tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup, only a month late with this post.

Report: NSA Collects Data Directly From Servers Of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook And More | TechCrunch

In a statement to TechCrunch, Microsoft said: “We provide customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to gather customer data we don’t participate in it.”

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Which Microsoft totally denied. And now we know they straight-up lie about protecting customer privacy.

"We provide customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to gather customer data we don't participate in it."

Prism is a team sport. Microsoft seems to like to play.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I will say what most of us have been told for years: If you don't want someone else to know about it, don't put it online.

Usually people used this saying when describing social networks. Hopefully, though, people thought about it with anything and everything digital. Like most people, I pretty much knew this was the case, but was just keeping it out of sight, out of mind.

Just remember, anything connected is fair game.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Which Microsoft totally denied. And now we know they straight-up lie about protecting customer privacy.

"We provide customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to gather customer data we don't participate in it."

Prism is a team sport. Microsoft seems to like to play.

Geez, always with the hyperbole and flame baiting.

You overlooked this part in the article

In a statement, Microsoft said: "When we upgrade or update products we aren't absolved from the need to comply with existing or future lawful demands." The company reiterated its argument that it provides customer data "only in response to government demands and we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers".

I guess that's not true either right? MS just totally has it out for the people that buy their products because they're just twisted and demented like that right? Yeezus.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I will say what most of us have been told for years: If you don't want someone else to know about it, don't put it online.

Usually people used this saying when describing social networks. Hopefully, though, people thought about it with anything and everything digital. Like most people, I pretty much knew this was the case, but was just keeping it out of sight, out of mind.

^^^^^This

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Geez, always with the hyperbole and flame baiting.

You overlooked this part in the article

I guess that's not true either right? MS just totally has it out for the people that buy their products because they're just twisted and demented like that right? Yeezus.

Doubleplus good!

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

That may be true, but it doesn't make it right.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
All of the big tech companies have some splainin to do. I would still be more suspicious of Google considering they're giving out customer data to corporations just for the hell of it.

People should also direct their anger towards the government and the NSA since they are the ones demanding this data under the guise of security.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Pull your head out of the sand, buddy.

The point is, you nor I really don't know what legal action the government either threatened or used to back as the foundation for such requests. What best interest would it serve for MS to willingly give that information out? Until you have evidence that they volunteered access like the two "anonymous" wireless networks recently discovered in Snowden's leaked info you really can't say much.

Plus we don't know what extent the relationship was/is between Microsoft and the government. Once we know more can we really say MS should be held accountable like the government.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll compare this to people placing mirrors in ther cubes so they can see if anyone is watching them. I don't keep any mirrors at my desk as I don't care if anyone is watching me or not. If someone wants to waste their time watching me then more power to them.

Same goes for my emails, posts, etc. I don't do anything to raise any intererst so they can collect whatever they want. About all there gonna get is me calling you all a bunch of goofballs 3-4 days a week.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Blaming MS for complying with the government's mandates is absurd. MS already knows what can happen if the government wants to punish you. They apparently comply to the level they are required and no more. If you want to point the finger, turn it to the NSA while the three other fingers are pointing back at you. Vote in people who believe the government should be limited in its scope and power or stop whining.

Too many freedoms have been voted away in the interest of "safety" when the ability to track and deal with terrorists can be achieved without all of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium