Microsoft: Falling apart or coming back?

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Apple devices are predicted to outsell windows devices soon, android is being put on desktops and laptops, and Windows 8 adoption hasn't been the greatest. But after Microsoft's Windows reorganization, do they have a shot at the market? We also know that WP's US marketshare doubled from 3 percent to 6 percent and in Europe the marketshare is even higher. But my question to you is, will WP and Windows RT go down as an Xbox- Like comeback that just took time, or another Zune- Like scenario?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So, how many of these threads are we going to have every month?

Android on desktops and laptops is a niche market at best, just look at the numbers, they don't even count in most of the analysts' reporting. Apple products have actually slowed growth (especially the iPhone). And Windows Phone is the fastest growing.

Windows 8 is not doing as bad as people claim. It nearly sold the same number of licenses in the first 6 months as Windows 7 and that's with a slowing PC market, and lack of motivation to upgrade (since Windows 7 is so good).

I think where Microsoft is heading is awesome, its the best they've ever been. But it is true the competition is tough. Also some people just can't handle the drastic change Microsoft is pushing, but they'll get over it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I say that Microsoft will probably give WP a solid 5 more years. If marketplace penetration stays the same as it is now, they'll tank it like they did Zune. (Note that I didn't mention Kin, because Kin had zero successes, and Zune got a good-sized base of users, many of whom can be found here on WPCentral :cool:)

I don't understand the first part of your statement though... Apple devices already do outsell Windows devices. iPhone is clearly leading in the phone space (not when compared to Android though), I imagine they sell many more iPads than Surfaces, and manufacturers are terrible at marketing their Windows 8 tablets.

I do think that Windows RT will go down in flames no matter what. I hardly know what it is, and it seems too restrictive. Put Windows 8 on everything and call it a day. Microsoft will be fine as long as it has Windows, Xbox, and Office though. Right now, they just have to keep on keeping on with Windows 8 and pushing forward with what they believe is the future of using a computer and an OS. It doesn't help that there is a lot of negative chatter and misinformation out there right now. My mom just last night told me that she heard/read that Windows 8 is like Vista so she doesn't want it.

Windows 8.1 is a good next step though. And then someone needs to light up a fire under the WP team.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I say that Microsoft will probably give WP a solid 5 more years. If marketplace penetration stays the same as it is now, they'll tank it like they did Zune. (Note that I didn't mention Kin, because Kin had zero successes, and Zune got a good-sized base of users, many of whom can be found here on WPCentral :cool:)

I don't understand the first part of your statement though... Apple devices already do outsell Windows devices. iPhone is clearly leading in the phone space (not when compared to Android though), I imagine they sell many more iPads than Surfaces, and manufacturers are terrible at marketing their Windows 8 tablets.

I do think that Windows RT will go down in flames no matter what. I hardly know what it is, and it seems too restrictive. Put Windows 8 on everything and call it a day. Microsoft will be fine as long as it has Windows, Xbox, and Office though. Right now, they just have to keep on keeping on with Windows 8 and pushing forward with what they believe is the future of using a computer and an OS. Windows 8.1 is a start. And then someone needs to light up a fire under the WP team.
Lolz. IOS devices outsell Windows Phones and tablets, but soon Apple computers and iOS devices will outsell Windows mobile (Tab and Phone) and computers from HP, Dell etc (Anything running a MS os.)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Lolz. IOS devices outsell Windows Phones and tablets, but soon Apple computers and iOS devices will outsell Windows mobile (Tab and Phone) and computers from HP, Dell etc (Anything running a MS os.)
Ouch. Shows how mobile and on-the-go we all are these days. Like the home telephone, more and more people are going without a desktop PC. I think Microsoft putting such a drastically different, touch-friendly 2nd interface on Windows 8 (Metro/Modern) is a good thing - it's helped them transition a lot to interleaving everything into the mobile space. But I also think that if there have been more and more sales of Mac computers, that it is a direct result of people buying into the Apple ecosystem. That definitely started with the iPhone and subsequent products after that. As long as Microsoft doesn't just give up, there will just be a ton of competitive choices out there for quite some time.

There will be generations born that have no idea Microsoft ever had any kind of legitimate hold on any aspect of technology. Fact. Well, speculation... technically... ;)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Dude I understand where you're at. But right now is not really the time to judge. Cause it's too early to ask that question. Ask probably at the end of the year. So I think they are coming back

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Choice is always good for the consumer at the end of the day.

In my opinion they are making a comeback and I think they have a better grasp of the industry than their competitors. The whole DRM thing on the xbox is proof of this. They had the vision to try and push the industry where it needed to go but then realised that the consumers weren't ready for it. As with everything MS does the ideas are great but the implantation is always before its time. The fact that they are also opening up their services to their competitors also shows that they know they cannot be relevant sitting in a walled garden.

With the restructure coming up that hopefully aligns the company into one big focused machine and with windows blue and xbox one on the horizon things are looking good.

MS aren't as self cannibalistic as apple and aren't as fragmented as google, MS are one company moving towards one vision of 3 screens and the cloud.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So, how many of these threads are we going to have every month?

Android on desktops and laptops is a niche market at best, just look at the numbers, they don't even count in most of the analysts' reporting. Apple products have actually slowed growth (especially the iPhone). And Windows Phone is the fastest growing.

Windows 8 is not doing as bad as people claim. It nearly sold the same number of licenses in the first 6 months as Windows 7 and that's with a slowing PC market, and lack of motivation to upgrade (since Windows 7 is so good).

I think where Microsoft is heading is awesome, its the best they've ever been. But it is true the competition is tough. Also some people just can't handle the drastic change Microsoft is pushing, but they'll get over it.

You just come aacross as an ***, just saying

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 adoption rate will most likely skyrocket after the next few years. The only other real option is that all the people who upgrade their crappy OEM PCs and laptops would go Apple, but I dont see that happening with the price tag Apple has, unless they bring out some budget computers by that.

I'm not worried for MS.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Its very interesting. a year ago, everyone was screaming about Microsoft putting a tablet OS on a computer. Now the same people are getting excited about Android on a computer.

Microsoft saw the changing dynamics a mile away, i personally don't understand why everyone didn't see it coming.

90% of my computer use at home is on an iPad. Give me a Bluray burner in an ipad (or surface), and the ability to burn/rip disks, and i'll sell my laptop tomorrow.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You just come aacross as an ***, just saying

How so? Because I asked how many of these threads we will have?

Its true, every other week someone posts nearly an identical thread. All these turn out is people speculating based on their personal interests. Not a single one of us can accurately judge the future of all of this. And the OP seems really bent on iOS taking over the world which simply isn't true.

Just look at the news on iPhone sales, their growth is slowing. And the US isn't the only market. Windows Phone has been creeping up in many countries around the world. The iPhones price continues to stay high while other platforms provide killer devices for a lot less. One of the main reasons Android is winning is the cheap price for everyone involved including the end user, plus it has a huge range of availability.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
How so? Because I asked how many of these threads we will have?

Its true, every other week someone posts nearly an identical thread. All these turn out is people speculating based on their personal interests. Not a single one of us can accurately judge the future of all of this. And the OP seems really bent on iOS taking over the world which simply isn't true.

Just look at the news on iPhone sales, their growth is slowing. And the US isn't the only market. Windows Phone has been creeping up in many countries around the world. The iPhones price continues to stay high while other platforms provide killer devices for a lot less. One of the main reasons Android is winning is the cheap price for everyone involved including the end user, plus it has a huge range of availability.
I'm definitely NOT bent on iOS taking over the world, trust me. IOS is on decline in some western markets, but in markets like China, they have only just begun. Windows Phone is also increasing sales worldwide, but will those increases be able to keep up with iOS and Android? I'm stating facts. If you can't handle them, then leave the thread.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 adoption rate will most likely skyrocket after the next few years. The only other real option is that all the people who upgrade their crappy OEM PCs and laptops would go Apple, but I dont see that happening with the price tag Apple has, unless they bring out some budget computers by that.

I'm not worried for MS.

I don't know. People are happy to pay the "Apple Tax". I'm one of them, own a MacBook Pro and the hardware, while not the best in specs, works like a royal charm.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

But is the main bulk of that ios devices? Are the computers just piggy backing on that to be able to make that statement? If you take away ipod, iphone and ipad, just how many computers are they selling?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. People are happy to pay the "Apple Tax". I'm one of them, own a MacBook Pro and the hardware, while not the best in specs, works like a royal charm.

Sorry, I will never buy a computer that I can't work on myself and have to take to a "genius" and his special tools to open it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I will never buy a computer that I can't work on myself and have to take to a "genius" and his special tools to open it.

That's really irksome apple calling certain store employees genius. If I took my surface RT into an apple store I would predict a sudden drop in IQ from supposed genius

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

Sure.... apple will start to make budget friendly laptops for the masses? lol... and I thought linux fans were delusional sometimes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss