Is Google mad?

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
And this is what percentage of the overall market for smart phones?

Last report I read, WP was sitting somewhere around 3% market share, with Android upwards of 70%. WP is certainly growing fast at the moment, but it's starting from a low base. So as I said before, Google will probably not be worried about annoying somewhat less that 3% of potential users (I say somewhat less because not all WP users will have or want to use Google services, and a certain percentage that do use some of the Google offerings like YouTube will be happy with what's available on WP at the moment).

Then why worried about revenue from that tiny market share. Honesty, as OP posted many 3rd party apps can't show the ads because of Google's api limitations. Release the damn app or let MS use the matadata or just shut the f up....It's not about protecting ToC, honesty, Google even don't care about beneficiary of ad revenue, it's about hating MS.....

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Because what WP could currently potentially add to Google's revenues and profit margins is a drop in the ocean. Google has its eye on the future. If it can stifle WP in the short term it hampers Microsoft's play to become an effective multi-platform cloud services platform. It's not about WP, it's about the backend services that people use. Google makes its money from the data it collects from people using its services. MS is trying to compete in this market. MS would like everyone to use Bing, Outlook.com, SkyDrive etc. Google would like everyone to use Google Search, Gmail, Drive, etc. Google knows that allowing MS to get more than toe-hold in the smartphone market means MS has greater leverage to draw users into the MS ecosystem in the longer term. MS knows that having easy access to Google's services in the short term will make it easier for people to switch to WP, which will allow them to build market share and therefore build leverage to migrate them to MS services in the future.

Hence the current head-butting match.

So what happened to " Don't be evil" slogan lol.... Here, MS just trapped Google in its own cage.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
It appears to me that Microsoft was baiting Google by releasing the app and anticipated this kind of public response so Microsoft could call out Google again on their unwillingness to throw Microsoft a bone. Notice how MS took advantage of Larry Paige talking about interoperability and referenced that in their public reply today. Well played by MS.

I agree with you. I think MS did it deliberately. And I support it. Its a good way to put google in the spotlight. If people protest Googles uncooperative behaviour, it might lead to some resolution of the YouTube issue.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
So what happened to " Don't be evil" slogan lol.... Here, MS just trapped Google in its own cage.

Microsoft certainly did. And it was a very smart move. Which I think highlights that Google don't have a monopoly on playing 'hard ball'.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
...It's not about protecting ToC, honesty, Google even don't care about beneficiary of ad revenue, it's about hating MS.....

I completely agree that it's not about protecting T&C. But it's not about hating MS either. It's about one thing - business.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
These asshats (Google) need to learn.

I've had a low-moderate hatred of Google and that's just risen, I bet if Microsoft's YouTube app is removed, Google will make one which will be crap.

Natrox

May 14, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft is breaking the Youtube TOS with their app, Google has every right to send them a cease and desist. That's just the way it is, and any company would probably do the same, Microsoft included.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's even more hilarious than it should be because Larry Page just talked about cooperation between competitors to improve technology at I/O.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft is breaking the Youtube TOS with their app, Google has every right to send them a cease and desist. That's just the way it is, and any company would probably do the same, Microsoft included.

My understanding is that they haven't. All third party apps work the same way as MS. It appears they're picking on MS.

Second, I really wonder what will happen to Android if Samusng decides to drop it as it's main OS. The #1 reason that Android is doing well is due to Samsung. Google should be looking to make other OS apps just in case Android tanks in the next couple of years, which is a possibility.

Final note, I am really tired of the IT wars. I wish they'd all grow up and work together to create a better experience for us all. I just want the to be able to choose what's best for me as a consumer. All this petty nonsense it tiring.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

That's exactly what MS wanted and Google fell in trap. You should read the reply of MS,it was well executed plan....

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with whatever Google does to WP platform. That's justified for any normal business. However, I'm not ok for Google to pretend somehow they are morally above all other business. 'Do no evil' my @$$. Bunch of Hippocrates!

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what MS wanted and Google fell in trap. You should read the reply of MS,it was well executed plan....

If this was just a MS trap, then they did a good job.

How do you figure? If Google decides to dig in their heels and deny the API, then what? Youtube for WP gets shut down, that's what. The public outcry will be weak because of the 3% WP marketshare, and all the news stories will have a field day sensationalizing how MS and Google had a "showdown" and MS lost.

Picking a fight you can't win because 1. Google is in the legal right and 2. They can simply shut off access to Youtube from their end if MS doesn't comply is hardly what I would call tactically sound. And definitely not clever either. It was a blunder. If MS gets to keep Youtube as it is right now in defiance of Google and without their permission, I'll eat my hat on Youtube (which you'll be able to see if that happens btw)

lol.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
How do you figure? If Google decides to dig in their heels and deny the API, then what? Youtube for WP gets shut down, that's what. The public outcry will be weak because of the 3% WP marketshare, and all the news stories will have a field day sensationalizing how MS and Google had a "showdown" and MS lost.

Picking a fight you can't win because 1. Google is in the legal right and 2. They can simply shut off access to Youtube from their end if MS doesn't comply is hardly what I would call tactically sound. And definitely not clever either. It was a blunder. If MS gets to keep Youtube as it is right now in defiance of Google and without their permission, I'll eat my hat on Youtube (which you'll be able to see if that happens btw)

lol.

So why don't YouTube get it so if anyone tries to access YT or any Google service from their phone it just redirects to a HTTP 403 page? I think Google are actually scared, but they make it look as though they're not.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So why don't YouTube get it so if anyone tries to access YT or any Google service from their phone it just redirects to a HTTP 403 page? I think Google are actually scared, but they make it look as though they're not.

I'd assume it's because they gave ms a may 22 deadline to comply. I can't see Google being scared, what leverage does MS have to force Google to do anything? All of Google's services are web based and they have a titanic grip on smartphone market share. MS can't leverage the PC against them because they're still under the constraints of the massive anti trust ruling that has tied their hands from trying that again for decades now.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss