to recommend either WP or iOS to people, depending on their needs and budget - not sure there are many people in the world who would be served better by Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05