AT&T and Microsoft relationship slowing down?

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was just at my local AT&T store and they only had 2 Windows Phones out VS maybe 50-60 others. They are now hidden in the back.

3 months ago they had 5-8 models up front showcasing them nicely.

they are not going to sell like this.

My local Verizon now has a better Windows Phone display :(

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Noticed that too couple of days ago. WP no longer at the front row, instead tucked away in the back with no colorful models on display at all.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Noticed that yesterday with wife, because she wanted a new windows phone. All that was on display was a Nokia 920, 820 and HTC 8x. But then again, that's really the newest WP that are out right? So I wasn't really expecting the Focus S or older WPs to be on display.

dhack21

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I picked up my 820 less then a week ago and they had the 920, 820 and 8x on display
Sent from my Lumia using Board Express

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, AT&T needs some motivation. If sales were high first quarter with phones out front, they are going to be substantially lower this quarter.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The market moves so quickly and it seems like there's a new Android phone out every .492382 seconds. Naturally the carrier wants to highlight the "latest and greatest." I'm sure the Windows Phones will move back up once new hardware is released, but AT&T in particular hasn't gotten ANY new WP hardware since the initial WP8 release. That's one huge advantage Android has right now--the market gets flooded with these little low- and mid-range Android devices to keep sales moving in between the 6-12 month flagship release schedules. That's something that REALLY needs to start happening with WP. Nokia is making a nice effort with some of their smaller releases (520-720), but the US market isn't seeing much of that just yet. Hopefully this will improve as Nokia continues to pick up steam. Unfortunately the other major players in the game (HTC and Samsung) don't seem to be too interested in this though.

HoOGenghisB

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'll just hop on to this thread. I'm an AT&T customer (part of a family plan tied to the network) and currently assuming I'll remain with them. I'm trying to figure out what new windows phone they will be getting in the near future (I'll define that as within a 6 month period). I currently have a Samsung Focus Flash, which I don't think even has the 7.8 update available. Next month, I'm eligible for upgrade pricing and I see all these new WPs coming out for all the other carriers, but not even an upcoming announcement for AT&T. I guess the 920 isn't bad, but I was hoping for something a little less bulky, just my preference. Judging by the lack of discussion on any upcoming AT&T Windows phones, I'm figuring nobody really knows or cares too much?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'll just hop on to this thread. I'm an AT&T customer (part of a family plan tied to the network) and currently assuming I'll remain with them. I'm trying to figure out what new windows phone they will be getting in the near future (I'll define that as within a 6 month period). I currently have a Samsung Focus Flash, which I don't think even has the 7.8 update available. Next month, I'm eligible for upgrade pricing and I see all these new WPs coming out for all the other carriers, but not even an upcoming announcement for AT&T. I guess the 920 isn't bad, but I was hoping for something a little less bulky, just my preference. Judging by the lack of discussion on any upcoming AT&T Windows phones, I'm figuring nobody really knows or cares too much?
I think we will know more this summer. I'd expect something new at the latest this fall. By then the 920 will be a year old.

HoOGenghisB

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I think we will know more this summer. I'd expect something new at the latest this fall. By then the 920 will be a year old.

Ahh. Thanks for the response. I guess I'll wait for it, I just wish they would say something along the lines of what you just wrote to keep people like me from switching to Android.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ahh. Thanks for the response. I guess I'll wait for it, I just wish they would say something along the lines of what you just wrote to keep people like me from switching to Android.

I went 11 months before upgrading last time, since I was waiting to see what would be released. It isn't necessary to upgrade as soon as one is eligible.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When I went into get my yellow 920 they had the Lumia 920 and the 8x both out on the side display. Its not front and center when you come into the store but its more of the first phone you see on the right side of the store. Both phones were in yellow so they chose the brightest colors to showcase the phone. That said, I asked her did they sell alot of these phones and she said no this was her first time selling one. So idk

HoOGenghisB

May 26, 2013
Visit site
No, but sometimes you just want a new phone. I can wait thats not a problem, as long as I know that what I'm waiting for actually exists. If I were Nokia I would say, we aren't releasing any information about upcoming phones for AT&T, but there are plans for a WP. Just an acknowledgement to keep potential customers aware. It's not like Android, where it goes without saying that there will be new ones all the time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, but sometimes you just want a new phone. I can wait thats not a problem, as long as I know that what I'm waiting for actually exists. If I were Nokia I would say, we aren't releasing any information about upcoming phones for AT&T, but there are plans for a WP. Just an acknowledgement to keep potential customers aware. It's not like Android, where it goes without saying that there will be new ones all the time.
Have you heard of the Osborne Effect? Nokia doesn't want to kill sales of its current products by announcing new products too soon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If your upgrade was maybe 3 months ago, I would have upgraded from your focus flash, going into the summer and fall we should see a lot of new devices. The S4, the next iphone and the next lumia's, most likely this fall HTC should have something nice out as well.

My upgrade is in November and I might wait to upgrade until next spring but I haven't decided yet.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
This is completely normal all the phones are like 7 - 8 months old now, they weren't gonna stay their forever! Besides the new Nokia windows phone is rumored for early July so then marketing will pick up again!

HoOGenghisB

May 26, 2013
Visit site
If your upgrade was maybe 3 months ago, I would have upgraded from your focus flash, going into the summer and fall we should see a lot of new devices. The S4, the next iphone and the next lumia's, most likely this fall HTC should have something nice out as well.

My upgrade is in November and I might wait to upgrade until next spring but I haven't decided yet.

Yeah, mine is coming up in late June, so I was starting to poke around and see what's what. I could wait till the fall if thats when they are putting something out. Just want the latest one, hopefully not a mammoth size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05