The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-11-2013 10:03 PM
58 123
tools
    Microsoft has violated the TOS no question about it, however the issue that I see is that across iOS, Android, blackberry, WP7/8, Win8 and pretty much all other OS's in the market the are 10's of 1,000s of YouTube apps which are also violating the TOS. Where I see Google/Youtube getting into trouble is that they are singling out MSFT with C&D order even after MSFT has requested access to the API's which can and will be classed as anti-competitive if it ever reaches the court or alternatively all the other developers will get C&D orders however this isn't exactly going to keep their content provider happy.
    stmav likes this.
    05-17-2013 05:13 AM
    I hate to tell you this, but a TOS means squat in court. It really does. And other browsers were completely accessible from Windows via download. You don't see my point because your trying to hard to believe Google is in the right and it's perfectly ok for them to do what they did. I'm telling you, legally, it is not. MS found out the hard way, and they setup Google to be in the same boat they were in.
    You appear to be in the tech law system, I'll just take your word for it if that's the case
    05-17-2013 07:10 AM
    I hate to tell you this, but a TOS means squat in court. It really does.
    For consumers that may be true (idk), but we are talking about TOS between two huge international companies. I have a hard time believing that TOS agreements between two such companies mean squat in court. Are you sure?
    05-17-2013 08:26 AM
    Well I have filed an antitrust complaint with the justice department. Anyone can do this when they believe a company is breaking the law.

And when a company is clearly dominant in both mobile (78%+) and community video (Youtube - 95%+), the only way to experience a premium Youtube experience should not be on an Android phone. By not providing APIs and actively denying access to its services from a monopolistic position, Google is being anti-competitive. The Google web maps fiasco is another example of this behavior.

I suggest that others also complain to the government if you disagree with Google's actions and its potential impact on your Windows Phone experience.
    05-17-2013 12:04 PM
    imo, Google is "mad" because MS kinda hurt their ego when they launched the Youtube app WITHOUT the ads!
    then Google cries "omg you removed the ads, we gonna lose important revenue bla bla bla" and sends a C&D letter to MS lol
    also they didn't like that MS enabled video downloads!

BUT there are LOTS of 3rd party apps that allow video downloads (and i guess doesen't play ads before videos) and Google never cared about them...well, obviously because small 3rd party devs aren't big and important enough to bother them...but MS is lol

i'm pretty sure the app won't be removed from store but MS will enable ads and remove video downloads...why they didn't do this from start? i guess it's pretty obvious lol
    this way Google gets happy receiving their ad revenue and WP users gets happy with MS amazing Youtube app lol ... or at least i hope so .-. i guess we'll find out next wednesday, when the deadline for MS removing the app expires!
    05-17-2013 05:54 PM
    For consumers that may be true (idk), but we are talking about TOS between two huge international companies. I have a hard time believing that TOS agreements between two such companies mean squat in court. Are you sure?
    Contracts of any type can be annulled in court if they violate the law, including anti-competition laws. In other words, Google can right a TOS stating any other company using their services must give over their first born children, but the courts are going to annul them. The simple skinny is, if Google is working in a monopolistic fashion and preventing competition that should be reasonably allowed, the courts are going to ignore their TOS.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    05-17-2013 07:47 PM
    Google just needs a whambulance.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-18-2013 12:08 AM
    My 2 cents.

Google is not mad. It's simply protecting their business, as someone has stated here.

Now, I'm moving away from google services. I 'm trying the alternatives. They may improve as well (user base and experience) if we give our support. E.g. Vimeo (youtube alternative), Here or Bing maps (google maps alternative).

As the alternatives grow (windows phone ecosystem and its apps), google won't be able to easily alienate some of their users without loosing significantly.

Now, it's our task to support such growth (as android users have supported google ecosystem when it was initially combating iOS for user base).

Jeez, I'm feeling patriotic today, for Windows Phone. Cheers..
    Last edited by rianash; 06-11-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: grammar
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-11-2013 10:03 PM
58 123