Does Windows Phone even have a chance anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Its interesting to me how I see a thread like this posted every time Windows Phone has a big announcement. Usually posted by someone with obvious Android. or IOS bias like the OP of this thread. Obviously there is room for a three that is WP and there is even room for a 4&5. Not ever person is going to like the same thing. We need choices in smartphones competition helps the bottom line. We all benefit from this. Samsung makes some compelling hardware but Android is rough to use, can you have to many options? My mother in law doesn't need 5 ways to set the volume on her phone it to confusing to her. She gets frustrated the starts to hate her phone. Like it or not people she represents the majority smart phone users. We are the minority here discussing this topic. Most people using Android devices don't know how to use 50% of the options available and never will. This is where iPhone came in and stole the show with a simple easy to use OS. IOS needs a refresh its getting old and tired don't get me wrong iPhones have some of the best apps they steel the show with options and some of the things they do and it is done in a very simple easy way. The icon launchers over a background with no real information added approach is bland.

Windows Phone steps in with a simple easy to use OS. The MS store is growing with a building app market. Microsoft made into the OS some simple and easy ways to keep in touch with family and friends. The 10% discussing this will have to get used to some things on WP things they miss from other OS's. Its simple WP doesn't do that, its not needed, its too confusing the average consumer wants a simple easy fluid phone experience. I don't think the question here should be "Does Windows Phone even have a chance anymore?" what the question should be is "When will WP be #2"

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Its interesting to me how I see a thread like this posted every time Windows Phone has a big announcement. Usually posted by someone with obvious Android. or IOS bias like the OP of this thread. Obviously there is room for a three that is WP and there is even room for a 4&5. Not ever person is going to like the same thing. We need choices in smartphones competition helps the bottom line. We all benefit from this. Samsung makes some compelling hardware but Android is rough to use, can you have to many options? My mother in law doesn't need 5 ways to set the volume on her phone it to confusing to her. She gets frustrated the starts to hate her phone. Like it or not people she represents the majority smart phone users. We are the minority here discussing this topic. Most people using Android devices don't know how to use 50% of the options available and never will. This is where iPhone came in and stole the show with a simple easy to use OS. IOS needs a refresh its getting old and tired don't get me wrong iPhones have some of the best apps they steel the show with options and some of the things they do and it is done in a very simple easy way. The icon launchers over a background with no real information added approach is bland.

Windows Phone steps in with a simple easy to use OS. The MS store is growing with a building app market. Microsoft made into the OS some simple and easy ways to keep in touch with family and friends. The 10% discussing this will have to get used to some things on WP things they miss from other OS's. Its simple WP doesn't do that, its not needed, its too confusing the average consumer wants a simple easy fluid phone experience. I don't think the question here should be "Does Windows Phone even have a chance anymore?" what the question should be is "When will WP be #2"

Couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've often questioned whether the market will allow there to be room for a #3 or 4 just going by how we've seen the computer industry unfold over the past couple of decades. It's pretty much nailed shut between Windows and MacOS. Linux after all this time never has been able to reach the marketshare of that duopoly. I think all of the "other" desktop OS's combined only reach about 2% currently

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft usually garners success by waiting for the competition to screw up. The XBox 360 took over because the PS3 was hard to develop for, as an example.

I think the shine is wearing off Apple. They're starting to get a lot of negative commentary about their stores and genius bar's who can no longer help customers. Their OS looks dated and ugly. The phones are too small for how people are using phones these days, etc. I'd say if Apple doesn't announce something this fall, a major OS redesign and larger displays on phones they're going to start losing market share.

Given the quality of the Nokia phones, there is a chance for Microsoft to pick up those shifts... rather than them going to Android. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Right now the problem is it's lacking too many features, things that phones have had for years, along with apps. This is improving with WP8, but I'm not sure it's fast enough.

The way Microsoft dominated the web browser was because Netscape's code base was so poorly done they couldn't respond to changes fast enough. So IE won. then they sat on their thumbs and let Mozilla rewrite the browser and suddenly IE couldn't respond to changes fast enough. But then Google came along with Chrome and doubled down on development efficiency again. Google's developers are smart, and while I suspect Apple's problem right now is a bloated code base I don't think Android suffers the same problem.

MinnesotaSteve

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've often questioned whether the market will allow there to be room for a #3 or 4 just going by how we've seen the computer industry unfold over the past couple of decades. It's pretty much nailed shut between Windows and MacOS. Linux after all this time never has been able to reach the marketshare of that duopoly. I think all of the "other" desktop OS's combined only reach about 2% currently

The reality is the OS has never been important.

It's the apps.

It's something Apple learned the hardway with the desktop, and why their mobile position is still strong.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Same here. I'd like to think there is room for a #3 and even a #4 and #5. I hope Dave is right, but I'm ever more sceptical. I just don't see developers supporting that many uniquely different ecosystems, and I think the ecosystems are what will ultimately decide each platforms fate.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Google's developers are smart, and while I suspect Apple's problem right now is a bloated code base I don't think Android suffers the same problem.

I don't know about iOS, but the Android code base is almost entirely out of control at this point. As a result, Google tends to avoid alterations to the OS as much as possible. Most of Google's efforts go into the apps that are distributed along with the OS (Maps, Google Now, etc) and ecosystem integration.

That is the exact opposite of what Microsoft is doing, who continue to reengineer the lowest levels of the OS, while not paying as much attention to the user facing features.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
No there's no hope for windows phone we can go and cry now.
But seriouslly, you think android came from nowhere ? It was a **** which was bullied by symbian and iOS alot, i never expect android to take off.
Windows phone has bigger growth rate then android has and have now, doesn't it show you anything ?
Windows phone will take off, but the question is will it be as popular as android? Or it will always stay as underdog...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
No there's no hope for windows phone we can go and cry now.
But seriouslly, you think android came from nowhere ? It was a **** which was bullied by symbian and iOS alot, i never expect android to take off.
Windows phone has bigger growth rate then android has and have now, doesn't it show you anything ?
Windows phone will take off, but the question is will it be as popular as android? Or it will always stay as underdog...

With iOS getting a flatter and modern UI and Android which seems to go towards modern too... MS needs to hurry and push it more. Nokia is doing most of the Marketing and don't even count on HTC or Samsung to make an effort for WP.

and most importantly. MS needs to renew its image. Most people despise Microsoft and would welcome its death with open arms. They don't like it because they have been taught to dislike it by journalists and companies like Apple.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think they did a great job with renewing their image. The Surface commercials are a little odd, but they've put a fresh spin on their brand. Its also not yet "the end" :)

Its not working. WP is okay, no one hates it, but if you look at most forums you'll see that Microsoft is hated by most. Most of them uses old arguments stated in Mac VS PC ads or the blue screen of death(I remember when it happened to me in 2000 or 2001, it was my fault. It never happened since then) or some other crappy argument. MS is not yet a serious competitor for most and many of them believe RIM is in a better position. News sites are enthusiastic about BB's poor numbers,but are highly critical of whatever sale number Microsoft releases.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Its not working. WP is okay, no one hates it, but if you look at most forums you'll see that Microsoft is hated by most. Most of them uses old arguments stated in Mac VS PC ads or the blue screen of death(I remember when it happened to me in 2000 or 2001, it was my fault. It never happened since then) or some other crappy argument. MS is not yet a serious competitor for most and many of them believe RIM is in a better position. News sites are enthusiastic about BB's poor numbers,but are highly critical of whatever sale number Microsoft releases.
I believe much of that has to do with the fact that many people see Microsoft products as something they are forced to use for work or school. I believe that if Apple products had been the predominant computers in the workplace and in school, people would dislike Apple products just as much as they dislike Microsoft products.

For example, how many people enjoy reading books by Hemingway, Steinbeck, etc? Most people would probably say they were "forced" to read those books in high school and/or university and did not enjoy them as much as books by James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, or Dean Koontz.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
To add to Laura, Microsoft skills do serve a purpose. How many job descriptions want familiar with Office as part of the requirement? Quite a few. I have yet to see one looking for familiar with chrome and iTunes. I don't think MS is on it's last legs just yet. Does it have to catch up a lot in the mobile world? Yes, very much so. And I think they are aware of that. We'll just have to see what they do.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
To add to Laura, Microsoft skills do serve a purpose. How many job descriptions want familiar with Office as part of the requirement? Quite a few. I have yet to see one looking for familiar with chrome and iTunes. I don't think MS is on it's last legs just yet. Does it have to catch up a lot in the mobile world? Yes, very much so. And I think they are aware of that. We'll just have to see what they do.

True. MS is far from falling into oblivion, but they need to fasten the pace a little bit. MS cannot rely on Nokia to do all the promotion. They need to step up their game IMO

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
How did you pull this off? I presume the attachment makes it able to accept a SIM card? If so I would love that for my iPod Touch. Be nice to have that option for when my Nokia dies.

Yup, the attachment can accept a sim card, it is secured at the ipod touch's bottom, and looks exactly like an iphone. My brother bought the case (really cheap case according to him, not the ones posted online) in one of the Chinese sellers in a thrift mall.

ETA: Found something online..The case we used is similar to this http://www.peel520.net/

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Yup, the attachment can accept a sim card, it is secured at the ipod touch's bottom, and looks exactly like an iphone. My brother bought the case (really cheap case according to him, not the ones posted online) in one of the Chinese sellers in a thrift mall.

ETA: Found something online..The case we used is similar to this http://www.peel520.net/

Thankyou for the link, I never knew you could get things like that -- this is why I love WP Central. I always learn something new everyday. 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss