07-22-2013 09:09 PM
53 123
tools
    An all Windows strategy would be a disaster for htc. Htc would never sell as many WP as android plus wp have smaller margin as no licence fee. What i would like to see is htc making the same phones for both android and wp with the only difference being software oh and released at the same time!
    07-18-2013 12:59 AM
    An all Windows strategy would be a disaster for htc. Htc would never sell as many WP as android plus wp have smaller margin as no licence fee. What i would like to see is htc making the same phones for both android and wp with the only difference being software oh and released at the same time!
    That's pretty much what I think, although personally I feel they should keep two distinct hardware design languages, similar to the 8X and the One X (both very beautiful phones in my opinion).

Similar hardware, same release date, but a slightly different look matching the OS.

...but maybe they just don't have the resources for that.
    Last edited by Chregu; 07-18-2013 at 03:40 AM.
    07-18-2013 01:02 AM
    This would be a big change for HTC, if they only provide for one platform. They'll lose lots of customers who use HTC's Android range.
    07-18-2013 01:03 AM
    Please. Folks don't even want Nokia to go all Windows Phone, and at this moment, HTC needs their hands in as many pots as they can get
    07-18-2013 03:37 AM
    HTC are between a rock and hard place right about now. They have a great android device with the HTC One. Seems to be highly regarded in terms of reviews at least. I'm not too sure how well it sold or how profitable it was for them. I feel like it would be harder for HTC to break into Windows Phone than it would Android. Nokia offers way more in terms of apps and device selection. It seems tougher for HTC to differentiate on the WP platform than with Android. I personally think Samsung devices look stale, and HTC is offering the better quality hardware as well as a cleaner UI.
    07-18-2013 03:47 AM
    Samsung is headed down the same road that Apple is...there will be a glut on the high end market, especially since how the phones launched are still governed by the US two year contract cycle.

I'm not sure that HTC is now in a position resources wise to make 1 phone specs wise and make it for WP and Android with different designs. They would need the Tier 1 status to do so for their components and I think they lost that earlier this year...hence the One not being launched on time.

I still think that they should pick 1-2 elements, audio being one of them, and excell in that area. Nokia has chosen the camera and mapping (to a slightly lesser degree). You buy a Nokia for the camera and exclusive apps. I think HTC should go the audio + music experience route, for both hardware, accessories and exclusive apps. So "you buy a HTC because it is the best thing to listen to music and watch videos on."
    07-18-2013 06:41 AM
    I wouldn't say they should go all WP, but it would hurt to get more serious about supporting it. Just look at Nokia and how they're selling handsets like hotcakes compared to other WP OEM's. It might be tough over on the WP side as well, but it's a much less saturated market without the dominant presence of Samsung and their 50 different Galaxy phones.
    07-18-2013 10:12 AM
    If I was HTC I'd release the same phone running Andoid and WP. 1 hardware development and 2 software teams. Software being a lot cheaper than hardware to work with.
    07-18-2013 10:31 AM
    If I was HTC I'd release the same phone running Andoid and WP. 1 hardware development and 2 software teams. Software being a lot cheaper than hardware to work with.
    WP doesn't support the high-end hardware of Android phones at the moment. I'm not sure if and when this is going to change, even when for example 4-core processors and 1080p screens will be supported sometime in the future.
    07-18-2013 10:41 AM
    WP doesn't support the high-end hardware of Android phones at the moment. I'm not sure if and when this is going to change...
    This year.
    07-18-2013 10:57 AM
    This year.
    Says who (officially)? According to initial rumors we would have Blue soon ;-)

Nobody knows when the updates really are coming. Personally I believe not even Microsoft does. And then we still don't know if the range of supported CPUs will be getting broader, or if it is still limited to a small selection.
    07-18-2013 10:59 AM
    I think they should invest in Firefox OS because WP and Android are dominated by Nokia and Sammy respectively. Firefox on the other hand is up for grabs! ;)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-2013 11:23 AM
    Says who (officially)? According to initial rumors we would have Blue soon ;-)

Nobody knows when the updates really are coming. Personally I believe not even Microsoft does. And then we still don't know if the range of supported CPUs will be getting broader, or if it is still limited to a small selection.
    Mary Jo Foley was the first to report on the project codenamed 'WP Blue'. She immediately stated that it was intended to RTM in Q4 2013. A week or two later she mentioned that it would slip into Q1 2014. There were no credible rumours pointing to an earlier release date. Still, I definitely agree with the general point you are making. Software release dates are a very tricky business.

In regard to the range of supported SoCs (not CPUs), WP will always be limited to a select few (assuming Microsoft isn't about to change their strategy). There are quite a few documents and many Microsoft officials on record mentioning Microsoft's vision of a standardized hardware and software platform. I'm not sure why people aren't catching on to what that means. Maybe the benefits of that approach just don't make sense to non-developers. I don't know. Anyway, standardization is the opposite of supporting a wide range of varying hardware. Theoretically it should mean just one single SoC, but Microsoft must find a balance between that technically optimal solution and market demands.

GDR3 will certify an additional two or at most three new SoCs for use with WP.
    07-18-2013 12:28 PM
    HTC has problem at both sides, at the moment it's better them to stay at Android side, since it gives more money and has bunch of loyal fans.
    I don't get it how HTC One isn't the king of the android... S4 is just awfull, you have to be extremelly big fanboy to buy/use it.
    07-18-2013 12:33 PM
    I love how everyone here bashes HTC (edit: Correction, A lot of people). I've had a handful of their phones over the years (WM devices as well as WP devices). I had a HTC 8X before I got my 928 (mainly upgraded for the space, I sold my 8X for more than I paid for the 928, so it was a wash). The 8X is a really nice phone, it's smaller, ligher and slicker than the 928, it fits better in a pocket and actually feels better in my hands than the 928 does (I had them both at one time and did a deep compare of them, I was thinking about selling the 928 at one point). Over the years, besides a bad one time to time, they were great phones.

Crap, my HTC Trophy I had, I must of dropped that phone 75 times and watch the battery/back cover go flying across the room, many times. The phone was in mint shape and held up great, one of the most dependable phones I ever have owned (for the low end model that it was).

I would love to see HTC release a KICK A.S.S. Windows Phone 8+ device, up the line to what the Ativ S is, large great screen, good sound system, large (64gb option) amount of memory with expandable storage. A strong device to compete or beat the best of Nokia devices.

I might even be tempted to swich....and I know they can do it...
    07-18-2013 01:24 PM
    I love how everyone here bashes HTC.
    I think you are completely misreading people's statements. Nobody is bashing HTC. People are just acknowledging that HTC is in a crappy situation (and explaining why) and speculating on what HTC should do to improve their fortunes.

Nokia is also in a crappy situation.

Even WP is in a crappy situation, as not even its entire market share would be enough to support just one of these companies.
    07-18-2013 01:49 PM
    I would like HTC to concentrate more on WP only for the fact that the consumer needs more options. I am not interested in a Nokia-only WP experience, and neither should you. Nokia having a monopoly in WP is no better than Samsung having one for Android. Competition benefits the consumer.
    07-18-2013 03:49 PM
    I would like HTC to concentrate more on WP only for the fact that the consumer needs more options. I am not interested in a Nokia-only WP experience, and neither should you. Nokia having a monopoly in WP is no better than Samsung having one for Android. Competition benefits the consumer.
    I disagree. WP needs a financially successful, respected and well known hardware partner with a strong brand name. At least for now, all of WP's combined market share can't sustain such an effort. That is why I would prefer a Nokia-only WP experience, at least for the time being. One strong OEM that invests all their resources into WP benefits us much more than two weak OEMs that can barely keep themselves afloat.

Competition is only good up until the point where it becomes a circular firing squad.

Besides, Nokia's real competition is not HTC, but Samsung and Apple. The smartphone space is one of the most competitive markets in existence. Nokia has more then enough competition to keep them on their toes, with or without HTC.
    07-18-2013 04:29 PM
    It'll be an interesting thing to watch for sure.

I'd say going all-Windows Phone would be the most-likely killer, as they can't touch Nokia when Nokia has the software exclusives. HOWEVER, there's a sliver of hope with Android. That hope would be Tizen. If Samsung bails on Android in a year or two for Tizen, it could leave the established Android market open a bit, and HTC could jump on that. Otherwise, they'd need to partner with Mozilla for the Firefox OS or something, because they simply cannot match the quality of Nokia, and it'll be darned tough to match the quantity of Samsung. Their only hope is some magic fix superphone to force everyone from Samsung, or Samsung would have to be stupid enough to 100% abandon Android for Tizen, then have Tizen fail.
    07-18-2013 11:45 PM
    One good example i can think of if HTC goes full WP is...

Their epic designs. (HTC One, urm... any other suggestions?)
    07-19-2013 03:58 AM
    One good example i can think of if HTC goes full WP is...

Their epic designs. (HTC One, urm... any other suggestions?)
    For all those who complained that HTC stole Nokia's patent on "using colors outside of black, white and silver in a mobile phone", the 8X is nicely designed, along with the 8S. Nexus One, HTC Legend were great too design wise. Going back further, the Touch Diamond is still the best thing for me they made design wise.

Industrial design wise, for me HTC, Sony, Nokia are the best. I give apple some credit too. Samsung - not so much. But as we've seen, design doesn't sell handsets, performance does - along with improved after market support. Until HTC choses to make an identity based on something they can off that's better than the competition (I think it should be music), they'll be between a rock and a hard place.
    07-19-2013 07:32 AM
    Unfortunately, I think HTC are beyond recovery now. Which is a shame for me. I have a HTC Flyer and a HTC Titan. The Flyer was unique, and is still a pleasure to use (although why no dual core HTC?) and the Titan is a brilliant phone in itself. I've also had a Desire Z which was a lovely phone. I want to see HTC succeed but I think it's too late for them.
    07-19-2013 08:28 AM
    I'd like to see a one phone for both OSes. Give users choice and perhaps pick up some WP users who wouldn't have used it otherwise

Something like the HD2, just more consumer-friendly
    07-19-2013 09:24 AM
    I'd like to see a one phone for both OSes. Give users choice and perhaps pick up some WP users who wouldn't have used it otherwise

Something like the HD2, just more consumer-friendly
    I doubt that will happen. That would be too much of a niche device. If HTC has issues doing updates for Android, you're asking alot for them to do both. Again, they make good devices and are a top 4 brand in my list (I always end up with something HTC, even as a spare). But the after sales support has been a historical weakness for them (see XDA's founding) that has gotten magnified with how they handled Sense 3 and how diluted their brand became with all those damn carrier variants (pay attention, Nokia) and incremental refreshes.
    07-19-2013 05:40 PM
    Meh after swindling me with the 8X's poor design and telling me that phones always should have a case and never be put in a pocket they could completely sink for all I care... LG is even a better company IMO
    07-19-2013 07:11 PM
53 123