What is your favourite search engine.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I am a Mac and iPhone user. Since Apple recently struck a deal with their old friend and enemy Microsoft, by using Bing services for Siri, I decided to take the Bing Challenge.

My history: I was previously a Google user, Android, all Google services etc. Upon starting my PhD, I bought Office for obvious reason and saw the value in SkyDrive, which turned to be my favourite cloud service. I have a good Outlook.com email address which I can?t use because of lack of IMAP or something similar for OSX, but I left Gmail for iCloud. I decided to try to get Google out of my life and my services seemed to be between Microsoft and Apple. So why not Bing.

Results: For my work (natural and applied sciences) Bing wins hands down. My results are much more precise. I was really, really surprised and I have seen that Bing has drastically improved since the last time I used it.

What do you guys use? I must assume its Bing as your are Windows users.

P.S. Google Maps still seem to be best all round mapping service. If someone can better them in that area, I can live a Google free life.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use bing as it fits my needs and has better results. I also use bing for the bing rewards and it is tied into my windows phone.

#1 reason why I use bing thou is because of the better results and because I dislike google.

mitunchidamparam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i use google still, but i think nokia maps are much better than google maps
here in netherlands, nokia maps is much better
city lens, off line navigation are a big deal breaker

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Why do you guys prefer Nokia maps? I find Google has a lot more information, lots more POIs, and street view. Granted on the iPhone Apple is now surprisingly more accurate than Google Maps for me, but I still prefer Google maps.

Live Long and Prosper using Tapatalk II

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I use Nokia maps for directions and mostly google for searching. Reason for google: Bing is still in beta in my country and some features (e. g. filter results by date) are missing. Making google the better tool for me for searching. Reason for Nokia maps: I could so far always rely on their street maps and driving directions. And that's the most important for me. I know satellite maps are better on Google and there is no street view, but these are features I use rarely.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I initially used bing in spite of google and just got used to it. It's functional enough for me and has become my primary search engine.

I don't use maps all the time but they all seem to work fine in my usage.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If I'm on my phone: Bing and Nokia
If I'm on my computer: google maps and 50/50 between Bing and Google (Bing is my default coz of the rewards, but old habits die hard, and I end up typing google on my browser a lot anyways :p)

Trehanx12

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Google. Bing is still in Beta outside America and it's extremely outdated, I'd prefer it if they bothered to give international updates.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Generally on the computer I tend to use Google. Sometimes I'll use Bing if I want to search for something really quick (I have it setup so that what I type in the URL bar searches through Bing). On the phone I use Bing. Generally speaking whenever I use Bing I don't really notice a big difference between the two unless I've already searched for something using Google and I'm looking fore a specific result, sometimes Bing won't show that result.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Bing for a few reasons. I will admit to being a bit of a MS ******, but the fact is that I was constantly getting better search results when I decided to give Bing a chance upon getting Windows 8. In fact, my fiancee who is definitely not a ****** (or a girl :p) of Microsoft has come to the same conclusion and has switched into using Bing instead of Google.

The other reasons are a bit more fanboyish and comes down to Bing serving the rest of the Windows-ecosystem I have better.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
On this forum it's 50-50 it seems between bing and google. Everywhere else in the world it's probably like 95-5 Google.

True story! And whatever happened to Yahoo?
I use Google just because I've always used it in the past, and my homepage is iGoogle...until they kill that off!

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I find that it depends what im searching.

Bing is generally more accurate when you know what you are actually searching for. Its more "relevant" and doesn't smash adds down your face as if they were results.

That said, google is much better for vague searches (when your not quite sure what you are after) and much better at reverse image search.

So i tend to use bing as a prime search and google as backup and image search.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I typically use Bing for general searches (mainly because my homepage is msn.com), but when I'm looking for information that is hard to find using a typical search string, I think Google is better.

One search type where Bing is definitely superior to Google is video searches. The way Bing lays out the video results is very convenient.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre