'Is that the new Galaxy S4???'

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...someone actually asked me that yesterday! It was then followed up by 'it looks really smart', to which I replied 'actually it's a Nokia Lumia 920' - yellow, for anyone curious, lol!

After I told him that...SILENCE! Never asked a single follow up question and just totally lost interest! Usually I do a half an hour WP demo to help the cause...but yesterday...I DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER!

It got me thinking...how many people out there seriously just buy products without any questions about what it can and can't do? If that's the attitude of the masses...do we really stand a chance?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am just shocked. Really, really shocked.
Is this the first time this has happened to you? I've seen this a couple of times before, and it proves a few things.

The most important of which is we need to spread the wonders of WP to the four corners of the land.

That, and ads are effective.

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
our society is based on a bandwagon, i assume that having windows phone makes you different, but ive done maybe two demo's they were interested.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Initially I thought we really had a chance...a few people I knew including my cousin expressed great interest...now that interest has evaporated somewhat!

My cousin's main complaint was how laggy his Galaxy Note was...but he recently had an update and I have to say...it doesn't really lag anymore - although in my opinion it still looks tacky as hell.

I was so sure I had my mum convinced too...she went to the shop geared up and ready to grab a Nokia Lumia 620...came out with a Samsung android of some sort...not sure which one. When I asked, she replied 'the people at the shop told me this was better'!

When I went to purchase my 920 last year I got the same nonsense...because Nokia had stocking problems upon release. They almost felt sorry for me that I bought a Lumia!

It is by far (minus the epic clarity of my N8 photos) the best phone I have ever used! Smooth, fluid and fast!

Now this whole youtube app situation...it's like everyone has set there hopes on MS failing. Are we swimming against the tide and failing to accept it...or do we believe in windows phone because of it's merits? I like to believe it's the latter.

As far as the 'shortcomings', I have come to accept them and even applaud them a little. The back button combined with the window home button makes for one hell of an experience in my opinion.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I work with a few people who have iphones, I got the new HTC one when it came out (returned it) and no one was fussed. Bought my lumia and loads of people have asked what it's like and for me to show them/let them have a go on it. One guy was even looking at them the other day online as he was so interested.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
My dad was in a meeting once and he was doing something on his xperia ray (kinda small) and few people asked 'Is that the iPhone?' after he replied with 'no, its sony ericsson' they completely lost interest.
But now he installed Launcher8 onto his phone, and he's tricking people into thinking he has WP, and everyone is surprised and interested :D
When I got my xperia arc s, I took it trough the airport (about 2 weeks old, so it was still shiny), and of course I had to put it in the plastic box to be x-rayed, and one of the workers there was all like 'Oh man, that looks like such a cool phone, I have the iPhone and it's really boring' :D

driver_king

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
One of the quirks of owning a Windows Phone is that people often don't recognize anything beyond what they have seen on TV or from what people around them own. People asking about what sort of phone that we may own are unaware, not ignorant nor necessarily biased. The best approach is handling the question in stride and educating others about the phone you own. Telling others that you own the 'red AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8' is likely an overwhelming description that will not fail to dissuade another's interest in the phone. If you start off by leveling your introduction into the phone as the new Windows Phone from Nokia, you can more naturally end or continue the conversation about the phone of interest. Either the conversation will continue with further question, where you may feel free to educate on the merits of the phone OS and hardware and personal experience with the device, or the conversation ends more comfortably than a blank stare and an uneasy 'Oh, yeah. Okay!' That has been my experience thus far after owning my Lumia since launch. Information overload deflects interest. Just enough information is key.

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
This would happen all the time with my Zune HD. People would frequently ask 'Is that the new iPod Touch? Blame Microsoft's (and Nokia's) crappy marketing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss