When I see Nokia devices named Lumia 920 and more recently the Lumia 925 and Lumia 928, I wonder how Nokia chose those names. Does Nokia have a particular method to name their devices because for my observation the numbers seem almost random to me, apart from the knowledge that the 9xx denotes that its a premium device.

Thinking a little about this I wondered what range of phones series I would offer and how I would name the devices if I had the privilege to do so. I initially had several ideas, but will share the one I thought would work the best.

Firstly I would start by having only four series of phones. I think 4 series of phones should be enough to cover most markets and scenarios.
    Series 6 (entry level)
    Series 7
    Series 8
    Series 9 (premium level).

So without being too radical and in keeping with the Lumia name I would start by naming the phones with the series the phones denotes, followed by a number denoting screen size and then a letter denoting the model. To demonstrate how this would work lets take a look at some recent Lumia phones.

Current Name My Name
    Lumia 920 Lumia 945a
    Lumia 928 Lumia 945b
    Lumia 925 Lumia 945c

What this tells me is that the Lumia 945a is a premium phone with a 4.5inch screen, and the a denotes that this is the first iteration of the phone in this series. The updated Lumia 928 would then become the Lumia 945b, also a premium device with a 4.5 inch screen but is newer than the 945a and so forth.

Another way to look at it is if Nokia introduce 2 new series 9 phones at the same time in future after the Lumia 945c, both with the same spec, though each with a different screen size of say 4.5inch and 4.8inches. The phones would then be the Lumia 945d and Lumia 948d.

Where I think my naming conventions works best is when thinking about the confusion I recently experienced with somonewhen talking about the Lumia 900 and Lumia 820. Consumers without knowledge of the Lumia range of phones assume the Lumia 900 is newer than the 820, and being a 9x series phone also assume it's much better in specs than a Lumia 820, though realistically, the two phone are similar in spec. With my naming convention, the Lumia 900 being the first device launched under the 9xx series would have become the 943a and the newer Lumia 820 would have become the Lumia 843b, the second device under the 8x series phones (Oops sorry forgot about the Lumia 810). From this we could see that the Lumia 843b is newer than the once premium 943a and at the very least know that the Lumia 843b is the second device launched under the 8x series.

Although I am not sold on the letters as it now makes the name a bit too technical sounding and long, I do like the thought of having a way to identify more about the name of the device such as screen size and how what iteration it is in its series. Another issue is then how do you name a device for specific carries. the Lumia 820 for say AT&T would have a internal produce code of 843a-ATT perhaps, though for clarity and consumer purposes, any carrier specific device would still carry the base product name.

I would be interested in hearing other peoples ideas. I am sure a lot of you are more creative than I and could come up with something better. Please dont flame me, Im just trying to spark interesting conversation through an idea that I was thinking too much about.

Dan.
    05-16-2013 10:27 PM
    Whoa. Naming the Lumias based on screen size makes the naming system rather complicated, though. I'm fine with the current system, though.

Regarding the last number(i.e. 920, 925, 928), I say we replace them with a three letter code denoting which carrier it's on.
    Like this: 920 (AT&T) -> 920- ATT; 925 -> 920-TMO; 928 -> 920-VZN

The catch? Each and every carrier has to advertise it as the 920.
    05-16-2013 10:44 PM
    When you consider that variants like 810, 822, 928 are US-specific, it's much more simpler situation for the rest of the world:

520, 620, 720, 820, 920 and now 925. Given how 925 is just a rehash of 920, the designation of Lumia 925 makes perfect sense. If they would make a device that would be a minor evolution of 820, it could be called 825. Nothing complicated going on here.
    05-16-2013 11:30 PM
    Nokia's naming system is much MUCH better than Sony or HTC's

HTC One, HTC One S, HTC One V, HTC One X, HTC One X+ (that seems like the correct order right, right?!)

Xperia, 10, Arc, Ray, U, J, S, Ion, T, Z, ZL? LMNOP? Eh?

See, Nokia is less confusing than all the rest besides Apple's iPhone.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    05-18-2013 12:07 AM