Google demands removal of Youtube app!?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Google demands Microsoft removes YouTube Windows Phone app, cites lack of ads | The Verge

"Microsoft updated its own YouTube application for Windows Phone just over a week ago and Google isn't impressed. The Verge has obtained a copy of a cease and desist letter that Google has sent to Microsoft recently, demanding that Microsoft "immediately withdraw this application from the Windows Phone Store and disable existing downloads of the application by Wednesday, May 22, 2013." Microsoft's YouTube app for Windows Phone appears to have taken Google by surprise."

Last edited by a moderator:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Google sends C&D notice to Microsoft over youtube app

Microsoft updated its own YouTube application for Windows Phone just over a week ago and Google isn't impressed. The Verge has obtained a copy of a cease and desist letter that Google has sent to Microsoft recently, demanding that Microsoft "immediately withdraw this application from the Windows Phone Store and disable existing downloads of the application by Wednesday, May 22, 2013." Microsoft's YouTube app for Windows Phone appears to have taken Google by surprise.

and

Google's complaint centers on the lack of ads in Microsoft's YouTube app, something it claims is a direct violation of the terms and conditions of the company's YouTube API. The Verge has learned that Microsoft created the app without Google's consent with features that specifically prevent ads from playing.

Google demands Microsoft removes YouTube Windows Phone app, cites lack of ads | The Verge

Interesting times, we are going to see those two companies get increasingly hard-ball with each other.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google sends C&D notice to Microsoft over youtube app

What on earth was Microsoft thinking? Disabling ads not only means you're denying Google of their rightful revenue, since it's their service, but you're also denying income to those that make a living off of their YouTube videos. Seriously Microsoft?!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

I never thought I would see a fan of internet ads.

I wonder if all the people leaving comments on the Verge who are defending Google don't use adblock and actually click on ads?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if all the people leaving comments on the Verge who are defending Google don't use adblock and actually click on ads?

adblock. Thanks to it, I haven't seen an ad on the internet in 5 years.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

That's not the point. Content partners put their videos on YouTube knowing that Google will display ads on their videos for revenue or income. Big time company like Microsoft releases an app that bypasses ads means a grumpy Google, and more damaging, grumpy content partners. And you DONT want the later if you're the service provider.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
so goog says there's not enough traffic or market share with WP to warrant an app, so they don't build one. next MS builds one themselves and now goog says MS is taking bread out of babies mouths. must not be a lot of bread with such a small market share!

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

so your google chrome doesn't have adblock?
metrotube hasn't had ads for how long? where is the C&D on that?
On one hand Google says WP market share is too small that they don't bother developing for it or supporting it, on the other they send a C&D because this will block way too many ads and cause too much revenue damage for Google and content providers.
So either Google thinks WP market share is significant or will be significant or this is immaterial to them and they just want to continue the flame war.
What on earth was Microsoft thinking? Disabling ads not only means you're denying Google of their rightful revenue, since it's their service, but you're also denying income to those that make a living off of their YouTube videos. Seriously Microsoft?!

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's kinda annoying hanging to deal with this, but this is really Microsoft's fault for bypassing the ads. That seems to be the primary issue here. You can't be mad at Google for trying to protect their service and the content creators.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

In the time that ammarmalik2011 spends here on this board complaining about Microsoft he could be out there clicking ads for Google and making them money. Poor form.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

thank you squire777

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's more of the article... The part that explains why:

"Google's complaint centers on the lack of ads in Microsoft's YouTube app, something it claims is a direct violation of the terms and conditions of the company's YouTube API. The Verge has learned that Microsoft created the app without Google's consent with features that specifically prevent ads from playing. The lack of ads clearly hits Google's own revenues, but also those of its third-party content creators that are paid through the company's AdSense program. "Unfortunately, by blocking advertising and allowing downloads of videos, your application cuts off a valuable ongoing revenue source for creators, and causes harm to the thriving content ecosystem on YouTube," says Google's letter, addressed to Microsoft's Todd Brix."

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

funny enough this is what page said recently about Oracle: Page named the tech giant Oracle as one of the roadblocks to faster progress. "Money is more important to them" than having any kind of cooperation, he said. The two companies have clashed repeatedly over patents

hey don't want ads blocked, how about develop an app for WP? Oh wait I forgot, money is more important to you than any kind of co-operation as well. I guess Don't be Evil is out the door

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

so your google chrome doesn't have adblock?
metrotube hasn't had ads for how long? where is the C&D on that?
On one hand Google says WP market share is too small that they don't bother developing for it or supporting it, on the other they send a C&D because this will block way too many ads and cause too much revenue damage for Google and content providers.
So either Google thinks WP market share is significant or will be significant or this is immaterial to them and they just want to continue the flame war.
An app developed by Microsoft and MetroTube, two totally different things.
As for marketshare, that's only regarding developing the app by Google. It's got nothing to do with a big time content partner complaining about lost revenue.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

haha, double standards much?

if an app breaks terms of service it doesn't matter if its Microsoft or Metrotube, the terms have been broken. So google decides to shut down the Microsoft official app, while allowing numerous others exist for how long now?

I guess big time content partners don't complain about opportunity costs.....
An app developed by Microsoft and MetroTube, two totally different things.
As for marketshare, that's only regarding developing the app by Google. It's got nothing to do with a big time content partner complaining about lost revenue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05