The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-11-2013 12:26 AM
47 12
tools
    My Samsung Galaxy Nexus has been factory reset and listed on eBay, and I am now searching for a new smartphone.

iOS and Android have been ruled out. They are first and foremost content consumption devices centered around pushing content through iTunes and Google Play. Phone/communication functionality has obviously been tacked on as an afterthought.

I need a device that will keep me connected and allow me to communicate and get things done with the least amount of hassle and distraction. So it's now between BlackBerry and WP8 for me.

I do have experience with BB, but not WP8. So WP8 users, can you tell me why you went with WP8? What do you like and dislike about your phones?

Thanks in advance!
    05-30-2013 01:28 PM
    integrated skype

thats enough
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-30-2013 01:33 PM
    It works. Fast, fluid, no worries about malware, integrated OS, and it looks hella cool.

HTC 8X
    05-30-2013 01:51 PM
    I have an android tablet. Its fun on occasion but the tweaking you can do that some people tout as a feature I've always found to be a pain.

I don't like iOS. It just feels boring to me. WP feels fresh, modern, and fun without making me work to get that.
    05-30-2013 02:02 PM
    It only made sense to me, since I'm a Zune (now XBOX Music) subscriber, I use a Windows laptop with all my Office files on Skydrive (even my pictures), I use Outlook email, have all my contacts there, etc. Basically, it was the simplest way to have ALL my content ALWAYS with me on my phone. Seriously, I change devices quite often and I can have a new phone ready with all my info, files and media in less than 5 minutes.
    anon(6038817) and phatboy66 like this.
    05-30-2013 02:06 PM
    I always hated android, for me it's just an ugly system that is based on iOS, the only difference in the devices is the more and more powerful hardware, the software part is way too inefficient. Even if this is not completely true, android isn't my thing, I dislike almost everything about it. And iOS, well, I got bored of it. It's fluid, looks nice and has awesome apps, but I wanted something different. In the end, I can do all the things relevant to me with iOS, android ir windows phone - but this time, windows phone did the best compromise between style, speed and efficiency.
    X0LARIUM and anon(6038817) like this.
    05-30-2013 02:10 PM
    It should be a simple decision. On one hand you have a quickly shrinking ecosystem in BB. The other hand, a growing ecosystem in WP. BB/less choices, WP/more choices. BB/old timers phone, WP/becoming popular with all ages. No brainer!
    05-30-2013 02:36 PM
    I broke down and bought a smart phone not long after WP7 launched. I didn't want an iphone. Just not interested. Like, at all. I can't tell you why, but I just don't like them. I use my sister's or at work sometimes, and I don't enjoy it even a little bit. Just not an Apple guy, I guess. Decision came down to Captivate running android or this new windows phone thing. I had been hearing good things about it, so I left the at&t store with a new Samsung Focus. I've been hooked since.
    05-30-2013 08:59 PM
    I was pulled into WP8 because...I just liked the 620. That aside, I didn't like the way the other OSes are right now.
    Symbian was my second choice, but you perfectly know how that turned out.
    I like iOS, but the iPhone was too thin (and expensive) for me.
    Android was stuck in the uncanny valley.
    BB10 was still months away from being available (when I was buying my 620)

Now, I absolutely love the metro design language.
    05-30-2013 09:10 PM
    I think your on two growing systems. Wp8 is smooth, stable, and organized. Organized in that it integrates everything together. It is amazing. I have never had it lock up or studder. In my experience that is very common and it has not. The 920, in my opinion, is one of the top phones out there period. What the OS brings is what is the best thing about wp8. Awesome phone! Out. By the way I do think bb10 is definitely going to do well. Qnx is is very powerful and stable. I would love to have a z10 or a q10 but I can't justify buying one in my brain while I have this Lumia. It's a bad deal.
    05-30-2013 09:14 PM
    To be completely honest the reason I'm with WP8 is the Lumia 920!
    The phone has been wonderful (my previous phone was a Sony Xperia S), from a hardware point of view (the build quality, the screen, the camera) and the software integration of Microsoft services (outlook, office, skydrive, bing translator, etc) and Nokia's (Maps, Drive, Music).
    Really, if the 920 wasn't part of WP8 portfolio I'd be probably using an HTC One.
    I do admit that WP8 although not perfect, surpassed my expectations, but for me it's always a combination of software and hardware, and the 920 (928/925) is a perfect match between the two aspects.
    05-30-2013 09:36 PM
    Looks great. Smooth, simple. Minimal. Also the ".not everyone has one" factor. And of course, webOS is toast now.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
    05-30-2013 09:45 PM
    It works, everythings integrated and it has all i need at the moment and since i already own an x360 and have a live account it made sense to integrate it all together.

I also came up from windows mobile into wp7 and now wp8. When the original iphone was released i did think it was quite good and at the time it was in my opinion superior to other handsets. Unfortunately it now falls behind other OS's and apple need to do something major with their next version or they will start to lose more people.

Android i have never liked and it still now looks a mess. I think the issue is that it has so many different variations and you will never be guaranteed any updates, whereas microsoft set out specific device rules that people like HTC and Nokia had to follow (cpu, minimum memory etc)

At present i am quite happy with WP8's progress and unless they screw up big time i can see myself sticking with future versions.
    05-31-2013 06:35 AM
    Thanks for the replies thus far. This is helpful!

What do you think about the virtual keyboard and typing experience on WP8?
    05-31-2013 08:01 AM

Keyboard is sweet. Autocorrect takes a minute to get used to you, but then..... YUM!!!! I can hash put stuff in mere seconds, and once your "style" is recognized, you almost NEVER have to backspace.
    But Talk to Text, that is frickin awesome too!! LOVE it when I'm around driving. DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE. Wait for a red light at the very least. :D
    05-31-2013 08:13 AM
    Cos of Nokia, but outside Meego there was no other OS that would've even remotely interested me but WP, but still, mostly Nokia
    05-31-2013 08:17 AM

I have found it to be by far the best. It lacks features like swype but the stock keyboard is wonderful. The word prediction is amazing to the point where I can type one letter and use auto-suggested words to type the whole message. It corrects spelling the best of any OS I've used. It also suggests proper nouns like "Microsoft", "Apple", and even "Android" (as opposed to just plain dictionary words). It's a very clean and efficient way to type. Android felt like it was always in my way and iOS spell correction is a joke in comparison.
    05-31-2013 08:26 AM
    Price. The Lumia 521 cost $129.88 plus tax.
    05-31-2013 11:32 AM
    XBox Live integration with games... Lol, it's rare I DL a game that doesn't support XBox Live.

Also was bored with iOS.... It's funny, but every once in a while, I get a little bored with WP, but then I change my theme color and rearrange/resize a few tiles and I'm happy again.

Oh, and the live tiles... As a part time developer, I like playing with my apps tile icons... On my Beer Knurd app, the back of the tile is upside (not sure I've noticed that on any other tiles). Right now I'm toying with how I want my "PIP" app's tile to look... So far, this is where I stand with it...

wp_ss_20130531_0002.jpg
    Last edited by sinime; 05-31-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    anon(6038817) and WPmunkey like this.
    05-31-2013 11:51 AM
    WP8 is just too smooth and stable. My lumia 920 never crashed or rebooted, but i suffer from battery drains due to some bug installed apps or weak lte signal. I may have miss Real Racing 3, Temple Run 2/ Oz, Subway Surfer, but i can live with it i still have my nexus 7 when i get really bored.
    05-31-2013 11:53 AM
    I have owned an iPhone since they first came out. It was awesome and was very capable. Last year I started becoming more and more dissatisfied with it. You have to pay for EVERYTHING. Customization was lacking so I jailbroke it. I was finally able to change what I wanted and get what I wanted, but it was like living in the shadows. It just turned dull.

My wife was due for an upgrade on her phone (iPhone 3GS) so we went to ATT to upgrade her to the 4S since the price had come down (right after the 5 launch). While she was talking to the rep I wandered around playing with different phones. The one that really caught my attention was the Lumia 920. The screen was vibrant, the colors bright, the size was just right, the features were better than the iPhone, the price was unbelievable, the camera was awesome, and it was just different. I tried it out for about 20 min while my wife talked. They didn't have the iPhone in the white so we left empty handed and intentions of returning two days later to get her phone. Those two days I couldn't stop thinking about the 920. My iPhone 4 just seemed dull and boring.

We returned to ATT two days later to pick up the iPhone 4S and while they were doing the paperwork I wandered back to the 920 and played some more. Again it just captivated me, for 15 more minutes. When my wife was done and had her new phone ($99) I had decided to upgrade mine to the 920 (also $99!).

I didn't really know what I was jumping into and while we were doing the paperwork I almost got cold feet. Jumping ship from Apple seemed like such a big change. All my music, photos, contacts, now I have to switch everything over! What a nightmare right?! Nope. They transferred my contacts right then and there (including details such as home phone numbers, emails, addresses etc.), music was moved when I got home with the Windows phone transfer program, email accounts synced, and I was ready to go in a few hours. It was pretty painless. The built in and included features are worth way more than the $99. With an internal storage of 32GB, built in wireless charging, Nokia Drive (GPS app included!), Nokia Maps, Nokia Music (like Pandora), and the great camera it really is a great value. The apps included here would have to be purchased if on another platform, a special case bought for the wireless charging, and a microSD card bought to get this kind of storage on some other phones.

Looking back I wish I had done it sooner. My 920 is so refreshing, different yet competitive, unique, and functional. Yes there have been some growing pains with some apps not available yet but they are coming. I think what really sold me on Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 is when I got my Asus tablet. The two systems are nearly the same. It's so nice having everything working together, I don't have a different operating system for every gadget anymore (except for my desktop PC which is still running WinXP, I plan on getting a Win8 desktop in the future). I think MS is on to something with the entire ecosystem. Everything working together, integrating together, complimenting each other really is nice to see and really makes functionality just work. It just makes sense, and it's about time!
    Ian Too, sinime and anon(6038817) like this.
    05-31-2013 12:19 PM
    Hi went with WP8 as i have WP7 lumia 800, now have 920 a brilliant phone, its a very good system an improvement on WP7 and it just works for me,does the basics very well, calls/texts/ E Mails and browser is ok, now BBC I PLAYER app has arrived ten out ten,
    if Nokia did not make WP8 i would not be using it,
    05-31-2013 03:00 PM
    Because I could experience the fluidity (if not, better than) of IOS, and I could make it "mine" like an android, but less complicated.
    05-31-2013 05:10 PM
    I came from a Blackberry, which was great for the keyboard but annoying for browser, battery pulls and everything else. I was also an early iPod touch user and felt I knew iOS and Blackberry enough to want to try something different.

Windows Phone's swipe interface appeals to me, it's more dynamic than iOS and interesting to use. It's also very functional, and great for the purposes I need it for. Calls are crisp and clear. Texting is simple. The email and calendar are both superb, and being able to swipe to view events as a task list is very useful in calendar. The keyboard has been lauded as the best touch keyboard out there by some tech blogs, and this is probably true - the keys are just right, the auto words above the keyboard that appear as you type are really useful, and being able to press on letters and get extra options is another nice feature.

Overall there's tons to like, and Blackberrys are nice and all but WP's interface and being able to pin what you want exactly where you want is much more functional in my opinion.

If you get a Nokia, Nokia phones also come with lots of useful bonus apps to enhance photography, music and navigation experiences.
    05-31-2013 06:29 PM
    I chose to try WP8 because I just wanted some different and new. At the time I had a galaxy nexus with only 16Gb storage, and I use my phone as a media player so I needed more storage. This is one of the reasons I went with the L920. 6-7months later I now have 3 Win8 devicee (Desktop, Surface Pro, 920)
    05-31-2013 06:31 PM
47 12