Why did you go with WP8?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Nexus has been factory reset and listed on eBay, and I am now searching for a new smartphone.

iOS and Android have been ruled out. They are first and foremost content consumption devices centered around pushing content through iTunes and Google Play. Phone/communication functionality has obviously been tacked on as an afterthought.

I need a device that will keep me connected and allow me to communicate and get things done with the least amount of hassle and distraction. So it's now between BlackBerry and WP8 for me.

I do have experience with BB, but not WP8. So WP8 users, can you tell me why you went with WP8? What do you like and dislike about your phones?

Thanks in advance!

Zokudu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have an android tablet. Its fun on occasion but the tweaking you can do that some people tout as a feature I've always found to be a pain.

I don't like iOS. It just feels boring to me. WP feels fresh, modern, and fun without making me work to get that.

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
It only made sense to me, since I'm a Zune (now XBOX Music) subscriber, I use a Windows laptop with all my Office files on Skydrive (even my pictures), I use Outlook email, have all my contacts there, etc. Basically, it was the simplest way to have ALL my content ALWAYS with me on my phone. Seriously, I change devices quite often and I can have a new phone ready with all my info, files and media in less than 5 minutes.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I always hated android, for me it's just an ugly system that is based on iOS, the only difference in the devices is the more and more powerful hardware, the software part is way too inefficient. Even if this is not completely true, android isn't my thing, I dislike almost everything about it. And iOS, well, I got bored of it. It's fluid, looks nice and has awesome apps, but I wanted something different. In the end, I can do all the things relevant to me with iOS, android ir windows phone - but this time, windows phone did the best compromise between style, speed and efficiency.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
It should be a simple decision. On one hand you have a quickly shrinking ecosystem in BB. The other hand, a growing ecosystem in WP. BB/less choices, WP/more choices. BB/old timers phone, WP/becoming popular with all ages. No brainer!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I broke down and bought a smart phone not long after WP7 launched. I didn't want an iphone. Just not interested. Like, at all. I can't tell you why, but I just don't like them. I use my sister's or at work sometimes, and I don't enjoy it even a little bit. Just not an Apple guy, I guess. Decision came down to Captivate running android or this new windows phone thing. I had been hearing good things about it, so I left the at&t store with a new Samsung Focus. I've been hooked since.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I was pulled into WP8 because...I just liked the 620. That aside, I didn't like the way the other OSes are right now.
Symbian was my second choice, but you perfectly know how that turned out.
I like iOS, but the iPhone was too thin (and expensive) for me.
Android was stuck in the uncanny valley.
BB10 was still months away from being available (when I was buying my 620)

Now, I absolutely love the metro design language.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think your on two growing systems. Wp8 is smooth, stable, and organized. Organized in that it integrates everything together. It is amazing. I have never had it lock up or studder. In my experience that is very common and it has not. The 920, in my opinion, is one of the top phones out there period. What the OS brings is what is the best thing about wp8. Awesome phone! Out. By the way I do think bb10 is definitely going to do well. Qnx is is very powerful and stable. I would love to have a z10 or a q10 but I can't justify buying one in my brain while I have this Lumia. It's a bad deal.

mauricio borgarello

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
To be completely honest the reason I'm with WP8 is the Lumia 920!
The phone has been wonderful (my previous phone was a Sony Xperia S), from a hardware point of view (the build quality, the screen, the camera) and the software integration of Microsoft services (outlook, office, skydrive, bing translator, etc) and Nokia's (Maps, Drive, Music).
Really, if the 920 wasn't part of WP8 portfolio I'd be probably using an HTC One.
I do admit that WP8 although not perfect, surpassed my expectations, but for me it's always a combination of software and hardware, and the 920 (928/925) is a perfect match between the two aspects.

teebomus

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Looks great. Smooth, simple. Minimal. Also the ".not everyone has one" factor. And of course, webOS is toast now.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It works, everythings integrated and it has all i need at the moment and since i already own an x360 and have a live account it made sense to integrate it all together.

I also came up from windows mobile into wp7 and now wp8. When the original iphone was released i did think it was quite good and at the time it was in my opinion superior to other handsets. Unfortunately it now falls behind other OS's and apple need to do something major with their next version or they will start to lose more people.

Android i have never liked and it still now looks a mess. I think the issue is that it has so many different variations and you will never be guaranteed any updates, whereas microsoft set out specific device rules that people like HTC and Nokia had to follow (cpu, minimum memory etc)

At present i am quite happy with WP8's progress and unless they screw up big time i can see myself sticking with future versions.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies thus far. This is helpful!

What do you think about the virtual keyboard and typing experience on WP8?

Keyboard is sweet. Autocorrect takes a minute to get used to you, but then..... YUM!!!! I can hash put stuff in mere seconds, and once your "style" is recognized, you almost NEVER have to backspace.
But Talk to Text, that is frickin awesome too!! LOVE it when I'm around driving. DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE. Wait for a red light at the very least. :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Cos of Nokia, but outside Meego there was no other OS that would've even remotely interested me but WP, but still, mostly Nokia

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies thus far. This is helpful!

What do you think about the virtual keyboard and typing experience on WP8?
I have found it to be by far the best. It lacks features like swype but the stock keyboard is wonderful. The word prediction is amazing to the point where I can type one letter and use auto-suggested words to type the whole message. It corrects spelling the best of any OS I've used. It also suggests proper nouns like "Microsoft", "Apple", and even "Android" (as opposed to just plain dictionary words). It's a very clean and efficient way to type. Android felt like it was always in my way and iOS spell correction is a joke in comparison.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
XBox Live integration with games... Lol, it's rare I DL a game that doesn't support XBox Live.

Also was bored with iOS.... It's funny, but every once in a while, I get a little bored with WP, but then I change my theme color and rearrange/resize a few tiles and I'm happy again.

Oh, and the live tiles... As a part time developer, I like playing with my apps tile icons... On my Beer Knurd app, the back of the tile is upside (not sure I've noticed that on any other tiles). Right now I'm toying with how I want my "PIP" app's tile to look... So far, this is where I stand with it...

wp_ss_20130531_0002.jpg

Last edited:

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
WP8 is just too smooth and stable. My lumia 920 never crashed or rebooted, but i suffer from battery drains due to some bug installed apps or weak lte signal. I may have miss Real Racing 3, Temple Run 2/ Oz, Subway Surfer, but i can live with it i still have my nexus 7 when i get really bored.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs