Outlook.com/Messenger/Skype, too confusing....

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
So, I was rolling along just fine with my Hotmail/MSN Messenger account, and a separate Skype account. I know MS's intentions were to merge Skype into the MS Account and get rid of Messenger. After they discontinued Messenger, I seem to have lost all my Messenger contacts. I've since linked Skype.

What I don't understand, when I log into outlook.com, the Messaging pane only shows an old MSN style icon at the bottom in the "Connected to:". No Skype icon. In addition, I'm still able to "Invite people to messenger".
Question 1: What does it mean to invite someone to messenger that doesn't have a MS account? I sent my fiance an invite to her Gmail, and the invite didn't really say what to do.
Question 2: Why did I lose all the contacts I had in messenger, if it still seems to be working?
Question 3: Why can't I IM chat with Skype contacts?
Question 4: Why can't I IM chat with Skype contacts in WP8 messenger app? Seems only Facebook chat, SMS, and original MSN messenger chat work. Funny side note, after I invited my fiance's gmail to messenger, I can messenger her in WP8 messenger app, but it seems to go off into the ether somewhere.

I guess, this hole Skype/MSN messenger thing just seems like a gigantic mess. I just picked up the super cheap Lumia 521 to play around with WP8, but this whole chat thing is a real mess.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
In fact. What they have retired is not messenger service, only the desktop software to access that service. And Skype and messenger are still two separate services except sharing the same client on desktop. It's confusing and (may I say) bad design, but it is this way

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
In fact. What they have retired is not messenger service, only the desktop software to access that service. And Skype and messenger are still two separate services except sharing the same client on desktop. It's confusing and (may I say) bad design, but it is this way

That does certainly seem to be the case, they're still separate services, but that's not what their email "Important info about your Messenger account" on Jan 10th indicated
We are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together.

It's been more than 30 days since the transition, so the restore deleted contacts doesn't work for me any longer, and so all the messenger contacts are lost (not that it mattered, I rarely used it, but it's the principle that's got me upset here). If the messenger service is still around, I just don't understand why they got rid of the contacts.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
That does certainly seem to be the case, they're still separate services, but that's not what their email "Important info about your Messenger account" on Jan 10th indicated

It's been more than 30 days since the transition, so the restore deleted contacts doesn't work for me any longer, and so all the messenger contacts are lost (not that it mattered, I rarely used it, but it's the principle that's got me upset here). If the messenger service is still around, I just don't understand why they got rid of the contacts.

um.... In fact my messenger contacts are intact. I can see them on my windows phone.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
um.... In fact my messenger contacts are intact. I can see them on my windows phone.

That's great, all I know is that sometime in the past 6months or year, my complete hotmail contacts/messenger contacts were wiped out. I didn't really use my hotmail account much, but I've recently got a WP8 phone and have been put off by some of the stuff Google's been doing lately, and wanted to diversify. I originally thought it was just MSN contacts, but it was all contacts for hotmail as well. Not a big deal they're all gone, just annoying.

I, as well, can see the messenger contacts I've recently invited in the WP8 messaging app. It shows the messenger service is still running, which is in contradiction to the email MS sent out.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
That's great, all I know is that sometime in the past 6months or year, my complete hotmail contacts/messenger contacts were wiped out. I didn't really use my hotmail account much, but I've recently got a WP8 phone and have been put off by some of the stuff Google's been doing lately, and wanted to diversify. I originally thought it was just MSN contacts, but it was all contacts for hotmail as well. Not a big deal they're all gone, just annoying.

I, as well, can see the messenger contacts I've recently invited in the WP8 messaging app. It shows the messenger service is still running, which is in contradiction to the email MS sent out.

Have you checked the people hub (either online or on your phone) for your contacts?

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked the people hub (either online or on your phone) for your contacts?

Yeah... not there. I think it may have happened around the time they launched outlook.com. I remember logging in and thinking it odd I didn't have any contacts on the people page back then. I had to re-add my family members a while back, and those are the only contacts I had. I may have some old outlook backups from a few years ago that I could dust off and figure out how to import, but it doesn't really matter. I'm more amazed at the mess they've made of messenger and skype.

Lnin0

May 31, 2011
Visit site
ugg. It is so annoying. One of the benefits off a 'walled garden' is that you don't have a half dozen accounts. I want a SINGLE Microsoft account which I can manage my PC, tablet, Xbox, WP, email, contacts, Skype and messaging across. I get that I have to link a contact with an account outside of the walled garden such as Twitter or Facebook, but the fact I have to link seperate accounts for Skype and Messaging is ridiculous.

On top of that mess, when I use Skype and filter by Skype contacts I see double of everyone with a Skype + Messenger. The other option in Skype is to use my Contact list which pulls apart any linking I have made and displays Contacts + Skype + Messenger as different contacts.

Did I also mention you have to go to Skype for Skype chat messages but the 'messaging' hub lets you send/receive Messenger messages along with text and Facebook....so Facebook is integrated better than Microsoft's own product.

WTF! This should be 101 stuff when unifying your platforms.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I had to delete the Skype app from Windows 8 to avoid Microsoft merging my Skype and outlook.com accounts. I do not want this to happen, so I guess I will have to avoid all future Microsoft products. Good work Steve!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You should probably avoid Google products too since Google is trying to get all of their services under one user account.

Yes, I know. That probably limits what I will use Google for. But that's not a discussion for these forums. I don't want my Skype and outlook.com accounts merged. Who exactly does it benefit if I am forced to merge them?

So thanks Microsoft - you've given me a good reason not to buy your products. Nice work Steve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos