Microsoft FINALLY turning the corner???

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Are they? It just seems like the past month has been great for Microsoft.

-New Outlook.com plus features (Adding google talk)
-Xbox One
-New Lumia Phones
-New Apps (Halo, Rayman, Jetpack Joyride, MSN, 3rd party Snapchat and Instagram, etc)
-New updates to the Surface (Windows 8.1, Outlook)

There probably is even a few more I am missing. Just seems like I am hearing a lot of positive things recently and their products are being more in the news. I still think Windows Phone is going to keep growing and expanding. They need Blackberry 10 to be a bust and to get into the corporate world to pick up some more shares.

Thoughts?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think BlackBerry 10 is going to be a bust. Their flagship Q10 is rolling out in the U.S. this week and, by most accounts, it is already doing very well overseas. This is the phone diehard CrackBerries and physical keyboard fans have been waiting for, and I think it will do better than expected. BB has also announced the Q5, a cheaper alternative to the Q10 targeted at emerging markets. BB still enjoys some popularity in certain areas of the world, and as long as they don't drastically mess up the roll-out of their BB10 devices, I think they will be able to right their ship.

That said, BlackBerry devices are built, first and foremost, around communication and productivity and run the risk of being able to only attract a niche market. I think most people today are more interested in content consumption (apps, music, movies, books). iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon are the clear leaders where that is concerned. BlackBerry has tried to do some of this through BlackBerry World, but it just can't compare at this stage in the game.

In short, BlackBerry devices excel at communication and productivity, but are weak for content consumption. iOS and Android devices excel at content consumption, but are weak for communication and productivity.

Windows Phone 8 intrigues me because, from what I know about it, I think it has the potential to be very good at BOTH content consumption AND communication/productivity. It's still a little rough around the edges, but I think it is getting close to finding a great balance between those 2 extremes. And once it finds that balance, I think it will really surge in popularity as a mobile computing platform.

I've been pretty set on getting a BlackBerry Q10, but the more I learn about WP8, the more I want to just grab a Lumia 521 to try it out and see if it will hook me.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Its always interesting to me how the OP of a thread can make comment to his thread topic and instead of addressing the topic one small statement becomes the focus. This time lets not turn this into a BB thread and instead lets address the topic.

Please stay on topic in this thread.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Its always interesting to me how the OP of a thread can make comment to his thread topic and instead of addressing the topic one small statement becomes the focus. This time lets not turn this into a BB thread and instead lets address the topic.

My apologies. I thought my post addressed the OP quite well. I talked about Android, iOS and WP8 in addition to BlackBerry. It was certainly not my intention to turn this in to a "BB thread". Again, I'm sorry if it came across that way.

If we're discussing whether or not Microsoft is finally turning the corner, its competition needs to be a part of the discussion, does it not?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It is nice to see things on an upswing these last few weeks. Besides the things the OP mentioned, I like the new ads that have been coming out lately and getting a positive response. And from the rumors in various posts on the forums, it looks like there are more things coming in the near future.

fatpigeon

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Let's just hope they aren't turning the corner like this:
Boating-fail-crash-party-hard.gif

Though what with Windows 8, it's hard to tell.

You do kind of get the sense that things are finally if not starting to slot into place, then the places where the slots are supposed to be are at least sort of emerging out of the fog. But it's only recently, and it only takes some moron at the Verge to froth at the mouth following WWDC and carpet-bomb the web with Apple stories - and the perception of momentum could be lost again.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me they are making the bold moves they were known for back in the day. I do like the new XBOX. Saving up as we speak.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
WP8 is not ready for the corporate world. MS has chosen to sell to consumers. They are copying the Apple model: make a consumer device with consumer services and rely on the consumerization of IT.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

No offence Dave, but I feel Newfangled's post was on topic seeing as the OP talked about BB10 having to be a bust at the end of his post, just sayin ;)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
No offence Dave, but I feel Newfangled's post was on topic seeing as the OP talked about BB10 having to be a bust at the end of his post, just sayin ;)

I disagree. Of course he doesn't have to agree about BB being a bust. But there was no need for a post about why it will succeed. There is a forum here at WPC where he can extol the virtues of BB all day. The gist of the thread is MS turning the corner not the viability of another OS.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. Of course he doesn't have to agree about BB being a bust. But there was no need for a post about why it will succeed. There is a forum here at WPC where he can extol the virtues of BB all day. The gist of the thread is MS turning the corner not the viability of another OS.

Then the OP went off topic by mentioning BB in the first place.

He implied BB needs to tank for WP8 to be viable in the corporate world.

I said BB probably won't tank, but WP8 can still be viable if they strike a good balance between content consumption and communication/productivity.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But again, I wasn't trying to derail the thread.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
At the risk of going off subject, because I want to go back on subject, which is actually a different subject from from these past posts on this thread which is about a subject other then what is being discussed.....

I am still concerned about MS. I love their vision, but I am not sure at what point that vision becomes an effective set of products and services. I know they have the means to make a solid ecosystem, but they just seem to be still a large corporation trying to fit unmatched pieces together instead of one company with a single goal. The transition to a mobile based world will be almost complete in a few more years, and I worry MS will be more of a service provider as opposed to a leader in systems.

I love the fact they are trying to "turn the corner" and have a complete world of mobile OS, entertainment, business solutions, and services. But the snails pace they are moving I am worried the entire street will have changed by the time they make that left turn.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I said BB probably won't tank, but WP8 can still be viable if they strike a good balance between content consumption and communication/productivity.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But again, I wasn't trying to derail the thread.

Exactly

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
At the risk of going off subject, because I want to go back on subject, which is actually a different subject from from these past posts on this thread which is about a subject other then what is being discussed.....

I am still concerned about MS. I love their vision, but I am not sure at what point that vision becomes an effective set of products and services. I know they have the means to make a solid ecosystem, but they just seem to be still a large corporation trying to fit unmatched pieces together instead of one company with a single goal. The transition to a mobile based world will be almost complete in a few more years, and I worry MS will be more of a service provider as opposed to a leader in systems.

I love the fact they are trying to "turn the corner" and have a complete world of mobile OS, entertainment, business solutions, and services. But the snails pace they are moving I am worried the entire street will have changed by the time they make that left turn.

Now that is an interesting subject...lol

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree at all.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think MS needs to turn any corners. They appear to be doing well enough money wise to just need to maintain their momentum. You could argue that the new apps aren't really that important. They could/should have showed up much earlier, but they didn't. Still no official Steam or Instagram. (For those who care about picturesque food) Also the X1 is hardly the publicity that MS needed. It's been generally received poorly from what I've been able to find. I really don't think that BB's downfall is needed to make way for WP8. I think that a reduced market share of Android and Apple is more likely at this time. I am kinda disappointed that only Lumias are being released. I'd like to see more manufacturers pick up the platform. A single platform for an OS might make for a smooth experience, but it limits ultimate market share.

As for 8.1? I think that's an excellent move. I would be surprised if Win8 didn't pickup more steam after 8.1 drops.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft is turning the corner WP8 is being adopted by more and more smartphone users. The writer for WPC can't seam to get the good news articles written fast enough these days. I believe this is because people are starting to see a need for WP integration with their other devices. Here is the hold back though. Microsoft needs to silence the critics to punch through. The negative press caused by the dislikes from people like us the WP community. Windows Phone 8 is missing a few basic features these need to be addressed. I am clueless why these things don't just get done already. I know there is nothing that IOS, Android or BB can offer that is worth giving up what WP does better. That said if Microsoft will silence the critics it will help WP not only turn a corned but will propel WP way down the road.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)