Google demands removal of Youtube app!?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google sends C&D notice to Microsoft over youtube app

haha, double standards much?

if an app breaks terms of service it doesn't matter if its Microsoft or Metrotube, the terms have been broken. So google decides to shut down the Microsoft official app, while allowing numerous others exist for how long now?

I guess big time content partners don't complain about opportunity costs.....
You're assuming as if Google has made it clear they won't remove MetroTube. For all you know that day is just around the corner.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

You're assuming as if Google has made it clear they won't remove MetroTube. For all you know that day is just around the corner.

I reckon Google will respond by having it so accessing YouTube on a WP will redirect to the Google homepage and have every app removed.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Google seems to think it will confuse consumers about where tha product comes from n who made it lol I'm not confused, I know Microsoft made n app that's a million times better!!! Lets pull tha support for Windows n Xbox from under Google n c where that tickles em😉

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I got my eye on you, Pakistani for your attitude

Last edited:

titoyees

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow. So, Google doesnt develop for Windows Phone, and now, the alternative is going to be close.

I think than Google doesnt like the idea than now Windows Phone has the best Youtube app. Remember, they do their best on Android, then do a bad copy for iOS. And refuse others.

Just interesting

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
How many times do people have to post the same response before a few of you others get it? The only reason you get Google Services for free is because they monetize them through ads. Youtube, Gmail, Search, maps, and many others are given away for free by Google because the T.O.S. you agree to when you sign up for them says they make money from the ads.

Seriously? Are some of you basically saying Google should just offer all of that stuff for charity and give it away for free or else they're an evil company? That's basically what you're saying. Why don't you go order a $30 steak dinner and then express your outrage to the waiter for daring to bring a bill to your table for an encore?

Just... wow. My lack of faith in any hope for humanity gets renewed each and every day.
SMH

Here's an idea! If you don't like the idea of paying for something...

... don't use it! What a novel concept!!

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

I never thought I would see a fan of internet ads.

I wonder if all the people leaving comments on the Verge who are defending Google don't use adblock and actually click on ads?

What does following rules have anything to with being a fan of internet ads?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
How many times do people have to post the same response before a few of you others get it? The only reason you get Google Services for free is because they monetize them through ads. Youtube, Gmail, Search, maps, and many others are given away for free by Google because the T.O.S. you agree to when you sign up for them says they make money from the ads.

Seriously? Are some of you basically saying Google should just offer all of that stuff for charity and give it away for free or else they're an evil company? That's basically what you're saying. Why don't you go order a $30 steak dinner and then express your outrage to the waiter for daring to bring a bill to your table for an encore?

Just... wow. My lack of faith in any hope for humanity gets renewed each and every day.
SMH

I think the real problem is that Google intentionally crippled WP by not releasing a dedicated app. They were asked, and they refused. They have an app on iOS, purely because the user base is too sizeable to ignore.

Have you ever seen the Google homepage on a WP browser? Its ridiculously unoptimized and archaic. That's intentional. You cant access Google Maps either, and they claim that's due to restrictions of the OS, but that's been proven to be completely untrue. Theyre more than capable of issuing proper Google services for WP, but they don't.

So MS have to come along and develop alternatives and then Google **** and moan.

I'm beginning to dislike Google more and more these days.

"Don't be evil" my ***.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the real problem is that Google intentionally crippled WP by not releasing a dedicated app. They were asked, and they refused. They have an app on iOS, purely because the user base is too sizeable to ignore.

Have you ever seen the Google homepage on a WP browser? Its ridiculously unoptimized and archaic. That's intentional. You cant access Google Maps either, and they claim that's due to restrictions of the OS, but that's been proven to be completely untrue. Theyre more than capable of issuing proper Google services for WP, but they don't.

So MS have to come along and develop alternatives and then Google **** and moan.

I'm beginning to dislike Google more and more these days.

"Don't be evil" my ***.

Google is not beholden to automatically make their services available. It's called business. They're not a public service provider.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Google is not beholden to automatically make their services available. It's called business. They're not a public service provider.

While true, they should just tell MS either yes or no. This is a one day affair Google has dragged out over a year. Not even MS pulled these types of petty stunts back in the day.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
While true, they should just tell MS either yes or no. This is a one day affair Google has dragged out over a year. Not even MS pulled these types of petty stunts back in the day.
Why does Google have an obligation to tell Microsoft their business plans? They are competitors, what hurts Microsoft is good for Google and vice-versa.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I understand that it's "just business", but it's a bit low.
They don't seem to have a problem with the multitude of other YouTube apps on the WP store or the PLETHORA on Android and iOS that candidly allow you to DL videos for offline use and/or distribution/ mp3 rip.

I totally get that the YouTube app infringes on a few of their policies and doesn't allow them to collect ad revenue, but that could be easily amended. Why not just quietly ask Microsoft to implement ads and remove the ability to DL videos instead of making a very public song and dance about it? Google is happy, so is MS and so are the WP userbase.

No matter how you spin it, I'll still believe it to be a petty move by a multi-billion dollar company. Then again Ms are no better with their particularly gleeful statement on the matter following Google's request. I wonder how that cease and desist letter got leaked, on the day of Google's I/O?

At the end of the day, the consumers lose out as two bloated behemoths duke it out. Again.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I understand that it's "just business", but it's a bit low.
They don't seem to have a problem with the multitude of other YouTube apps on the WP store or the PLETHORA on Android and iOS that candidly allow you to DL videos for offline use and/or distribution/ mp3 rip.

I totally get that the YouTube app infringes on a few of their policies and doesn't allow them to collect ad revenue, but that could be easily amended. Why not just quietly ask Microsoft to implement ads and remove the ability to DL videos instead of making a very public song and dance about it? Google is happy, so is MS and so are the WP userbase.

No matter how you spin it, I'll still believe it to be a petty move by a multi-billion dollar company. Then again Ms are no better with their particularly gleeful statement on the matter following Google's request. I wonder how that cease and desist letter got leaked, on the day of Google's I/O?

At the end of the day, the consumers lose out as two bloated behemoths duke it out. Again.

Perhaps bit many of the people expressing these sentiments would do well to engage in a memory exercise back to MS in the 90's. There's no doubt whatsoever that if MS were not currently knocked off of their previously enjoyed pedestal they'd be doing the exact same thing. Let me know when I can install it on a z10.
If you think for one minute ms would put Office on android or iOS if either were at 3% market share you're kidding yourselves

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps bit many of the people expressing these sentiments would do well to engage in a memory exercise back to MS in the 90's. There's no doubt whatsoever that if MS were not currently knocked off of their previously enjoyed pedestal they'd be doing the exact same thing. Let me know when I can install it on a z10.
If you think for one minute ms would put Office on android or iOS if either were at 3% market share you're kidding yourselves
Totally agreed there, don't think for one second I believe MS to be some sort of white Knight.
But the difference between your analogy and Google's "free" services is that Office is a paid-for-product and/or something MS could use as leverage to draw consumers to their platform. Thing is, there's thousands of viable alternatives that exist, not really the case for YouTube, which is the go-to source for videos, bar none. Google could still make their buck off of MS's platform from ad revenue, though MS wouldn't exactly make a mint from Office, especially if they were charging regular Office prices in the midst of all the other cheaper or free doc editors present on Droid and iOS.

(Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that MS were strongly considering bringing Ofiice to other OSes)

Back to the other scenario; if MS had a shot at hurting the competition, they'd capitalize on that immediately, I am not disputing that. It's just they're lagging behind and they're the underdog, and I'm all for a competitive and varied industry. The more choice the better, it keeps vendors on their toes. Anything that could bring WP closer to striking a balance between the platforms is what I'm looking for. Clearly, it's in Google's best interests to do the opposite, but at least allow your opposing number to hack together some sort of alternative if you blatantly refuse to do so. That's anti-consumer, something both Google and MS have had many brushes with.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

SMH

I sure as hell hope you don't have any ad blockers on your computer otherwise you would be a total hypocrite. I'm sure those webmasters who place ads on their sites would like some revenue as well.

I'm sure with their $900 shares they must be taking a big hit from losing some ad revenue.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Totally agreed there, don't think for one second I believe MS to be some sort of white Knight.
But the difference between your analogy and Google's "free" services is that Office is a paid-for-product and/or something MS could use as leverage to draw consumers to their platform. Thing is, there's thousands of viable alternatives that exist, not really the case for YouTube, which is the go-to source for videos, bar none. Google could still make their buck off of MS's platform from ad revenue, though MS wouldn't exactly make a mint from Office, especially if they were charging regular Office prices in the midst of all the other cheaper or free doc editors present on Droid and iOS.

(Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that MS were strongly considering bringing Ofiice to other OSes)

Back to the other scenario; if MS had a shot at hurting the competition, they'd capitalize on that immediately, I am not disputing that. It's just they're lagging behind and they're the underdog, and I'm all for a competitive and varied industry. The more choice the better, it keeps vendors on their toes. Anything that could bring WP closer to striking a balance between the platforms is what I'm looking for. Clearly, it's in Google's best interests to do the opposite, but at least allow your opposing number to hack together some sort of alternative if you blatantly refuse to do so. That's anti-consumer, something both Google and MS have had many brushes with.

They're not free though. They're monetized through ads, which is a different way of collecting money from users but still collecting money nonetheless.

I sure as hell hope you don't have any ad blockers on your computer otherwise you would be a total hypocrite. I'm sure those webmasters who place ads on their sites would like some revenue as well.

I could easily counter that statement with "I sure hope 100% of these people complaining have never used an unlicensed version of Windows or Office or any software for that matter". I think we can both agree on the odds of that being true.

bazinga!

I'll tell you what: How about if I block ads AND use unlicensed software? Do they cancel each other out, making me fair and neutral again? lol j/k :winktongue:

The above latter is meant as a joke. I have to now add these disclaimers to my posts every time I'm kidding because of an ongoing complaint filed with the MN administration.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Completely invalid comparison. MS isn't asking Google to put anything on WP. MS is not asking Google for a second of their engineering staffs time or any other kind of notable effort, whereas porting Office to another platform represents an enormously expensive undertaking.

This is purely a legal matter. Ending it involves nothing more than signing a standardized legal agreement and Google mailing MS a pre-existing document on how to use some pre-existing YouTube APIs.

I'd have been left with more respect for Google if they had just denied MS those rights on day one and been done with the matter. This year-long back and forth just seems petty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs