What got you into Windows Phone?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I used to heavily mod my HTC HD2, forever swapping android roms. Then wp7 was ported, tried it and thought it was good, went back to android, wp7.5 was ported, tried it, loved it.

Got a gs2, missed windows phone. Sold my gs2 when 7.8 landed on the hd2.

Now i have a 920

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting Question. I absolutely loved the look os WP7 and after doing some research into it I thought it would be a welcome change. I was on a HTC Hero running Froyo and I'm the kinda guy that likes the latest stuff so while I *could* have been running stock ROMS fine I wanted to see what the latest Android ROMS were like. I didn't have enough money to upgrade my device so this was what I did to keep up. When my girlfriends phone contract had ran out I helped her to look at the options and she chose a Lumia 800. I was chuffed because it gave both of us a chance to get used to the new OS. At the time I was trying to put enough cash aside to get a flagship Nokia later in the year. I found WPCentral and became active on the forums, trying to follow how WP7 and WP8 were developing.

November came around and I got myself a Lumia 920 and I've not looked back since. Sure I had a while to get used to how WP7 worked but it wasn't my own device so I wasn't exactly sure. I got the 920 and I've been pleased with WP8's stability and performance but I'd really like MS to move quicker with the updates. Still, I have patience and I'm quite happy to see where MS take WP next.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I sell phones for Verizon for a living and I played with the lumia 822 and liked how responsive it is.

So now I have 2 phones, a galaxy s III and a lumia 822.

Which is better depends on what I'm using it for

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia -- it came with free turn by turn map, and free Office. Also, the Windows Challenge ads on YouTube.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It was the look and feel of the OS. When I first got into windows phone it was pre-nodo and I still can not believe how much was missing from the OS (not now but pre-nodo)I fell in love with it thou, I have traded up twice since, from my hd7 to the best mango phone the titan 2, and since launch my Lumia 920.

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I was a disgruntled iPhone user, and wanted to try something new! Got the LG quantum and haven't looked back from WP since! Now I have an HTC 8x and love it!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I used Nokia devices prior to BlackBerry. I had been waiting 11 months past my upgrade eligibility for RIM to release BB10, which kept getting delayed. Eventually, I got tired of waiting for RIM and got tired of the constant battery pulls/hourglass on the BlackBerry. Then I saw the Lumia 900 at CES 2012 and new that was what I wanted. I didn't know much about Windows Phone at the time, but I liked Nokia from previous experience.

Rahul Nirwan

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Simply because of Nokia. Have always been with nokia from the beginning and will always be with nokia!!!!!! And after using the phone have no doubt that windows will go a long way.... It just need to be improved in certain areas otherwise the os is nice.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
On my quest for a new phone I was going to buy an iPhone, because honestly, it's a solid, mature os. Android was too buggy and fragmented for my liking. But then I saw the 920 and I loved it.

I loved that it was different from your standard rows and Columns of apps. I loved that it was new and fresh. It seemed so vibrant! IOS and android look so dead to me now.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
the ability to display websites in desktop mode.
the smarter design.
word flow(keyboard)
the fluidity of the OS
Bing functionalities
I just don't like iOS
and its a lot safer against malwares than android.

that sums it up for me

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 822 is my first smartphone. Wasn't really interested with iPhones or Androids. To me a cellphones function was always about making calls and texts.

But when WP7 was announced I fell in love with the look and feel. Still I restrained from buying one until WP8.

Of course there are improvements that still need to be made but I love it.

I really love the superb social integration, Xbox live, cool and fresh UI.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 822 Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I wanted it for quite some time as I felt it was the right balance between customizability and usefulness. I'd never go with iPhone and had an Android but was unhappy with its performance. Older phone and older operating system true, but just felt all over the place. Windows Phone is more logical and glad the 521 came along.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
After being an iPhone owner from the very beginning, I was getting tired of the primitive app-centric UI.

I was aware of and tempted by WP7 and the Nokia Lumia 900, but it wasn't enough to get me off the Apple ecosystem.

Then when the iPhone 5 came out with a newer IOS, and all were just more of the same, it became clear to me that the only mobile phone OS that was doing anything interesting was WP8, and my choices were either move to that or wait for Android or IOS to catch up.

No regrets about my decision to move. And Apple's attempts to catch up have been weak and schizophrenic.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I simply got sick of the laggy mess of android and I tried IOS multiple times but couldn't get into it really.

Windows phones have their own shortcomings but I think this is the perfectly imperfect os for me :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos