Hostility Towards Windows Phone

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure that we are all aware of this, but why is there so much hostility towards windows phone. I mean, I was on the verge the other day and they made an article about blackberry and I swear one of the first comments on it was WP sucks!

I understand that its not for everyone, but people don't seem to troll on BB half as much as WP, especially when it comes to android users, I have no problem with them thinking android is superior, thats their choice, but they always have to be the first one to insult windows phone. I just don't get it, its like they're all scared that wp might actually be a legitimate competitor to both iOS and android! I mean all three platforms have their merits, and while I personally don't like android, I don't just go and say "android sucks...have fun with your laggy,unstable, OS, losers!"

The reason why I'm bringing this up was when I was at school the other day. Let me just preface it by saying that I'm and electrical engineering major, so of course we are all into technology and phones and such. I showed my friend my new phone (the htc 8x) and he thought it was cool. Another guy sitting next to us liked the design of it and said, cool phone, and then I showed him it was a windows phone and then he said"I'm sorry you have a windows phone". He was an android user. Then I actually showed him the OS and he walked away impressed. Every time I show someone using android a windows phone, they are always like "cool, its so smooth, I wish my phone ran that fast.."

I'm not saying that my feelings are hurt, because its an OS platform, which people tend to forget when they treat it like a religion, but people out there, especially fandroids seem to get really offended or upset when you don't like android..its kinda funny. Why do you think there is such hostility towards wp?

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
they still think of MSFT as it was in the 90s--ie doing its own thing irrespective of feedback. then again, feedback was also far less instant and far less public than it is today. All in all, everyone here knows that most people think it is cool to come down on MSFT. so wp is obviously associated with MSFT so also gets the anger that this generation has. the irony is palpable given that google and apple have both done far more evil stuff than MSFT did in the best (or worst) of times.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
WP is just the new kid and the haters will hate and some hate is justified. However I wouldn't think too much of those hating just to hate. WP is growing and will be just fine. I'm switching from Android to WP8 and I too had some "hate" for WP7, but have learned the errors of my ways since then. I find pluses/minuses for all OS phones/tablets/PCs. As long as each manufactures takes each constructive criticism and makes it productive, then we will always win.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I was just saying this the other week, I guess I'm not the only one who noticed.

I don't know why it happens, maybe because iOS is so successful or because they got tired of making fun of Apple they needed to find something else to hate on. That something else being Windows Phone. Some people haven't even tried it. Their judgements are based on what someone else told them, what they read in an article, or what "everyone else" thinks.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
It is annoying reading comments on any WP related piece on any site since the majority of comments will be those bashing WP/MS. Like with Windows and stale BSOD jokes, with WP it's always something like "all 5 WP users" or how WP is the next Kin.

iOS fans hate on WP because of their hate of MS and lack of knowledge/ignorance on anything MS related. Android fans seem to have more tech knowledge but they have some weird insecurity - anytime another OS has something good they need to repeat the market share numbers or how many cores their phones have. It's funny how when iOS was the big fish, Apple fans would always give Android fans a hard time. Now Android fans are doing the same to everyone else.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just let it slide. Some people do it just for the attention they can't get outside of cyberspace.

It's just so annoying to me because sometimes it'll happen on sites or forums where people are actually asking for advice and the Android fanboys will spread lies about Windows Phone and try to make it look bad to get that person to buy an Android phone instead.

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
A true technology enthusiasts appreciates every form of technology, no matter was OS, company, whoever makes it, etc. But not everyone is a technology enthusiasts. Many are just going based on what others say whether they are opinions or close people in their lives. Almost everyone in my family uses WP because I encouraged them but I never forced it upon them. Many are just uninformed but WP is definitely gaining traction...

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I mean, even though I am a MS ******, I am more of a technology agnostic, and I mean that I will give everything a try. I'be used linux,unix,iOS, webOS (RIP), Android (many flavors), WP, OSX, etc. I really do give everything a chance and I just don't like android. To me it just feels clunky, even compared to apple's iOS (which hasn't really changed much in like 5 years). I have some criticisms of WP and or MS too. But I don't troll and say that android is a piece of garbage and people shouldn't get it, I just don't care for it. BB is strangely, staying under the radar, I even really like their new BBOS10 and I didn't think I would based on the videos of it, but its actually a really well though out os. Its just funny to me how people get so upset and angry over OSes, all I ever get is excited because of all the cool technology that keeps coming out. I was excited when iOS, then android, then WebOS, then wp...etc. New technology always excites me, which is why I'm in college for electrical engineering...I always like to try new OSes and products because there are many different and cool ways to to the same thing. Ubuntu phone also looks cool too btw...

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I mean, even though I am a MS ******, I am more of a technology agnostic, and I mean that I will give everything a try. I'be used linux,unix,iOS, webOS (RIP), Android (many flavors), WP, OSX, etc. I really do give everything a chance and I just don't like android. To me it just feels clunky, even compared to apple's iOS (which hasn't really changed much in like 5 years). I have some criticisms of WP and or MS too. But I don't troll and say that android is a piece of garbage and people shouldn't get it, I just don't care for it. BB is strangely, staying under the radar, I even really like their new BBOS10 and I didn't think I would based on the videos of it, but its actually a really well though out os. Its just funny to me how people get so upset and angry over OSes, all I ever get is excited because of all the cool technology that keeps coming out. I was excited when iOS, then android, then WebOS, then wp...etc. New technology always excites me, which is why I'm in college for electrical engineering...I always like to try new OSes and products because there are many different and cool ways to to the same thing. Ubuntu phone also looks cool too btw...

You my friend, are a true technology enthusiast.
I hope we see an Ubuntu phone in the US or Firefox phone. That would be pretty cool I think.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah, the hardest part I think both firefox Os and ubuntu phone will have is getting hardware manufactures on board, i mean it was hard enough for MS to do and the size of their company and money vs mozilla or canononical is vast. Still, I haven't really seen much of firefox OS, but ubuntu phone, once they get it past beta and the final product out, looks like it might be really cool to play with and try out, it looks like the mashed up windows phone, android, and parts of webOS together...

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

You sound like me short of electrical vs. electronic engineering. I tease my Apple owning friends, but they know that I own every OS in about every device. That is where my name comes from. :cool:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
alpinestars1z is too. It looks like he's used every mobile platform except webOS and Symbian.

You know what? I actually did try out Symbian for a week with a Nokia E71. Thanks for reminding me!

I had to get it back in 2011 when Straight Talk didn't have a BYOD plan yet. What people did was buy the phone which came with the SIM, activate it, then put the SIM in any GSM phone and it'd work fine. I put it in an iPhone, until it got stolen. Then I used the E71 until I bought the Dell Venue Pro. A couple months later, I ended up trading in the E71 in that Smoked by Windows Phone challenge.

I do sort of miss that phone, mainly because of that metal build quality. It was amazing. I almost wanted to buy an E72, but I know I'd never really use it. I'd rather put that money towards a newer Nokia.

I also used webOS briefly on an HP Touchpad that I bought during the fire sale. Nice OS, but there wasn't really much I could do with it. It was kind of like the iPad for me, where I felt like I couldn't do as much as I could on a Windows tablet. I did like having Flash in the browser though. I ended up selling it a couple months later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel